Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Getting SPARE set of Keys cut for a Disco-1?

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by daneprocter View Post
    It's an ADR Rule. Trust me, I have to explain this to angry people many times a day when they are told that it is going to be over a hundred bucks to get a key cut.

I couldn't find the exact page listing the ADR, but here is one from the RAC saying the same thing...

Immobilisers and alarms | Car components guide | RAC WA
    In that case, LR would have got around the reg by using the 'commercial vehicle' line.
    Which is also why they didn't need catalytic convertors.
    Scott

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
    The first Disco to have a 'chip' in the key itself was the D2 which came out in 1999.
    I've never heard of a 'chipped key' being law - several Discos between 1996 & 1999 didn't even have an immobilizer.
    I believe all Australian made cars had to have them in 96. I am positive that any car after 2001 will have a chipped key. It started of as a Western Australian government scheme but became a national scheme to put a dent in vehicle theft.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleHo View Post
    G'day Robmacca

Our 98 D1 SE has the 2 button keyfob and also a spare,the red light on the speedo will flash even if the vehicle is parked unlocked,opening with a key will unlock the car,but not the immobiliser,this feature we use when we have a dog or child in the car,to pay for fuel,we recently had to replace the "spider wire"behind the dash with a genuine LR replacement patch cable,about $85 at M.R.Autos, worth every dollar

Iam up in the Caboolture area so PM me if you want to

cheers
    WOW, IIRC I paid about $11 for a spider bypass cable FROM the local LR dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by daneprocter View Post
    I believe all Australian made cars had to have them in 96. I am positive that any car after 2001 will have a chipped key. It started of as a Western Australian government scheme but became a national scheme to put a dent in vehicle theft.
    Nan & I have 3 Discos (two 96 and one 97) and none of them have a chip in the key. I also have a 97 Ghia sedan and a 98 Falcon ute in the family. These do not have chips either.
    PaulT

REMLR 256 / SLOw 4 (P)

W/Shops/trailers & GS's
    RRs, Disco's, 110s & 109s.

Total Downloaded
    Commercial cars are the exception to the rule hence the ute not having one. The others have to be immobilized, some got away by having a separate key fob which turned on or off the immobilizer, but most have a chip inside the key.

I haven't actually checked if there is a chip in my 2005 LR3 key, I just assumed that there was. I will check on Monday and and let you know.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234