Australian Land Rover Owners

Gallery Donate Games Arcade Calendar Markets Shop Chat Subscribe! Files Links
Go Back   Australian Land Rover Owners > The Pinnacles > Discovery > Discovery 2

Discovery 2 Chat specifically relating to Discovery 2

Old 30th August 2010, 04:13 PM
Master

Replacing Td5 drive belt

Hi all,

Just wondering whats the best approach in changing a td5 drive belt. Do you really need to remove the viscous fan as this requires a special tool to undo which i don't have. Or can you remove and refit a new belt without removing the fan. Or if i need to remove the fan is there another way other then buying the special tool required. many thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 30th August 2010, 04:43 PM
Wizard

It can be done without taking the fan off - just be prepared to take some bark off of your knuckles. Taking the fan off would make it easier, but not worth the effort if you do not have the tool.
Old 30th August 2010, 06:04 PM
Master

I've been working on my TD5 over the last 2 days and decided to see how hard it was to remove and replace the belt in the event of a belt breakage out bush....

Well - it's fiddly but not impossible by yourself. You don't have to take the fan off but do remove the top fan shroud.

You'll need a 15mm ring spanner to move the tensioner and take tension off the belt and a zip tie to hold the spanner in place. Turn the tensioner anti-clockwise....belt will loosen and then zip tie your spanner to any available hard point (I used the clip on a hose).

Slide the belt off the fan pulley first by moving it forward and it all gets easy from there with more slack. It's a little fiddly unwinding the belt from the remaining pulleys but is not too hard.

Replacement is the reverse - ensure the grooves are aligned on the pulleys and slide the belt onto the fan pulley last.

Release your zip tie carefully and the belt will tension up nicely.

Crack a cold beer and marvel at your mechanical expertise
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Catmatt For This Useful Post:
rdavies (28th October 2010), robert42 (27th April 2012), sdt463 (4th September 2010), Stuuu (1st September 2010), Zute (4th September 2010)
Old 30th August 2010, 07:07 PM
ChatterBox

I would also consider changing the idler and adjuster pullies, the viscous bearing maybe every other belt change.
The only time I've had belt issues it was due to a bearing ceising/falling apart and burning through the belt
A spare belt is no good on a non spining bearing
Sponsored Links
Old 31st August 2010, 07:56 AM
Master

Curious

How often have or do you change the belt, Im at 150km and never been changed in my ownership so will keep the old as a spare in the LR. Is it required every 100km or sooner.
Old 31st August 2010, 08:09 AM
TopicToaster

Thanked 4,824 Times in 1,996 Posts
As a suggestion, I would get a permenant marker, and draw the belt layout on the slam panel or top of the engine. I do this on any car with a serpentine belt, as if it fails, it makes it a hundred times easier to fit a new one! (I carry a belt, tensioner and idlers in mine. - I have had a failure of the tensioner before)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Psimpson7 For This Useful Post:
Catmatt (31st August 2010)
Old 1st September 2010, 11:27 AM
CTRL + V!
Subscriber

Thanked 3,012 Times in 1,716 Posts
drive belt

According to the Owners workshop manual, every 12000 MILES OR 12 MONTHS the belt should be taken off and inspected.and quote-" if it is worn, frayed or cracked, renew as a precaution against breakage " Hope this helps
Bob10
Old 1st September 2010, 05:52 PM
ChatterBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamirj View Post
How often have or do you change the belt, Im at 150km and never been changed in my ownership so will keep the old as a spare in the LR. Is it required every 100km or sooner.
From what I've read on read on here most people are going 100,000 as a preventitive meashure.
Mine went at @ 130,000 to give you a guide.
Old 1st September 2010, 11:44 PM
Master

100,000 !!!!

Thats a looooooong time for an AUX belt.............mines had 2 new ones since I have onwed it, and thats in 30,000 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Urban Panzer For This Useful Post:
alien (2nd September 2010)
Old 31st August 2014, 11:23 AM
Supporter

Special tools NOT

Hi, again I would like to point out that there is no need for a special tool to remove the fan.

A 10mm ring spanner to remove one of the bolts behind the fan allows access for a shifter, usually a hit on the end of the shifter with the palm of your hand (normal RH thread ie; undo to the left when viewed from above) is sufficient enough to loosen it, if not a quick tap with a hammer.

But, the reason I looked up this thread was to find the length of the serpentine belt. 1870 is listed for a TD5 with ACE etc, mine is an 1870 but there is NO tension left, the tensioner is hard up against it's stop.

The problem is it sounds like a banshee when starting, the belt slip is horrendous.

Anyone else ever come across this before?

Cheers

Mike