Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchase of a 2000 Disco2 td5

Total Downloaded

Purchase of a 2000 Disco2 td5

Hi all

I'm new to the forum and I must say its fantastic. I'm looking for some advice as I've been eyeing a 2000 disco2 td5 which has had some mods completed for improved off road capabilities. I don't know much about the vehicle in terms of things to look for. It does have around 200,000 klms on the clock and looks in reasonable shape. It's my first dip back into a Disco after quite afew years as I had a v8 1997 which I had plenty of problems with, but just love the look and feel of the Dico and can't bring myself to looking at any other 4wd. The car will be a weekend toy. Any advice or guidance anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated..... Thanks heaps.

Total Downloaded
    Welcome Chris,

here is a link to an example of some thoughts found searching the forum about this question.

give searching a go for your answers there is heaps already posted out there.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/discovery-...ce-please.html

Total Downloaded
    Hi Chris and welcome to the pleasure and pain of the Disco td5 league.
    I bought my 2000 td5 at 194000km about 2 years ago.
    A short list of repairs follows: First week: new alternator, and starter solenoid, about $1300.00.
    Bit later: head overhaul, new oil cooler, new radiator etc etc...$4750.00.
    Recently: Front driveshaft, around $500.00, brake pads and rotors $500 odd, rear airbags $350.00 (check if yours has SLS self-levelling suspension.)
    Add a few more grand for other repairs, not to mention expensive servicing (even when done by self!)

You may be lucky, but it would pay to have it checked by a Landrover-savvy mechanic. Don't pay too much. Find out if the oil pump bolt has been checked.

Having said all that, I will be keeping my Disco indefinitely, love the drive and the all-round versatility on and off road. It tows heavy loads superbly. It has taken me to special isolated places where few have trodden, even on foot.

If you are not a home mechanic, you soon will be.
    The only thing that will drain your funds more rapidly is a boat.
    Boats are fun too!

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasa57 View Post
    Hi Chris and welcome to the pleasure and pain of the Disco td5 league.
    I bought my 2000 td5 at 194000km about 2 years ago.
    A short list of repairs follows: First week: new alternator, and starter solenoid, about $1300.00.
    Bit later: head overhaul, new oil cooler, new radiator etc etc...$4750.00.
    Recently: Front driveshaft, around $500.00, brake pads and rotors $500 odd, rear airbags $350.00 (check if yours has SLS self-levelling suspension.)
    Add a few more grand for other repairs, not to mention expensive servicing (even when done by self!)

You may be lucky, but it would pay to have it checked by a Landrover-savvy mechanic. Don't pay too much. Find out if the oil pump bolt has been checked.

Having said all that, I will be keeping my Disco indefinitely, love the drive and the all-round versatility on and off road. It tows heavy loads superbly. It has taken me to special isolated places where few have trodden, even on foot.

Boats are fun too!
    I'd put an old RV bus/coach between a boat (black hole you pour money into) and a Disco! Love my disco!!!!!!! Gavin

Total Downloaded
    If you can go for a 2003_2004 D2 a,,, les s problems.Don't forget its a used car and there are cheaper ways to fix it.Don't always need new parts to keep it on the road.Find sources of quality used parts to keep the costs down ,, and shop on line with UK and US parts supplier if you need new parts.

BIG O
    2003 D2 Auto
    1999 D2 Auto Ace.

Total Downloaded

How true!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wasa57 View Post
    Boats are fun too!
    BOAT = Bring Out Another Thousand
    DISCO = Did I Say Cautious Optimism (Or in other words....Bring Out Another Thousand )

Love my 2 Discos - 04 and 02, do all of my own maintenance and have had no real issues to date although - I do admit to having a continual and never ending maintenance check list to correct any simple problem before it gets any worse.

Total Downloaded
    To give you an idea of potential problems, I have had my TD5 close to a year now, it's an 02 now with 120,000km

Here are some of the things I've had to replace/fix

Replaced the Turbo at 115k (bearings)
    Fuel Pressure reg
    Coolant block
    Fuel Gauge Float
    Transfer Case input shaft seal
    LHF Axle Seal
    Broken Manifold Studs
    Replaced Top Rad Hose due to rubbing
    Rust in rear quater windows..
    Rust in front window glass rail
    CD Player died
    Various Hoses

And various other bits and bobs...

Now I have a leak from the rear main, and a fairly warped disc after a trailer tow of about 4000km..

I dont mind the TD5 but all the little problems relating to its hoses/seals is really starting to test my faith..

If I ever tow a loaded trailer with it again, I'll definately opt for a chip upgrade.. Trying to take a road train, even on the stuart h/way was not the most enjoyable experience.

Total Downloaded
    Just for comparison, I've had my 2000 TD5 Disco just over 12 months, I've done 25000km so far, and all I've really had go wrong is the alternator, which I pulled out and had it repaired for $170. Oh, and one turbo hose and a pair of tie rod ends. I've done all the services myself. No regrets here.

Total Downloaded
    Hi Chris,

As a Disco newby myself (99 TD5) and mechanical novice, I bought mine a few months ago with a complete service history as well as documentation every repair ever done since 99... thousands of $$ worth of receipts.

I have the brakes to do (rotors and pads) soon and have spent plenty of time reading about how to do it (including you tube clips)...

I am just looking for a second pair of hands to make sure that I don't completely f### it up!!

I just see it as my new hobby.

Scotty

Total Downloaded
    Hi Scotty / all

Coincidentally I just finished changing the brake pads and rotors on my 2000 Disco.
    As usual the excellent pics and advice on www.discovery2.co.uk made it easier. Took about 5 hours by myself. Use plenty of jacks, stands, and wheel chocks for safety. Be prepared for a battle removing some of the rotors, especially if yours has been through the outback mud and / or seawater.
    Clean & lube the sliders while you are at it.

If you have a 99-2000 (or later with high milage) model that hasn't had the head gasket replaced, keep a close eye on the coolant resevoir for leakage (concealed or revealed.) as this is often the first sign of head gasket failure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast