Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Designing a Ute tray.

VladTepes is offline Major Part of the Heart and Soul of AULRO Subscriber
    Total Downloaded

Designing a Ute tray.

The trayback on my Defender could be better, so I was wondering...

What would be the ideal tray for you ?

Anything you can suggest that might be good to incorporate into a new tray or modifying the existing tray :?:

I do need some way of covering a load to keep it dry, and in place.

The only restriction is that it still must be able to be used for carrying a load. 8)
    It's not broken. It's "Carbon Neutral".

gone

1993 Defender 110 ute "Doris"
    1994 Range Rover Vogue LSE "The Luxo-Barge"
    1994 Defender 130 HCPU "Rolly"
    1996 Discovery 1

current

1995 Defender 130 HCPU and Suzuki GSX1400

BlackAdder Guest
    Pull out draw with lid(s) under the tray between the chasis. Full length, with a support leg at the end. With the lid(s) (depending on the compartments and length) it can also be used as an extra work area when camped or pulled up on the side of the road.

Total Downloaded
    have been looking at similar items of late and most builders have got the right idea, four corner posts with a sturdy top(steel) capable of holding a roof top camper configuration, with fold down sides and rear flap,tent on top, stowage below coupled with the roll out tray/table, a near perfect set up, just depends on what loadage you want to carry during work hours , but unit could be made "removable"
    just my two bobs worth! :wink: 8)

Total Downloaded
    Every defender ute tray I've ever seen has always been thirty feet off the ground, my first accessory would be a step ladder!!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Ferno, you'd be right if you get a 'fender, all those long ladders [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

seriously though ( 8O ) there must be heaps of room under the tray for all sorts of gizmos.
    "How long since you've visited The Good Oil?"

'93 V8 Rossi
    '97 to '07. sold.
    '01 V8 D2
    '06 to 10. written off.
    '03 4.6 V8 HSE D2a with Tornado ECM
    '10 to '21
    '16.5 RRS SDV8
    '21 to Infinity and Beyond!

1988 Isuzu Bus. V10 15L NA Diesel
    Home is where you park it..

[IMG][/IMG]

Total Downloaded
    Originally posted by Pedro_The_Swift

Ferno, you'd be right if you get a 'fender, all those long ladders [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

would need a hiab crane to put all "those ladders" on top! 8O 8O 8O [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Total Downloaded
    Originally posted by Pedro_The_Swift

seriously though ( 8O ) there must be heaps of room under the tray for all sorts of gizmos.
    I'm sure we're all suckers for gizmos.

gone

1996 Discovery 1

current

Total Downloaded
    BUMP :!: :!:

Part of a long-term project - collecting ideas so when I get around to it, I get it right :!:

Originally posted by fernockulated
    have been looking at similar items of late and most builders have got the right idea, four corner posts with a sturdy top(steel) capable of holding a roof top camper configuration, with fold down sides and rear flap,tent on top, stowage below coupled with the roll out tray/table, a near perfect set up, just depends on what loadage you want to carry during work hours , but unit could be made "removable"
    just my two bobs worth! :wink: 8)
    Much along the lines of what I was thinking.

Was thinking I copuld make the top of the upperworks with roof guttering for mounting a seperate roof rack etc. Probably at same height as gutters on cab.

I need to be able to remove the "upperworks" so ute can still be used as utes were meant to be used....

1) Tray and upperworks - steel or alloy :?:
    2) How can I make upperworks both removable and yet strong enough to support laden roof rack / roof top camper :?:
    3) Such a unit would be fairly heavy (I would rthink) so how could I easily remove and refit such a setup ?

Comments and feedback welcome please.

gone

1996 Discovery 1

current

BlackAdder Guest
    G'Day Vlad,

There are already several options available for this.

4 (removeable) legs that clip into locators on the unit. They have a winding handle (similar to a clothes hoist) that extend the legs down. Un-bole (un-attach) your "upper works", fit the legs, extend them and drive the (now) ute out from under them.

The legs can be carried in one of your draws or strategically mounted to your "upper works".

I personally would also add some cross bracing to make the whole thing more stable when not on the ute tray, again, stored in your drawer or on the "upper works" and put into place once the ute is removed.

Total Downloaded

try some thing like this, vlad. since this photo my mate has put a 40L fresh water tank under the tray and his 2nd battery. the camper comes off
    LAND ROVER;
    HELPING PUT OIL BACK IN THE GROUND FOR 70 YEARS
    CARS DON'T GET ANY "GREENER" THAT.

Total Downloaded
    http://www.trayon.com/

just up the coast i believe
    1998 Discovery 300TDi Manual SE7
    1996 Discovery 300TDi Auto
    2012 SZ Territory TX 2.7TDCi

"Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it." -- a warning from Adolf Hitler
    "If you don't have a sense of humour, you probably don't have any sense at all!" -- a wise observation by someone else
    'If everyone colludes in believing that war is the norm, nobody will recognize the imperative of peace." -- Anne Deveson
    “What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” - Pericles
    "The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts." Marcus Aurelius

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast