Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discovery 3 TDV6 Reliability?

Total Downloaded

MoveLater2 Discovery 3 TDV6 Reliability?

Hi All,

I'm seriously considering buying a new series 3 TDV6 SE and would like any feedback from current owners on any problems they have encounted, if any.

A rotten, miserable, low-down salesman from the local dealership in Canberra arranged for me to have an extended test drive over a weekend.....and now I want one!! This is the heart talking....but the head says "steady on boy, remember that Saab you almost bought once, and the fortune you spent on those Alfas years ago keeping them going"! Ahh...if only I could turn back the clock! I digress.

This will be my first venture into the breed and I have to say that some remarks I have had, from owners of earlier models on problems they have had, has made me hesitant on taking the plunge.

My main concerns are from a reliability and consequently a resale value perspective. I would be intending to lease for five years then possibly keep it in retirement to travel Australia with a van, or alternatively replace it with another at that time, hence resale concerns. I do approx. 25-30,000kms pa.

Any feedback and experiences would be much appreciated (also practical fuel consumption figures ie. city and country, 115 - 130kph).

Much obliged,
    Dennis.
    Last edited by TerryO; 20th November 2015 at 12:11 AM. Reason: D3/D4/RRS

Total Downloaded
    G'day Dennis,
    I bought a TDV6 SE Disco back in Mar this year. So far it has been excellent. This is my first Landrover as well, and I too had the same hesitant feelings but did lots of homework, eg logging onto this site and speaking with as many people as I could who have owned Disco's. In the end I couldn't find a better 4WD for the money. The standard features are top of its class and to get the same features in Japanese 4WD you have to buy the top of the line model which costs slightly more than the disco. As far as reliability goes, there are plenty of threads on here attesting to its reliability, it has now been in the Australian market for over 2 years and there haven't been any major problems affecting them. Of course there have been minor problems but by the sounds of them they have been rectified promptly and to the customers satisfaction.
    Fuel figures - I get around 8.5-9.5 L/100km on the highway. About 11.5-12.5 L/100km around town, mind you I live in Sale VIC so the town driving isn't that strenuous. I have a boat which weighs about 1700kg fully loaded and when towing get about 16 L/100kms. I haven't done a lot of towing yet so they are fairly new figures.
    So far the family and I have put just under 9000km on it and plan to do about 25000 - 30000km a year.
    If you want to speak about it in any more detail give us an email on jillett@optusnet.com.au and I will give you my number and we can have a chat.
    Overall I love the Disco, I have driven in a lot of new 4WDs and the ride cannot be compared, they are awesome.
    Cheers
    Steve

Total Downloaded
    I dont own one, but would in a heart beat if i could afford one. They are a top truck, i to have done some homework purely out of interest and followed every thread on this topic posted in this forum.

The early models has problems with the air suspension but that was tracked to a software fault which was quickly recitfied. Failing that they are no less reliable than the jap trucks. Many people are technophobes and are freaked out by the electrical components, but the out of date 4wd magazines who are still in the dark ages and preaching about simple stuff for outback touring bring alot of this on. The disco has been said (by the 4wd monthly team) to be over engineered, and the chassis makes that of a cruiser and a patrol look like a pile of firewood (also said by 4wd monthly). Their only worry was the electrical components and after they ploughed it through a river crossing numerous times at speed in the cape to get some good photos they eventually got the computers wet and it stopped, but this was done by someone driving in a manner the average owner would never drive like.

Like all other brands there will be problems, but going on what 4wd monthly said after their outback test of the Jeep and the D3 they said the D3 is mechanically over engineered and would happily take a pounding on rough roads, where as the jeep they tested showed signs of stress after a week. If you are keeping it for an extended period of time the software to diagnose faults is filtering onto the market for the average joe to buy so you can install it on a lap top and diagnose and clear faults in the bush yourself, which is what the majority of problems will be, software fault, and if you cant clear these by rebooting the car (which usually does it) you need the software. I for one would rather turn the car on and off in the bush to fix a problem or hook it up to a computer than lie under it fixing a diff or some other mechanical problem. Matt

Total Downloaded
    The D3 is an exceptional vehicle, mine is a petrol and has 12000km on it so I cant vouch for the reliability yet. I was however talking on the 2 way to a bloke who was towing a bloody big caravan behind his, his was an SE 2 years old and had 90000km on it. He raved about it and reckons it hasnt skipped a beat since he had it.

As for the resale, it depends what you call bad, I dont believe there is a vehicle that has good resale these days. It should be better than the D2 but will not be up there with nissan and toyota, but you will not get as much enjoyment out of those ones either.
    Series 11A ex Air Force
    1995 ES Discovery TDI

RIP 2006 Discovery 3
    RIP 2004 V8 Discovery
    RIP 95 Discovery TDI

RIP 1999 Freelander
    RIP 1978 EX Army FFR

Total Downloaded
    I think best option to keep resale as high as possible is the TDV6 SE with terrain response or any model above. The poorest seems to be the Petrol 6. The V8 i think is simply harder to sell because people think about the fuel prices. Matt

Total Downloaded
    When you pay around 12-15 thousand less for the petrol to start with, your resale is not that different.
    Series 11A ex Air Force
    1995 ES Discovery TDI

RIP 2006 Discovery 3
    RIP 2004 V8 Discovery
    RIP 95 Discovery TDI

RIP 1999 Freelander
    RIP 1978 EX Army FFR

Total Downloaded
    Dennis I've had mine since March 2006 and have done about 33,000 km and it has been absolutely flawless except windscreen wipers that 'judder' accross the screen. This is the only complaint I have. This has been fixed with some cheap replacements from Supercheap and all is now well. I get similar economy to Steve, although that has blown out a bit with Cooper STT off road rubber (A bit morerolling resistance).You had better budget on a new set of tyres within 30,000 km because thats all the Goodyears provide. At least there are now some reasonable alternatives becoming available. I agree with DiscoTDI, these are exceptional vehicles and very capable off road. There are also quite a range of accessories available for them now too. Best of luck with the purchase.

Total Downloaded
    A most excellent vehicle. 93000km and going strong!

Total Downloaded
    Thank you one and all for your feedback. It's very appreciated.

Steve, the fuel consumption figures you're getting are similar to a couple of other owners I've spoken to. They are getting around 9-9.5 l/100km at around 115kph on the H/W and about 11-11.5 around Canberra.

Ace, I read between the lines that the comparison you mention with the Jeep was a couple of idiots attempting to wreck two good vehicles and the Disco certainly seemed to stand up to most of the driving they put them through. You mentioned the air suspension. One of the owners I talked to in Canberra has had his SE for two years and done 50,000km+ and he said the only problem was the suspension dropped to low and needed the compressor replacing to fix the problem. Since then no more probs. He did say there was a recall to fix an air suspension problem with the early ones.

DiscoTDI, as you say we would like the resale to be better on any of them and I do believe in most instances that the more expensive a vehicle you buy the more it will depreciate in the first three to four years. I am on my third Pajero and find the GLS holds it's value better than the Exceed and the diesels in the later models are way ahead of the petrol equivalents.

A concern I do have is the cost of parts once out of warranty. The cost of regular servicing of a TDV6 is double that of the equivalent DiD Pajero, if I was to take it to the Landrover dealer in Canberra for services. However to take it to a reputable, approved and licenced mechanical workshop can cut this almost in half!!

lrdef110, it's interesting you mention the wipers. The ONLY thing I could fault the demo one I drove was that it did exactly the same thing! However it was a two year old demo with only 3,500kms so it had obviously been sitting around the dealership for some time and the rubbers had probably hardened.

Have you noticed much difference in road noise with the STT's and what size did you fit? I would possibly consider changing the G/Years while new but at this time I'm not aware of any decent A/T's in 255/60x18.

Jamo, how have you found the servicing costs? I believe the special synthetic oil that's recommended is not cheap.

I have driven quite a lot of 4X4's recently and the Disco is, in my opinion, the "BMW 530i" (I've always wanted one of those) of them all. There is absolutly nothing currently on the market that comes close.
    My God, on the little screen this didn't seem much, but on the full screen it's almost a novel! My apologies for the length.
    Regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by hopperoo; 5th July 2007 at 10:13 PM.

Total Downloaded
    My God, on the little screen this didn't seem much, but on the full screen it's almost a novel! My apologies for the length.
    Regards, Dennis.
    No need for that around here mate

i'm sure all the guys dont mind one little bit

and i for one love reading how good the D3 is
    so far they have had a good rap everywhere you read
    130's rule

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast