Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 cylinder Isuzu diesel - capacity?

Lionelgee is offline YarnMaster Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded

4 cylinder Isuzu diesel - capacity?

Hello Isuzu Landy type people,

I took possession of my Series III which I bought sight unseen off eBay and dropped it off at a relative's place in Tamworth.

It is in an ex-Army Series III built in 10/1980. It has a 4 cylinder Isuzu diesel motor fitted to the standard Land Rover gearbox. The vehicle is in Tamworth and I am in Bundaberg.

Unfortunately, I did not have time to check engine numbers while I picked it up, transported and unloaded it so I cannot provide engine numbers to assist with isolating which exact motor it might be.

So could someone assist me in working out what capacity Isuzu 4 cylinder motors were around that could have been fitted into a 1980 Land Rover at some stage? It is a non-turbo if that helps.

Kind Regards
    Lionel

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionelgee View Post
    Hello Isuzu Landy type people,

I took possession of my Series III which I bought sight unseen off eBay and dropped it off at a relative's place in Tamworth.

It is in an ex-Army Series III built in 10/1980. It has a 4 cylinder Isuzu diesel motor fitted to the standard Land Rover gearbox. The vehicle is in Tamworth and I am in Bundaberg.

Unfortunately, I did not have time to check engine numbers while I picked it up, transported and unloaded it so I cannot provide engine numbers to assist with isolating which exact motor it might be.

So could someone assist me in working out what capacity Isuzu 4 cylinder motors were around that could have been fitted into a 1980 Land Rover at some stage? It is a non-turbo if that helps.

Kind Regards
    Lionel
    Not enough info to go on Lionel, unless you have pictures.

It is most likely a 4J or 4B family though (or possibly a C240). If the exhaust is on the driver's side then 4J.

If the exhaust is on the passenger side (but intake on the DS) then 4B.

If both exhaust and intake are on the PS then C240.

The C240 (industrial/forklift engine) was a common fitment, though very underpowered (no better than a 2.25D).

If you have a 4B series engine then it could be:
    4BA1
    4BB1
    4BC1/2
    4BD1
    4BE1

I have seen up to 4BB1/4BC1 engines fitted to series with standard boxes (though no idea how long the box would last!).

Total Downloaded
    could possibly be a 3.3 Isuzu

Total Downloaded

Update

Quote Originally Posted by isuzurover View Post
    Not enough info to go on Lionel, unless you have pictures.

It is most likely a 4J or 4B family though (or possibly a C240). If the exhaust is on the driver's side then 4J.

If the exhaust is on the passenger side (but intake on the DS) then 4B.

If both exhaust and intake are on the PS then C240.

The C240 (industrial/forklift engine) was a common fitment, though very underpowered (no better than a 2.25D).

If you have a 4B series engine then it could be:
    4BA1
    4BB1
    4BC1/2
    4BD1
    4BE1

I have seen up to 4BB1/4BC1 engines fitted to series with standard boxes (though no idea how long the box would last!).
    Hello Isuzu Rover,

I sent the previous owner a text and the reply was 10 cm bore and stroke 3.6 litre common in 3 ton truck - does this make it a bit easier to identify?

Thank you for your earlier reply

Kind Regards
    Lionel

Total Downloaded
    Hello Isuzu Rover,

I sent the previous owner a text and the reply was 10 cm bore and stroke 3.6 litre common in 3 ton truck - does this make it a bit easier to identify?

Thank you for your earlier reply

Kind Regards
    Lionel
    That is easy then:

The 4BB1 is a 3.6L big block diesel sold in Isuzu ELF and KT light trucks from 1973 to 1979. it is a four cylinder version of 6BB1 diesel Bore 102 mm power output was 108PS.
    I have heard some talk of them snapping cranks in trucks. Don't know how true that is.

Better start stocking up on gearboxes. Turning the idle up high and not lugging the engine should help the box last.

Total Downloaded

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by isuzurover View Post
    That is easy then:

I have heard some talk of them snapping cranks in trucks. Don't know how true that is.

Better start stocking up on gearboxes. Turning the idle up high and not lugging the engine should help the box last.
    G'day Isuzurover,

Thank you for the identification it is much appreciated. I will confirm the engine number and other details when I do the trip from Tamworth to Bundaberg.

Kind Regards
    Lionel

Total Downloaded
    G'day Isuzurover,

Thank you for the identification it is much appreciated. I will confirm the engine number and other details when I do the trip from Tamworth to Bundaberg.

Kind Regards
    Lionel
    Isuzu engines usually have the engine designation cast into the block. So there should be a cast "4BB1" in 1" high letters.

Total Downloaded
    I have a 4bb1 in my Landy. It better have had a dam good clutch set up when mated to the Land rover box. Hopefully the original Isuzu clutch. Mine had a Land rover clutch and separated the spline from the clutch plate. Series three land rover clutches are way smaller. My landy now has a Isuzu clutch and gear box. The 4bb1 is a early direct injected motor, so goes quite well and has torque from very low revs. You should never need to glow before starting. I have had heavy frost on the landy and it fired in less than one revolution with out glowing the plugs. Idle should be 900 rpm any less and you will notice a just a little wee bit of shake rattle and roll, hardly noticeable.
    Cheers Hall

Total Downloaded

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hall View Post
    I have a 4bb1 in my Landy. It better have had a dam good clutch set up when mated to the Land rover box. Hopefully the original Isuzu clutch. Mine had a Land rover clutch and separated the spline from the clutch plate. Series three land rover clutches are way smaller. My landy now has a Isuzu clutch and gear box. The 4bb1 is a early direct injected motor, so goes quite well and has torque from very low revs. You should never need to glow before starting. I have had heavy frost on the landy and it fired in less than one revolution with out glowing the plugs. Idle should be 900 rpm any less and you will notice a just a little wee bit of shake rattle and roll, hardly noticeable.
    Cheers Hall
    G'day Hall,

Thanks for the information about the engine and clutch. I can't confirm what type of clutch the Land Rover has. I only had time to collect various goodies from the original owners place; load the Landy up on the car trailer and try to get at least part of the way over the Great Dividing Range before dark. Then I unloaded the Landy in Tamworth and put a tarp over it then drove back to Bundy.

Kind Regards
    Lionel

Heart in the Deep Nth of FNQ,Body in the Deep Nth of Brisneyland
    Total Downloaded

Apologies, slight thread hijack

G'Day, came across this baby:

Land Rover Defender Isuzu Engine | eBay

Someone here?
    States 5.4 Isuzu? Is there a link to an engine list, please?

Dave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast