Thread: The Full Circle

Total Downloaded

The Full Circle

I've been looking into replacing the D1 with a newer D2, mainly for reasons of more power and reliability. After browsing the D2 forums for a couple of weeks, I could only see the same problems occuring with the D2s. Someone recommended looking at Deefers, but they are a bit expensive for my wallet.

So my thoughts have come back to the D1, and what I can do to "refresh" the old girl a little bit. She has done nearly 300k and so I thought a cam replacement might be the go, followed by a set of headers and a better breathing exhaust.

OK, now I am very bad mechanically, so I'm looking for some advice. I've read the pertinent manuals, but I'm still struggling a bit. Is this the order of affairs:

(1) Drain oil and remove sump
    (2) Removing Timing Cover (see question [a])
    (3) Remove oil pickup pipe
    (4) Remove camshaft sensor
    (5) Remove oil pump drive gear
    (6) Remove timing chain and gears
    (7) Remove Rocker cover
    (8) Remove rocker shaft
    (9) Remove pushrods
    (10) Remove tappets
    (11) Remove camshaft thrust plate
    (12) Withdraw camshaft (phew!)

Then, put it all back again in reverse order.

Questions:
    [a]: The manual says I need to use a special tool LRT-12-080 to remove the crankshaft pulley. Do I really need to purchase this special tool?
    [b]: Are there are other special tools I need, or can I do this with a socket set and some spanners?
    [c]: What other consumables do I need? I'm assuming rocker cover gasket and time cover gasket. Any other gaskets I have missed? I understand there is some special cam grease I need? Also, does the sump plug sealant need to be special or just something I can get from auto-one?
    [d]: I am looking at putting in a slightly warmer cam. Will I need to purchase a dial thread indicator to "dial in" the cam? Will the standard engine electronics need retuning?
    [e]: Should I pull the front of the car off to make working on the timing gear easier? i.e. bull-bar, front grill, radiator?

I can't think of any other questions for now, but I'm sure I will.

Total Downloaded
    Wongdai,

I thought from reading one of your other posts you have a V8, where the instructions you've posted, and the reference to the special tool, I think are for for the 300TDi.

I recently overhauled my V8, albeit a 1998 one, and I didn't need any special tools for cam replacement.

You will need the radiator out of the way, but you can remove the cam with the air con condensor still in (you just need someone to hold it out of the way)

Total Downloaded
    Thanks

Yes, it is a 3.9i v8. I have the overhaul manual for the 4.0 litre v8, which maybe is different i guess.