Thread: Making a Bumper for a Spare Wheel Carrier

Davo is offline ChatterBox Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded

Making a Bumper for a Spare Wheel Carrier

Has anyone got information or photos or anything that could help me make a wheel carrier for the back of a Rangie Classic? The carrier itself is easy to design - it's the bumper I'm not too sure about. It's a concern how that weight would be carried, and how the new bumper would be connected to the chassis to take that weight.

So far it looks like I'll use some large square tubing for the bumper, with mounting brackets welded to it. And it looks like some additional mounts will have to go from this bumper back to the chassis rails.

But what size tubing for the bumper? And where would the additional support go to on the chassis exactly?
    At any given point in time, somewhere in the world someone is working on a Land-Rover.

Total Downloaded
    No photos, but some info; I built a wheel carrier onto one of the ubiquitous ARB rear bars, unfortunately sold it when I was between Rangies.
    I welded a trailer stub axle upright into each end of the bar by cutting an appropriate size hole in the horizontal surface and some beefy reinforcing underneath, used a stock trailer hub welded into the carrier arm as the hinge. I figured that if the chassis mounting for this bar was strong enough to tow a 4500kg trailer, it could carry a wheel and tyre. My plan was to have a wheel carrier on one side and a couple of jerry cans on the other side, never got around to doing the jerry can carrier but had the spare wheel mount with a chainsaw bracket plus shovel holder.

Total Downloaded
    Hello Davo have a look at my pics and see if these will help

Brad
    Range Rovers Have Charactors inside them
    LROCWA Ex member 23 years
    1971 Series 2A
    2004 Discovery2a V8 Auto
    2003 Discovery2a TD5 Manual
    1982 4door man (sadly now gone)
    1989 Vogue auto
    2011 TDV8 Vogue
    What would life be without a Rangie?

Homestar is offline Super Moderator & CA manager Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Hi Davo, although I didn't make the bumper on my classic, I did make/modify part of a wheel carrier to suit the bar I bought. I got hold of an ARB rear step bar, and these are very strong, and attach very stongly to the back of the chassis. I then grafted the wheel carrier into this, and it holds up really well. There is quite a bit more to a wheel carrier that you might think once you start building one. I got a few parts from Rijidij to help me on my way - he makes some great stuff, that is well engineered and well priced.

I managed to score the ARB bumper off flea bay for just over $100. If you want something different, and are set on building your own, there are plenty of mounting points on the chassis - pull the old bumper off, and you will see what I mean. I would start from there, make the brackets to suit, then graft the bumber onto it. There are a couple of threads on here that show some good custom home made bars, but I couldn't find any doing a quick search - I have just come across them browsing from time to time.

I can post a few pics this weekend of what I built, and how the bar is mounted when I am back from interstate if you want me to.

Cheers - Gav
    If you need to contact me please email homestarrunnerau@gmail.com - thanks - Gav.

Total Downloaded
    Thanks guys! Great photos there, Brad. Just about what I was thinking of.

I have made a carrier for my Landie but that was easy. With the Rangie you can't do it the same way and I was wondering how a bumper would hold it all but that's explained it well.
    At any given point in time, somewhere in the world someone is working on a Land-Rover.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by bacicat2000 View Post
    I got a few parts from Rijidij to help me on my way - he makes some great stuff, that is well engineered and well priced.
    I've been eyeing off his kit thinking I might make a carrier for the D4 at some stage.
    MY12 RRV 4.4 TDV8 AB, +LLAMS, +e-diff, +ACC stop/go. Produce LLAMS for LR/RR, Jeep GC/Dodge Ram
    VK2HFG and APRS W1 digi

RufRangie Guest
    I would make sure i had a good heavy duty piece of "C" section as the bumper basis, that way you know that part will never let go and will take the inevitable hits when off road. Just a matter of building on to that then with your chosen configuration.

That's how i plan to do mine again as i have done one previously as a bullbar base on a '64 falcon ute and it lasted 22 years with plenty of roo hits in that time! I believe it is in Sydney now as a business vehicle and he said he was keeping the bar on it.

Cheers..........................Pete!

Total Downloaded
    You're right there, but I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere so it's hard to get steel. I do have a long bit of 75mm x75mm x3mm and thought that may do it for the wheel carrier with a bit of strengthening in the right places.