Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Failing to reach 3000rpm

Total Downloaded
    Have you still got the thick sound deadening layer on the front floor?

Total Downloaded
    I'm sure the pulley diameter has come up on another tdi thread but i believe there are 2 sizes for the 2 different serp belt lengths.
    MY08 TDV6 SE D3- permagrin ooh yeah
    2004 Jayco Freedom tin tent
    1998 Triumph Daytona T595
    1974 VW Kombi bus
    1958 Holden FC special sedan

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by edddo View Post
    Yes around 2150 rpm at 100kph for mine. (31 10.5 r15- same rolling dia as 245.75R16)
    Good question re alternator - did you establish if the tacho is actually reading correctly?
    Re free revving - mine easily revs past 3500 - and moreso since a pump tweak where I also ground a couple of mm of the white spacer on the plunger inside the pump.
    yes alternator was changed few years ago. not sure if the pulley sizes were the same. when i did it i was still a novice and didnt know about the two sizes. the belt seems to fit fine. it's a new one which i put on when i did all the head work just recently. when i get home i will measure the pulley size and see whether i can find out what the original size was meant to be using my VIN. as i said. possible it's out of whack. ill also check that my belt is the correct one for the pulley/alt i have.

it doesnt feel like is struggles past 3000-3500 in a way that it would be fuel related. its no flat spot or loss of power. just sounds like its revving to the limit of capabilty. so more as in the tacho is out rather than fuelling issue. as Dazzatd5 said, it runs very nicely for a 200k + tdi.

the main thing that still concerns me it the tap tap tap sound. sounds as is someone is tapping lightly with a hammer on a piece of semi hollow metal. but big ends its not.

Total Downloaded
    Have you still got the thick sound deadening layer on the front floor?
    not sure. on the inside of the car? i know i have thick heat/sound foam on the firewall on the outside of it.

Total Downloaded
    under the floor mat in the front floor wells and over the transmission tunnel - it is about 20mm thick and certainly would add to interior noise if not there.
    But if it got wet somewhere in it's history it may have been removed?

Also - is the black engine cover on ?

Total Downloaded
    under the floor mat in the front floor wells and over the transmission tunnel - it is about 20mm thick and certainly would add to interior noise if not there.
    But if it got wet somewhere in it's history it may have been removed?

Also - is the black engine cover on ?
    black engine cover is off atm. i keep taking it off to do work on the engine haha. i will put back on and see what difference it makes.

i know there is foam on the tunnel console because the centre tunnel is off. still havent put it back after clutch work as my old one is busted and i have a new one except auto and my car is manual. need to modify.

in terms of foam under the footwell. im not sure. i did lift carpet up when i first got car and cant remember if was there or not. dont think matrix every leaked though. i still have the original one i think. it has been bypassed now.

ill check again.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011