Thread: Blown Head 1.8l Freelander

byoung Guest

Blown Head 1.8l Freelander

I am new to the Land Rover experience. I have had the Freelander 3 months and it has blown on me. All the repairers say these are problem engines and a lot won't touch them. They say that it is likely the motor has twisted a sleeve and that only a full rebuild is the way to go. has anyone had a similar experience? Did you find a solution other than a full rebuild. Is a rebuild reliable?

Not happy

Bob

Total Downloaded
    Have you ducked down the road & spoken to Frank at ATV?

What's blown? The head gasket I assume.
    Or someting more drastic?
    Scott

Total Downloaded
    Yeah, Bob I will leave it to the more experienced Forum Users to advise you but I will tell you my experience, I don't know if it helps or not. I purchased a 2001 Freelander V6 in August of last year, vehicle in tip top condition. When all of a sudden last week there was coolant on the garage floor and what appeared to be oil in the coolant resevoir. On speaking to the local Landrover people, they gave me worst case scenario, Slipped cylinder liner, total rebuild required, cost up to $10,000 Ye Gods!!!

they couldn't book the vehicle in for two weeks so I went to my local mechanic, who I had been dealing with for years. He came back with good news (relatively speaking), the Auto transmission cooler was cactus and causing coolant and auto fluid to mix. Repair cost $1100. whew!!. The symptoms are somewhat similiar to HGF, or slipped cylinder liners, although I noticed when I idled the car in the garage the motor was running sweetly.

Good luck mate, I hope your mechanic has some good news for you!!!

Total Downloaded
    I am afraid to say - but you need to expect the worst and hope for the best - the worst being another engine - the best being a new headgasket. If you are able to rebuild yourself the I would give it a go - but if you get it done professionally then it is probably not cost effective to repair.

You might be able to source a second hand engine from TR Spares in SA and if you do get it back on the road, definitely do the required modifications to the themostat cooling system to ensure it doesn't happen again.

There is nothing basically wrong with the engine design but the thermostat system can cause overheating (heatgaskets/dropped liners) and then when it does open the cool water from the radiator causes thermal shocks to the engine causing cracks in the head etc.

You need to find someone experienced with these engines (cannot help here) - as you said most are not interested or will just want to replace the engine. Do a google on the Freelander K series engine and heaps of information will come up.

Good luck with it.

Garry
    REMLR 243

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
    1977 FC 101
    1976 Jaguar XJ12C
    1973 Haflinger AP700
    1971 Jaguar V12 E-Type Series 3 Roadster
    1957 Series 1 88"
    1957 Series 1 88" Station Wagon

Total Downloaded
    They are a very easy head gasket to do if you have mechanical knowledge. You will need to check the cylinder liner protrusion it has to be level or up to 0.075MM above block deck. This is to check for linner drop this is a common fault. If it is below block deck height it is a full strip down to the the block redecked.if ok make sure you use the steel dowels that come with new type head gaskets and they have to sit 10mm above block deck height. there is also a upgraded thermostat which is positioned in the top and bottom radiator hoses. if you do remove head yourself do not turn engine over with head off as this can pull liners from block.

kahuna Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by woko View Post
    If it is below block deck height it is a full strip down to the the block redecked.
    Woko, may you shed a light on what can be done in that case, please?

Total Downloaded
    measure how much liners have dropped. if liners are below block deck height you will need to strip engine to bare block and remove liners. You will need to have the block deck machined so liners are in spec ( 0.00mm to 0.075mm).
    I have heard but never tried that you can refit liners with Devcon and this reduces the chance of liners dropping again