Thread: The Disco still Goes. BUT.

Total Downloaded

The Disco still Goes. BUT.

Morning all.
    I haven't lurked on these pages for a lot time now, other things have occupied my time.

My FFr is still not finished, drive it regularly around the paddocks though. The disco another story, its been through some ups and downs.
    The auto transmission finally crapped itself (ended up the hydraulic pump within the old gearbox box was frizzed) , had to get it removed twice as it broke two flex plates after the replacement box was put it. The battery kept going flat, suspected the alternator, so I bought a new one, its been fine since. Pulled the old one apart, the bearings were almost seized.
    Rear O/s axle seal was leaking so replaced both sides and the bearings, then thought what the hell so I replaced both brake discs as well, as the brake pads.
    The fuel gauge has been playing up, I have a long ranger tank so I suspected the gauge was out as it would show a full tank at 3/4 on the gauge.
    Replaced the rubber band tensioner,again.
    replaced the inlet manifold gasket. (bought a VRS kit for that gasket it was cheaper for the lot, from the Uk)
    While that was off replaced one welch plug that had developed a rusty leak(the one under the manifold above the starter motor.)
    The drivers seat collapsed one afternoon, I looked at all the available options ended buying a new diaphragm, and repaired the seat foam edge at the same time, did a cut and paste job with the foam, on the edge where it gets squashed. Worked like a dream. The new diaphragm, rubber over the original net one is very comfortable and better on long drives.
    Worth every cent of the money I paid for it.
    Replaced the turbo hoses with silicon ones much better than rubber, for under $50.
    The latest has been the speedo, that one has me stumped. For years it has occasionally stopped jumped up and down wildly for a few moments. Then returned back to normal. This year a week before the rego check, it stopped working altogether. The day of inspection it worked again. They day after it stopped again. And has not worked since. I have replaced the transducer, this has not done anything. I have checked the input with an ammeter and power comes in to the transducer. The square drive in the transfer case appears ok. Thought it might be something in the speedo itself, so I have bought a complete replacement set of disco gauges with the right amount of K's on it +/- 500km. All that's done is fix the fuel gauge problem, no speedo.
    My question for you electrical experts, what have I over looked? Every bit of gooogling I have done suggests the transducers are at fault, but that's been replaced, the speedo has been replaced. Is their a way to check for pulses going to the speedo head. The wiring seems ok to the dash.

regards
    john

Total Downloaded
    You can make a simple pulse detector for under $1, just buy one red LED and a 2.2K ohm resistor from an electronics shop and wire it together. (or scavenge a LED and resistor from a broken computer etc). The LED will light at each pulse yet not drawing more than a few mA. Failing that buy a LED based tester from any auto parts shop, the ones designed for checking EFI pulses.

Total Downloaded
    I guess I would have to connect that from the back of the speedo, as that's where the pulse ends up or could I rig it from the transducer?

john