Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange noise under load

sparky34 Guest
    Check the manifold to exhaust joints, the studs worked loose on mine and started out with a similar noise to yours, should see a little carbon deposit
    around the gasket.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by shamat View Post
    OK, so following up on an previous post (http://www.aulro.com/afvb/discovery-...nder-load.html) I still have had no luck at finding what is causing this pinging noise under load.
    You could have just posted in your original thread so everyone can see what has/hasn't been done.

Threads merged.
    Scott

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky34 View Post
    Check the manifold to exhaust joints, the studs worked loose on mine and started out with a similar noise to yours, should see a little carbon deposit
    around the gasket.
    Thanks Sparky34.

I had a look and seems quite a number of the bolts/studs were a little loose. I've tightened them up, but the round remains (although it seems not quite as bad).

I assume that as they were loose its given the gaskets an opportunity to blow out. I'll order a new set of exhaust flange and manifold gaskets, fir them and see if it fixes the elusive sound.

Total Downloaded

Wink Converter Flexplate ??

Your noise could be a cracked torque converter flexplate, the plate that transmits drive from the engine crankshaft to your auto transmission torque converter. The plate can develop stress cracks and make squeaking and metallic pinging sound as it flexes under load.
    If the noise is indeed due to cracks in this plate, it will eventually completely fail and drive to the converter could be lost.
    If you can access the inside of the bell housing, check for the presence of "fret corrosion" dust, a very fine red/brown dust that will be present on the inner bell housing surfaces about the flex plate/converter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12