Australian Land Rover Owners

Gallery Donate Games Arcade Calendar Markets Shop Chat Subscribe! Files Links
Go Back   Australian Land Rover Owners > The Pinnacles > Discovery > Discovery 2

Discovery 2 Chat specifically relating to Discovery 2

Old 24th March 2011, 01:47 PM
Fossicker

Car alarm, D2 td5 auto.

Hi all,

Had the car alarm go off last night. Of course this was at 4 am, much to the delight of my neighbors! By the time I got out there, of course it had stopped (don't sleep with my car keys). Thinking, ok some sort of flying beast, unlocked with the FOB then relocked with the key in the door. Didn't happen again.

This morning, checked the whole inside thoroughly, no sign of any beasts.

Anyone know if these things are prone to bogus triggering? I don't want to bypass the movement detector as I think it's a good feature, but if there are many more 4 am episodes............
Sponsored Links
Old 24th March 2011, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,694 Posts
Were all the windows closed?

1995 Range Rover HSE
1996 Range Rover HSE
1998 Range Rover DSE
Old 24th March 2011, 04:50 PM
Master
Subscriber

I have had this problem also.
It went off once, then 3 months later, went off again. The intervals got less and less over the following months, until it would go off just minutes after deadlocking. I now have to use the key to lock it, to prevent it going off.
This post reminds me, I must try and fix this, but don't know where to start.
I understand the issue is to do with moisture somewhere, and is a common problem.
There is still some function of the security system in this mode as the horn will go off when I use the key, instead of the fob, to unlock.
Old 25th March 2011, 10:12 AM
Master
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggin View Post
I have had this problem also.
It went off once, then 3 months later, went off again. The intervals got less and less over the following months, until it would go off just minutes after deadlocking. I now have to use the key to lock it, to prevent it going off.
This post reminds me, I must try and fix this, but don't know where to start.
I understand the issue is to do with moisture somewhere, and is a common problem.
There is still some function of the security system in this mode as the horn will go off when I use the key, instead of the fob, to unlock.
Chances are you have a stray moth / bug / spider floating about during the night setting it off

I do remember an old thread on this very topic late last year

Cheers
Chris

2001 D2 TD5 ES - if its not leaking oil then its out of oil.
Sponsored Links
Old 25th March 2011, 01:36 PM
Fossicker

Yes, all windows and doors shut tight. Also I'm fairly sure it wasn't a bug, but of course it could be hiding under a seat or somewhere and I'd never find it. Well it didn't go off last night, and I don't think any bug can live very long without water, so if I get another day or two without it going off I think I can eliminate that.

We shall see.....
Old 25th March 2011, 07:12 PM
Wizard
Subscriber

I've never owned a vehicle with movement sensors in the alarm, usually it's just the doors, boot or bonnet opened sensor or window glass smashed sensor only. When I first got my Disco I had the dog in the back, I got to the shop, hoped out and locked it, came back to the alarm going nuts and a very upset dog! I only lock the car to avoid him getting stolen, as he's enough to intimidate any car robbers (52kg Rodesian Ridgeback).
Old 26th March 2011, 10:36 PM
Master

Mine has gone off a couple of times due to moths flying around inside the car. Went off 3 or 4 times during the night until my wife mentioned seeing a moth in the car during the day, took a while to find him too...

I also locked the dog in the car, completely forgetting about the motion sensors, only got a few steps from the car before it went off and scared the pants off me (and the dog).

IIRC, you can lock it with the key and it still immobilises the engine, just doesn't arm the motion sensors.

Cheers,
Nova
Old 27th March 2011, 09:02 AM
The MODfather

Thanked 2,726 Times in 1,868 Posts
yes, its a great feature.
we keylock the car with the rear windows down and sunroofs open if we have to leave Guiness in the car.
Those black shade cloths for rear windows are great too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'93 V8 Rossi
'97 to '07. sold.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'01 V8 D2
'06 to 10. written off.

'03 4.6 V8 HSE D2a
'10 to ?
Its a gas gas gas!

Old 27th March 2011, 09:44 AM
Wizard
Subscriber

Sweet, thats handy to know that the keylock doesn't put the alarm sensors on. Cheers.