Australian Land Rover Owners

Gallery Donate Games Arcade Calendar Markets Shop Chat Subscribe! Files Links
Go Back   Australian Land Rover Owners > The Pinnacles > Discovery > Discovery 1

Discovery 1 Chat specifically relating to Discovery 1's

Old 23rd January 2011, 07:47 PM
Wizard

3.9 V8 Tuning

Tuning

Ok, got a new second hand donk shoved in and all is good.

Now fine tuning, if I floor it to over take, she chucks out a heap of black smoke. So apart from cleaning the maf, checking the voltage of the temp and TPS, air filter.

What else can be done?
Sponsored Links
Old 23rd January 2011, 08:04 PM
ForumSage
Subscriber

Thanked 3,221 Times in 2,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85 county View Post
Tuning

Ok, got a new second hand donk shoved in and all is good.

Now fine tuning, if I floor it to over take, she chucks out a heap of black smoke. So apart from cleaning the maf, checking the voltage of the temp and TPS, air filter.

What else can be done?
Adjustable fuel pressure reg may be a cheapie adjustment, $69 plus $15 postage on ebay. Otherwise new/reconditioned injectors perhaps.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bee utey For This Useful Post:
85 county (23rd January 2011), Fulbore (1st May 2011), nigelbuilding1984 (23rd January 2011)
Old 1st May 2011, 09:50 PM
Fossicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee utey View Post
Adjustable fuel pressure reg may be a cheapie adjustment, $69 plus $15 postage on ebay. Otherwise new/reconditioned injectors perhaps.
Apologies for the silly question, why would an adjustable fuel pressure reg help and where would it be installed?

I have been considering some new injectors, but can only find second hand ones. Do you know where new ones are for sale?
Old 1st May 2011, 10:46 PM
ForumSage
Subscriber

Thanked 3,221 Times in 2,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulbore View Post
Apologies for the silly question, why would an adjustable fuel pressure reg help and where would it be installed?

I have been considering some new injectors, but can only find second hand ones. Do you know where new ones are for sale?
An adjustable fuel pressure regulator would be fitted in place of the one at the end of your fuel rail. It is simply one way to adjust the amount of fuel that is injected. Having the system professionally fixed with the help of the forum experts is probably much better but likely much dearer. I have used an adjustable reg on an old Volvo 240 to adjust the fuelling after fitting some second hand injectors from a wrecked Falcon. As I had no idea what size the old injectors were, the adjustable reg got me to a good state of tune for under $100. As for where to get injectors, they are on ebay I'm sure. You should be looking for yellow top (?) ones. It should be possible to find more info by searching the forum for replacement injectors.
The Following User Says Thank You to bee utey For This Useful Post:
Fulbore (2nd May 2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 2nd May 2011, 08:02 AM
Master

You can get new correct injectors from Rimmers in UK and what with the Dollar now approaching 1.10US, they are a good price and they will be the right ones. Google rimmers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackbuttdisco For This Useful Post:
85 county (2nd May 2011), Fulbore (2nd May 2011)
Old 2nd May 2011, 07:52 PM
Wizard

i think i have read about Holden or ford injectors with 4 ports??
Old 3rd May 2011, 03:59 PM
OldBushie
Subscriber

Thanked 2,101 Times in 1,662 Posts
You can get reconditioned Bosch 4hole reconditioned injectors on Ebay.
19 LB 19LB DESIGN II FUEL INJECTORS FORD MUSTANG | eBay

Those above are Gen11s.

* Fuel Injectors 19lb Design III 3 Ford Mustang TPI BMW | eBay
Those above are gen111s

The sellers say that gen11s are functionally the same as gen111s.
I have gen11s that I bought new 5years ago (still going fine)and I also have a set of gen111s on the bench which didn't arrive before I needed them to complete the engine top overhaul.

As I haven't fitted the Gen111s yet I cannot relly comment authoritatively on them, but they look fine..
Regards Philip A
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhilipA For This Useful Post:
85 county (3rd May 2011), jonse (4th May 2011)
Old 4th May 2011, 09:17 AM
ChatterBox

At the risk of sounding like a nong, what is the difference between the injectors? I imagine the 4 port ones give a better burn.

So it would give better economy and power?
Old 4th May 2011, 09:59 AM
OldBushie
Subscriber

Thanked 2,101 Times in 1,662 Posts
Quote:
So it would give better economy and power?
More to the point is that the Lucas injectors by 120-160KK or earlier are usually had it and drooling that makes the engine run rich. New or reconditioned Bosch 4 hole injectors are much cheaper than Lucas and cheaper even than having the Lucas cleaned, especially if a couple of Lucas fail in the cleaning as happened to me.

AFAIK from observation , the 4 hole injectors give a better more stable idle after say 30 seconds when the idle usually deteriorates with 3.9 with Lucas. Fuel economy and power do not really appear to have changed much and probably the benefits of better atomisation would be seen at low engine speeds.

It is hard for me to comment because I fitted o2 sensors at the same time but my inlet ports , inlet valves, combustion chambers , and exhaust valves are very clean after 90KK . The walls of the inlet ports have a "washed clean" appearance.( I replaced the heads with another set I have)
But again I have recently been dosing the fuel with POR fuel stabilizer which is also an injector cleaner.
Regards Philip A
Old 4th May 2011, 01:50 PM
Fossicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipA View Post
You can get reconditioned Bosch 4hole reconditioned injectors on Ebay.
19 LB 19LB DESIGN II FUEL INJECTORS FORD MUSTANG | eBay

Those above are Gen11s.

* Fuel Injectors 19lb Design III 3 Ford Mustang TPI BMW | eBay
Those above are gen111s

The sellers say that gen11s are functionally the same as gen111s.
I have gen11s that I bought new 5years ago (still going fine)and I also have a set of gen111s on the bench which didn't arrive before I needed them to complete the engine top overhaul.

As I haven't fitted the Gen111s yet I cannot relly comment authoritatively on them, but they look fine..
Regards Philip A
Thats useful to know - I have 3 sets of these at home as they are the same injectors that fit my Porsche 928.

I don't know how they are retained in the fuel rail on a Disco, but there are a variety of different diameters to the upper part and positions of retaining clip slots on the injector - Important to get the ones that match the fuel rail clips on the disco (if that is how they are held in position) . Top and bottom O ring sizes differ also depending upon the original application simple enough to source the correct OD O ring though. There's some more info here

Injectors - choosing the right Design III (and some II info) - Rennlist Discussion Forums