Thread: Water sloshing sound coming from the dash?

Total Downloaded

Water sloshing sound coming from the dash?

Hi,
    Has anyone ever had a funny water sloshing sound coming our of the dash? It sounds like there is half a bottle of milk hiding in there somewhere and when I go around corners, it can hear it.
    Its a 97 Disco 1 V8.
    no matter how hard i look, i cant seem to sourse where the sound is.
    Has anyone ever experienced this before?

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by j_nake View Post
    Hi,
    Has anyone ever had a funny water sloshing sound coming our of the dash? It sounds like there is half a bottle of milk hiding in there somewhere and when I go around corners, it can hear it.
    Its a 97 Disco 1 V8.
    no matter how hard i look, i cant seem to sourse where the sound is.
    Has anyone ever experienced this before?

Hello this may help from under the car check your air con drain pipes there are 2 just at the side of the gearbox may be blocked

Total Downloaded
    We had similar in our V8 DII, I can bet you have low water quantity in your engine/radiator. For our DII a leaking head gasket was the culprit, I had chased the sloshing sound for quite sometime but did not put 2 & 2 together for a while. But what the sloshing sound around corners transpired to be was every time I accelerated out of a corner, as the engine rpm increased, the water flow though out the engine must have increase causing the water to make the sloshing sound in the heater matrix.

First step check your water quantity, if it is low fill it up & I bet your sloshing sound vanishes on your next drive.

For me a new set of head gaskets solved the problem, now no more sloshing sounds from the heater.

Total Downloaded
    low coolant X2
    "How long since you've visited The Good Oil?"

'93 V8 Rossi
    '97 to '07. sold.
    '01 V8 D2
    '06 to 10. written off.
    '03 4.6 V8 HSE D2a with Tornado ECM
    '10 to '21
    '16.5 RRS SDV8
    '21 to Infinity and Beyond!

1988 Isuzu Bus. V10 15L NA Diesel
    Home is where you park it..

[IMG][/IMG]

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by cols110 View Post
    We had similar in our V8 DII, I can bet you have low water quantity in your engine/radiator. For our DII a leaking head gasket was the culprit, I had chased the sloshing sound for quite sometime but did not put 2 & 2 together for a while. But what the sloshing sound around corners transpired to be was every time I accelerated out of a corner, as the engine rpm increased, the water flow though out the engine must have increase causing the water to make the sloshing sound in the heater matrix.

First step check your water quantity, if it is low fill it up & I bet your sloshing sound vanishes on your next drive.

For me a new set of head gaskets solved the problem, now no more sloshing sounds from the heater.
    yes thank you

Total Downloaded
    Hi J-nake, if you feel inclined take the wiper motor out and have a look to right side inside the car. This was where I found the water leak in my 300TDi, water was coming through the 5 layers of metal in the corner.
    Might help.

Adrian

kippakoop Guest
    hi, what you have is an air lock in your heater core, what your hearing is the water passing through the cavity. it probably makes the sound when you rev or take off, right

Have you just had your heater core flushed or removed a hose on your coolant system? if not you engine could be sucking air somewhere, such a symtom as your explaining should not be taken lighty as it could be an early warning to a head gasket problem.

get a preasure test done soon......very cheap save you thousands.

also the airlock will need to be removed, no biggy.

good luck...........

Total Downloaded
    Thanks guys, this will give me a few things to look at over the weekend. I know the coolant level is fine, but ill check over everything to be safe - it sounds like a few people have experienced a few similar problems.

Ill let you all know what I find.

Johnno

Total Downloaded
    Hi there,

I've recently bought a 98 discovery 1, 3.9L Petrol/LPG. Also having the same problem as you with this water sloshing noise. Just been for a new fuel pump last week and a service at 246,000km. Engine got really hot last weekend and after checking coolant was slightly low. Not sure if the service garage didn't put enough in or there was an air lock. it's all topped up and level remains good with no overheating since. No milky looking oil when I check dip stick. After arriving to work today saw the post on air lock in heater core so have bled this to see if the problem is still there.

Just joined this forum and already it's paying dividends - cheers everyone.

Total Downloaded
    [QUOTE=kippakoop;1525618]also the airlock will need to be removed, no biggy.
    QUOTE]

Do you have a procedure for how to do this? Mine has the same sloshing noise so would like to get it sorted.