Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 99 V8 Disco 1 - So over it. Won't run.

Total Downloaded
    Arh yes if only i any thumbs left!! Don't know if this will help but my disco had three wires from the plug at the dizzy as one's an earth so to speak,to catch any stray charges.Mine now runs through mesh out of coax seem to fix it. Then try try again . Along with very small pick up gap, Its gotta be the ,module,pick up coil or stray charges. Mine was surging today thought it was the spark again then it died,no fuel ,1 pump plug wire dirty. Running fine for now...

Total Downloaded
    G'day Biglandy,

Thanks for the reply - I agree... it _must_ be something I think is good that isn't .... I'm thinking the pickup coil in the dizzy... but it tests (with the multimeter and heat gun) fine!.... Is there anywhere I can get one of them affordably?

Thanks
    Pauly

Quote Originally Posted by biglandy View Post
    Arh yes if only i any thumbs left!! Don't know if this will help but my disco had three wires from the plug at the dizzy as one's an earth so to speak,to catch any stray charges.Mine now runs through mesh out of coax seem to fix it. Then try try again . Along with very small pick up gap, Its gotta be the ,module,pick up coil or stray charges. Mine was surging today thought it was the spark again then it died,no fuel ,1 pump plug wire dirty. Running fine for now...

Total Downloaded
    G'day Pauly ,The amount of stuff iv'e played with?? Yes the pick up's aren't cheap , i got one from uk $170 i think with a few other parts ,$15 coil,$20 module all work fine... But a CRAP Maf--Refunded. But mine used to do the no spark as well ... So thats why i replaced it all...then it sometimes missed spark on the timing light after moving module and coil to behide the airbox . So i read about the dizzy wire's and wrapped them in the mesh out of coax and it was fine..best of luck.

Total Downloaded
    I would definitely check those spade push on lugs on the coil wires . I had mine die in the drive way after doing some other work under the bonnet. I found these terminals were a bit lose but looked ok otherwise. After taking them off and closing them up as mentioned previously it started first go and hasn't happened since. This problem you describe is typical of a high resistance joint that will only get worse with heat.
    Good luck hope this helps

Total Downloaded
    I had a similar problem with my D1 - changed out everything I could think of in the ignition system including the dizzy, reversing the bosch conversion etc.

In the end it turned out to be the new ignition switch I had put in was faulty - it ran fine for a couple of weeks then sh*t itself - nearly tore my hair out trying to work out the fault - thank god I had locked the jerry can in the shed...

John

Total Downloaded
    Hi all,

Well.. that's it..... Just spent more hundreds on a brand new dizzy, another coil and module (came as a set)....

No Luck still not running.

I Hate that car.

I've put a deposit on a reliable brand and have now given up on Landrover. It's me - not the car I know.. but I'm not going to fight it any more.

So ... There's now a 1999 Series 1 Disco LS with leather, climate A/C etc etc .. with a HEAP of new parts, that some smarty can have for a song and fix it. I'm now going to look on this forum for a 'For sale' section. If you have any interest PM me.

Thanks for all the advice but I'm spent.

Pauly

Total Downloaded
    Pauly did you end up doing the ignition switch?

Cheers

Total Downloaded
    God I wish you were in NSW, I would be on your door step right now with the $1500.

Just out of curiosity did you ever take it to a Landy mechanic.

Total Downloaded
    Hi,

Well now I wish you were in Vic! :-)

No - Didn't take it to a LR mechanic. The closest one here are lovely guys but the parts are so expensive from there...(example - they want $350 for an ignition module and I got one for $100). Having said that I now know it would probably have been cheaper in the long run but hindsight is always 20/20. The wife says 'NO MORE MONEY ON THAT THING' and I agree with her.

I'd be happy to have a tray truck come and pick it up - if you want to price it up!

Thanks
    Pauly

Total Downloaded
    HI Ozscott,

No - but I bypassed it (+ straight from the battery to the coil) with the same results.

Thanks
    Pauly

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Pauly did you end up doing the ignition switch?

Cheers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast