Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diff Whine

Total Downloaded

Diff Whine

Hey folks,
    My 94 Disco is starting to whine from the rear diff i think. There is a big drone like noise when i get up to highway speeds. The noise sounds like it is coming from the rear in the middle - so diff i guess? Noticed it during town driving a couple of weeks ago, then after crossing a steep drainage channel out bush it seems to have gotten louder.

Would this have anything to do with the feeling that when i take my foot of the accelerator the car seems to slow down really quickly instead of coasting like it used to?

What do i have to do to fix the noise, is it likely to be worn teeth or bearings? The disco has done a lot of kilometers.

Also whats likely to happen if i keep driving it. If all the teeth strip off, shouldn't i be able to lock the center diff and drive home in 2WD?

Thanks for any advice.

Total Downloaded
    Have you greased/checked UJs? Had them make awful noises before

Total Downloaded
    You could have a stuffed wheel bearing and the drag from the misaligned brake rotor is slowing you down. Jack the rear wheels up one at a time and check for large amounts of bearing looseness. Repair it before it drops off and kills someone.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Treesmudge View Post
    Have you greased/checked UJs? Had them make awful noises before
    94 will probably have a rotoflex coupling and these things will vibrate when worn, this is the first thing i'd check.
    MY08 TDV6 SE D3- permagrin ooh yeah
    2004 Jayco Freedom tin tent
    1998 Triumph Daytona T595
    1974 VW Kombi bus
    1958 Holden FC special sedan

Total Downloaded
    Yeah it has the rubber coupling. It is old, but not loose by hand. Have you ever heard of one that is not totally ruined make a large noise?

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnius View Post
    Yeah it has the rubber coupling. It is old, but not loose by hand. Have you ever heard of one that is not totally ruined make a large noise?
    Yeah they dont have to look shagged to be stuffed, there is a locating bush in the end of the shaft that wears.
    MY08 TDV6 SE D3- permagrin ooh yeah
    2004 Jayco Freedom tin tent
    1998 Triumph Daytona T595
    1974 VW Kombi bus
    1958 Holden FC special sedan

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnius View Post
    Hey folks,
    My 94 Disco is starting to whine from the rear diff i think. There is a big drone like noise when i get up to highway speeds. The noise sounds like it is coming from the rear in the middle - so diff i guess? Noticed it during town driving a couple of weeks ago, then after crossing a steep drainage channel out bush it seems to have gotten louder.

Would this have anything to do with the feeling that when i take my foot of the accelerator the car seems to slow down really quickly instead of coasting like it used to?

What do i have to do to fix the noise, is it likely to be worn teeth or bearings? The disco has done a lot of kilometers.

Also whats likely to happen if i keep driving it. If all the teeth strip off, shouldn't i be able to lock the center diff and drive home in 2WD?

Thanks for any advice.
    First I would check diff oil level and condition (not milky brown with water) and any shiny bits. then I would check uni-joints front and rear, Regards Frank.

Total Downloaded
    So i checked out all the possible causes of the sound the other day. Brakes, unis, diff oils etc.
    And everything seems fine except the right rear wheel bearings which you can hear rumble away when it is spinning and the car is on stands.

Is the rear wheel bearing oil lubed on a D1 94 or do i need to pack it with grease when i replace it?
    Also, when i pull out the hub with a puller how much axle will come out and is it easy to line it back up with the splines to put it back on? Also, when i put the hub back on, what tension etc will i need to put them back on - or aren't they preloaded?
    Will the bearings just pull off or will i need to press them off? I have a mate with a D2 and he tells me that i will need to press them off...?

Thanks!

Total Downloaded
    AFAIK they are the same as a RRC, so it is pretty simple. you have to remove the caliper and axle and you are then left with the bare hub. You undo the Big 51MM locknut after straightening the lock plate, then the twin nut and it will all fall off.

You need a hammer and brass drift to knock the old races out of the hub and the new ones in.

If you fit an oil seal on the axle you need to grease the bearings on assembly.

I am not sure if they went to a spacer between the bearings in 95. If no spacer you just do up the big nut until it is hand tight then back off one flat and fit a new lock plate, and bend it one way on one side and the other way on the other side, not both one way like I once saw on a RRC steering drop arm>LOL. and the bloke wondered why the steering was vague.
    Regards Philip A

Total Downloaded
    Good good. When you say remove the 'caliper and axle' - how do i remove the axle?
    And there is no outer seal to keep the muck out of the bearings - just an inner?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast