Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBQ for the D.I.Y

Total Downloaded

BBQ for the D.I.Y

:roll: had half a day to myself the other day, and finally got around to making something i had wanted for ages ,a wok bbq plate.

had seen one of these ages ago at a w/e campout ,and thought it was a good idea. 8)
    for anyone wanting to make one it is quite simple ,all that is needed is an old plow disc(the one i used was 24 inches across), four six inch half inch nuts and bolts,a large square washer,a welder,and a grinder/sander

using the grinder/sander clean the inside surface to a reasonably smooth surface , then repeat on the outside , though as much attention not neccesary,except for where attaching nuts

with the disc upside down,mark and position the four nuts equal distance around the disc,allowing enough room for a medium size gas ring to fit under, then attach via welding(either mig or arc)

then place square washer over bolt hole in centre of disc and weld in place , then filling over the small hole in the washer centre as well.

place the four bolts in the attached nuts ,and turn the plate over.
    proceed to fill in the bolt hole from the topside with weld ,then grind smooth to finish.

when ready fire up the barby with a low heat to "burn in" the suface and coat with a suitable cooking oil,and your ready to cook up a banquet!

i havent put a gas ring under mine yet as it is still in the prototype stage but will get one soon ,but works just great with small amounts of timber, and doesn't require great amounts of fuel to keep it hot, the extra washer and weld filling acts as a sort of heat bank in the base then radiates up the wok walls

also a great jack platform if stuck in sandy ground! 8O

Total Downloaded
    Hi Ferno
    They work real good,both as a BBQ/wok and a jack base as you state.
    I went with a new 24 inch plowdisc,as the old ones are getting pretty hard to get.Burning the tar off, or whatever they use to temper was a bit of a problem,had to throw it in a big fire.
    I have handles welded to the edge to get it off the fire.I didnt weld legs on as you have,but made a "trivet" to adapt it to my homemade gas fired bbq.When camping out,4 rocks are good enough to support it.
    Koonacks(yabbies your way or prawns on the coast) garlick chillies and oil TO DIE FOR :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: just throw em in live,they stop running pretty quickly
    Andrew
    DISCOVERY IS TO BE DISOWNED
    Midlife Crisis.Im going to get stuck into mine early and ENJOY it.
    Snow White MY14 TDV6 D4
    Alotta Fagina MY14 CAT 12M Motor Grader
    2003 Stacer 525 Sea Master Sport
    I made the 1 millionth AULRO post

Total Downloaded
    have thought of putting the handles on but thought they mite be awkward as it will sit nicely in the spare tyre on the roof rack. the legs are removable ,as they are just six inch long bolts ,just the nuts are welded to the disc, so if need be rocks can suffice, but hey,they do the job 8)
    just thought a few mite be interested in it as a "one day "job [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Total Downloaded
    Hi Ferno
    Missed the all important "removable" legs ops: ops: ops: .Before mine gets its next outing I will update it with a set of your style legs.It will save having to kick the 3or4 rocks out of the fire after!!!!!!!!
    Andrew
    Snow White MY14 TDV6 D4

Total Downloaded
    [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
    just goes to prove that you are a typical aussie, that you dont read the instruction manual until something dont work! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] 8)

and do you know what a wok is?

something you frow at a wabbit when you dont have a wiffle [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] :roll: 8O

Total Downloaded
    I thought it was something the local chinese takeaway uses to cook cat in [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
    Andrew
    Snow White MY14 TDV6 D4

Rovernaut Guest
    FAN_BLOODY_TASTIC!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

VladTepes is offline Major Part of the Heart and Soul of AULRO Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    How many plough discs you have :?:

There's another item for the Emporium. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
    It's not broken. It's "Carbon Neutral".

gone

1993 Defender 110 ute "Doris"
    1994 Range Rover Vogue LSE "The Luxo-Barge"
    1994 Defender 130 HCPU "Rolly"
    1996 Discovery 1

current

1995 Defender 130 HCPU and Suzuki GSX1400

Total Downloaded

WOK/ BBQ plate

Geez I had one of those for a BBQ plate in 1970, I pinched the idea from a mate who is now deceased he was a sharefarmer at the time did all his cooking on it (him and his wife and 2 kids) I had it until I left it at a shooting property in Nth'rn NSW about 5 years ago someone wanted it more than me cheers

Total Downloaded
    :roll: glad some liked it ,mite be able to source a few more discs if the interest is there,then maybe even put a nice bit of weld signing of a lr around the rim, or maybe even AULRO 8) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast