Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1993 Discovery 1 Pre update Dual Brake lines

Total Downloaded
    Yeah that's fair enough and there's no dramas fitting the spacers but now I'm just curious on why it won't work

Total Downloaded
    Ok so i rang Karcraft this morning to see if they had a kit, after explaining my intentions, they told me that i could use my solid discs on the later model axle with no worries at all, he said that they were identical except there is a 10mm thickness difference and in his mind there is no issue if you dont mine using solid over ventilated, so i search the net for disc specs, attached is and Extract from a PDF i got from the DBA Brake site, it shows all dimensions identical exept thickness and Min wear thickness..... so solid is the go for me and no need to split the calipers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Total Downloaded
    Winning good find

Total Downloaded
    yes, the proof though will be in the actual fitting, if it all turns out good, hopefully others searching to forum for the same answer will come across this post and have the same question answered..

Total Downloaded
    I'm confident mate fingers crossed

Total Downloaded
    The DBA solid slotted rotors are really good. I do lots of heavy towing and they stop very well even with a load. The slots I have found help with maintaining even wear. Supercheap can get them in a day or two and with the discounts they give with trade cards and whatever else they have are not a bad price.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B View Post
    OK called TRS, he almost jumped through the phone trying to tell me never fit Lockers to front axle,

That's funny given they converted my 94 to vented discs and it has front and rear lockers - they are good for some things and not so good for others.

If you are going down this path why not fit defender calipers as they have a larger piston which gives better stopping power. You need a line splitter (not sure of proper name) out of a LM suffixed updated model and then you can go single line to the calipers, everything else will cope.

now that my old girl is not my every day drive this is what I am going to do.

Total Downloaded
    An LM Suffix Update ?

Total Downloaded
    Calipers with the 2 brake lines have 3 bleed nipples, one on the outside top of the caliper, these calipers are often bled without bleeding the outside nipple as it cannot be got at with the wheel and tyre in place.
    This setup has a complicated front/rear brake failure operation, which if the brakes fail the dual braking emergency system uses 1 piston of the front calipers (ea. side) combined with the rear brakes. These brakes need to be bled as per the LR workshop manual, otherwise the front top outside piston retains air and other contaminents. Resulting in total loss of brakes when the brakes get very hot, it happened to me on a 5 klm long steep descent, scary, Regards Frank.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Calipers with the 2 brake lines have 3 bleed nipples, one on the outside top of the caliper, these calipers are often bled without bleeding the outside nipple as it cannot be got at with the wheel and tyre in place.
    This setup has a complicated front/rear brake failure operation, which if the brakes fail the dual braking emergency system uses 1 piston of the front calipers (ea. side) combined with the rear brakes. These brakes need to be bled as per the LR workshop manual, otherwise the front top outside piston retains air and other contaminents. Resulting in total loss of brakes when the brakes get very hot, it happened to me on a 5 klm long steep descent, scary, Regards Frank.
    That's correct it's. actually a very safe system but few manufactures used it only ones I'm aware of is landrover and Volvo and bleeding has to be done by the book procedure or you won't get a pedal

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast