Thread: Td5 auto oil level

Total Downloaded

Td5 auto oil level

Am I being too pedantic about geting the oil level just right? Is it that critical?

I changed the oil two weeks back and filled it to what I thought at the time was the correct level i.e. engine running, cycle thru gears, oil just feeling warm and a 2mm bead flowing out.

Tonight I thought I would recheck the level, so I let it stand for three hours, the pan just felt warm. The text on the pan says something about 40 degrees C, I'm assuming it means the oil must be checked at 40 degrees C. Feeling the pan with my hand it does seem to get quick rather quickly so checking at the exact point when it is 40 degrees C is a bit of a guess.

Anyway I ended up draining about 100ml out and still have a stream flowing out. So did I overfill it the first time or is the temperature that critical?

Total Downloaded
    Engine needs to be running to check the oil, was it running?
    03 Disco 2a, TD5, Olso blue, 7 seater, Auto, Chipped, EGR'd, 2"lift, SLS, Dual Batteries, Provent, TM-2 engine saver

Total Downloaded
    yes, temp when checking is critical.

The box has a little leeway for oil level out of whack...

my routine for the box oil change/level check is...

fill when cold with the engine running, take it for a short drive (preferably as part of checking something else) then set the oil level while everything is warm.
    Dave

"In a Landrover the other vehicle is your crumple zone."

For spelling call Rogets, for mechanicing call me.

Fozzy, 2.25D SIII Ex DCA Ute
    Tdi autoManual d1 (gave it to the Mupion)
    Archaeoptersix 1990 6x6 dual cab(This things staying)

If you've benefited from one or more of my posts please remember, your taxes paid for my skill sets, I'm just trying to make sure you get your monies worth.
    If you think you're in front on the deal, pay it forwards.

Total Downloaded
    With the Td5 auto box, overfilling a little is a good thing I have been told by several rebuilders. Obviously not by a litre or anything, but I always try and fit at least another 250 to 300ml in and then stick the filler plug in quick

JC

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Blknight.aus View Post
    yes, temp when checking is critical.

The box has a little leeway for oil level out of whack...

my routine for the box oil change/level check is...

fill when cold with the engine running, take it for a short drive (preferably as part of checking something else) then set the oil level while everything is warm.
    Thanks for the reply.

So when you check the level warm does it differ much from cold?
    Do you end up draining a bit out?

RoverNova Guest
    I tend to find if you fill when cold (engine running in park) and the oil just starts to flow out the plug and almost dripping (fit plug). The level will be correct when its reaches 40C.

Also the valve body is not fully submerged in the oil like most transmissions. The exhausted oil is blowing out onto the oil level surface which can create a wave effect causing a faulty reading. My above method has never failed me with temperature pacific transmission oil levels.

JC this is more of a method for shallow pan transmissions the big deep pan Disco's 4 speeds have wont really make much difference. For example the late Disco with the 6 speed ZF6HP26 has a shallow pan and if level is 900ml down on fluid it will cause the transmission to drop out of gear going around corners.

With the Td5 auto box, overfilling a little is a good thing I have been told by several rebuilders. Obviously not by a litre or anything, but I always try and fit at least another 250 to 300ml in and then stick the filler plug in quick

JC

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNova View Post
    I tend to find if you fill when cold (engine running in park) and the oil just starts to flow out the plug and almost dripping (fit plug). The level will be correct when its reaches 40C.

Also the valve body is not fully submerged in the oil like most transmissions. The exhausted oil is blowing out onto the oil level surface which can create a wave effect causing a faulty reading. My above method has never failed me with temperature pacific transmission oil levels.

JC this is more of a method for shallow pan transmissions the big deep pan Disco's 4 speeds have wont really make much difference. For example the late Disco with the 6 speed ZF6HP26 has a shallow pan and if level is 900ml down on fluid it will cause the transmission to drop out of gear going around corners.

Yes, I also 'overfill' these until the oil is spilling over, about 150ml more.

JC

Total Downloaded
    It may be of interest to other D2 owners that the old D1 pan fits the D2 auto box. The D1 has an ATF dipstick which allows easy checking of ATF levels, and most importantly, refilling without the need to get under the vehicle. I have had two occasions to try and pour ATF into a hot auto while lying on my back in the red dust. Pouring against gravity takes a level of skill beyond that which I am endowed. The top filler guarantees I will never lose ATF ever again!

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    It may be of interest to other D2 owners that the old D1 pan fits the D2 auto box. The D1 has an ATF dipstick which allows easy checking of ATF levels, and most importantly, refilling without the need to get under the vehicle. I have had two occasions to try and pour ATF into a hot auto while lying on my back in the red dust. Pouring against gravity takes a level of skill beyond that which I am endowed. The top filler guarantees I will never lose ATF ever again!
    yes i have used a p38a pan and dipstick tube on a d2, as it comes up on the other side of the engine and clears the starter etc etc that way.

jc

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by CountP View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

So when you check the level warm does it differ much from cold?
    Do you end up draining a bit out?
    Yes, usually I wind up draining about 300-400ml out but then I have the advantage of a powered filling system that allows me to get the oil level up to the point where it wants to come out cold with about a 6mm bead.

the trick is where you measure the thickness of the run.

as it comes out of the filler hole the oil will make a kind of question marked shaped turn on the way out of the filler hole

I make my measurement of "2mm bead" at the point after the final downwards "turn" of the oil where it is flowing cleanly. At a rough guess this is about 4mm down from the bottom of the protrusion of the filler boss.
    Dave

"In a Landrover the other vehicle is your crumple zone."

For spelling call Rogets, for mechanicing call me.

Fozzy, 2.25D SIII Ex DCA Ute
    Tdi autoManual d1 (gave it to the Mupion)
    Archaeoptersix 1990 6x6 dual cab(This things staying)

If you've benefited from one or more of my posts please remember, your taxes paid for my skill sets, I'm just trying to make sure you get your monies worth.
    If you think you're in front on the deal, pay it forwards.