Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defender TD5 headlights problem

gsang110 Guest

Defender TD5 headlights problem

Hi
    Need help with 2000 defender, burnt out light switch, fitted new switch now have parkers working but headlights only work on hi beam flash as before switch replacement. Have power out of headlight switch (blue wire) but no power coming in on blue wire to dip switch. Have no wiring diagram in my workshop manual. Where does blue wire go between light switch and dip switch? Have checked fuses and relay all seem ok, Any help greatly appreciated my only vehicle.
    Regards Graham

p38arover is offline Major part of the heart and soul of AULRO.com
    Administrator
    I'm here to help you!
    Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Which switch did you replace, the headlight or blinker/dip/flasher?

If they still use the same old crappy Lucas blinker/dip/flasher switch that many British manufacturers used, then it's probably melted, too.

Been there, done that with my Hillman - several times until I put relays in and replaced the switch with a Bosch unit from an XD (?) Ford Falcon.

I had to machine up a collar for it to work but work it did - for many years afterward.

Ron
    Ron B.
    VK2OTC

2003 L322 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Auto
    2007 Yamaha XJR1300
    Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA

RIP Bucko - Riding on Forever

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by gsang110 View Post
    Hi
    Need help with 2000 defender, burnt out light switch, fitted new switch now have parkers working but headlights only work on hi beam flash as before switch replacement. Have power out of headlight switch (blue wire) but no power coming in on blue wire to dip switch. Have no wiring diagram in my workshop manual. Where does blue wire go between light switch and dip switch? Have checked fuses and relay all seem ok, Any help greatly appreciated my only vehicle.
    Regards Graham
    I'll post the relevant pages of the wiring diagram - give me a few mins to dig them out.

I would recommend you get a RAVE CD from dave (incisor) in the markets section - I am sure he has one for the Defender - all the wiring diagrams are in there.

And you sure need them for LR's

dmdigital is offline OldBushie Vendor

Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Graham you can download the RAVE CD on the www or purchase it from the forum. This has the wiring diagrams on it.

The blue wire goes from the switch to a relay then to the dip switch.
    MY15 Discovery 4 SE SDV6

Past: 97 D1 Tdi, 03 D2a Td5, 08 Kimberley Kamper, 08 Defender 110 TDCi, 99 Defender 110 300Tdi[/SIZE]

Total Downloaded
    Hope this helps.

but do get the RAVE CD
    Last edited by ladas; 22nd October 2008 at 09:47 PM.

Total Downloaded
    When you look at the dipp switch it will be the outer blue wire. Found mine had worked loose. All it took was to tighten up the pin and reconnect. Main switch is just evil.

gsang110 Guest

defender headlight prob

Thanks for all your help, drawing seems different, mine has 20 fuses in cab and 7 under drivers seat. The pin connection on dip switch seems tight just no power in wire, the relay I checked is one of 5 in cab under fuses but perhaps there is another relay I haven't found yet, thanks again

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by gsang110 View Post
    Thanks for all your help, drawing seems different, mine has 20 fuses in cab and 7 under drivers seat. The pin connection on dip switch seems tight just no power in wire, the relay I checked is one of 5 in cab under fuses but perhaps there is another relay I haven't found yet, thanks again
    The fuses shown on the wiring diagrams are the one used for the lights.

The others are omitted from the diagram for clarity

Just look at the fuse numbers.

Total Downloaded
    Hi there,
    Don't go round in circles looking for a riddle. Remember that the ignition will have to be on to make heads work normally, whereas the highs can be flashed anytime. At least this is so on a Defender 300.
    The ignition activated relay is away from the column. The feed from the headlight output of the main switch goes away to the relay and then comes back to the dipper.

I had the luck to lose one headlamp low beam, somewhere in the loom. Used the remaining good one to trigger a new separate relay up in the engine bay near the alternator. Fitted relays for high beam and drivers while I was there. The standard light switching is just too light for the load.

Even the rating for fuses and wiring for the parkers is too light. If towing things with more than two tail lights eg markers, consider a relay near the back. This will save the existing setup from failure. Same with stops, reverse lamps and flashers.

Total Downloaded
    [quote=rovers4;555690]Hi there,
    Don't go round in circles looking for a riddle. Remember that the ignition will have to be on to make heads work normally, whereas the highs can be flashed anytime. QUOTE]

Beat me to it!!!!

JC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast