Thread: Fuel tank exchange

Total Downloaded

Fuel tank exchange

Hi all!
    I have spent hrs trying to get some firm intell on this.
    I have a 94 D1 petrol with twin long ranger tanks. Long ranger says this tank will fit up to 97 petrol and diesel.
    I have now bought a 97tdi and I am putting the long ranger tanks in it.
    My question is will the 97 diesel tank work with the 94 petrol?
    I am also wondering can i just swap fuel pump/sender units?
    If only that would work I would be a happy chappy!!!
    Thanks jas

Total Downloaded
    Come on guys! Surely somebody knows.

Total Downloaded
    Twin tanks? At the rear or in the sills?

If the '94 has a plastic tank, then the '97 tank should be a direct fit.
    I'm not sure if D1s ever had steel tanks (RRs did up to around 1991).

The diesel pickup should fit too (assuming plastic tank as above) but there might be some differences in the breather set up.
    Scott

Total Downloaded
    The Long ranger tanks are both in the rear 120L in the middle and 32L on the right next to it. From what I can find all disco 1's had plastic tanks. I might just pull them out and see what happens, I know the long ranger ones will work on the diesel, and the petrol is duel fuel so not a real drama any way.
    Thanks for you help

Total Downloaded
    Jas. From your original post when you said you had twin tanks I thought you meant sill tanks - which I know nothing about. However, I do have the 120litre Long Ranger main tank in my 300TDI, and for a long trip a couple of years back I installed the side 32 litre tank also - so yes they fit fine. As for the sender / pump - the TDI's use the lift pump in the engine bay and do not have an internal tank pump. (In my case I installed an electric facet pump after the water sedimentor, so do not use a lift pump). As they are a combined pump/sender unit in the petrol one, you may be better of using the sender from the plastic tank you have currently in your TDI. They look the same, just no pump in the housing. Long Ranger make it so standard senders etc can be used. The 120 litre tank is a really tight fit so is a bit of a struggle - from your petrol vehicle that the tank is from, look at the rear rear mounting points, there are some spacers that come with the Long Ranger tank that need to be used, they replace the standard (body?) mounts in that location. Note the position of all the fill and balance pipes also. Good luck with it, its a $1200+ tank, plus the small one so worth doing, gives you great range. Simon

Total Downloaded
    Thanks for the info Simon
    I'll feel a lot more confident with the swap now.
    What type of electric pump did you use? Did you remove the lift pump and blank it off?
    Thanks Jas

Total Downloaded
    I used a Posi Flow facet pump as recommended on this thread

Replacing 300tdi lift pump with a Facet Posi-flo electrical pump

yes blanked of the lift pump. I mounted it at the back just after the sedimenter, it interfered with the am radio in the engine bay, does not where it is. Powered via a relay controlled by the IP wire. You can still hear it working where it is before start up but disappears when the engine is running.