Australian Land Rover Owners

Gallery Donate Games Arcade Calendar Markets Shop Chat Subscribe! Files Links
Go Back   Australian Land Rover Owners > The Pinnacles > Discovery > Discovery 2


Discovery 2 Chat specifically relating to Discovery 2

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 21st December 2012, 03:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: south africa
Posts: 9
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New tyres, different size, more fuel?

I've a Td5 Disco 2004 and will soon need new tyres. Its got the standard issue 255/55 R18 Goodyear Wranglers on 18" mags, and I'd really like to keep the mags rather than drop to 16" ones.
There's a good offer for 265/60 R18 Cooper AT3 tyres which I know will alter the wheel geometry a bit, but has anyone done this tyre size change and if so how has it affected fuel consumption? I'm wary of changing to bigger dia tyres if my consumption is going to shoot up.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 21st December 2012, 04:01 PM
Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: penrith
Posts: 390
Thanks: 899
Thanked 82 Times in 67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bounce View Post
I've a Td5 Disco 2004 and will soon need new tyres. Its got the standard issue 255/55 R18 Goodyear Wranglers on 18" mags, and I'd really like to keep the mags rather than drop to 16" ones.
There's a good offer for 265/60 R18 Cooper AT3 tyres which I know will alter the wheel geometry a bit, but has anyone done this tyre size change and if so how has it affected fuel consumption? I'm wary of changing to bigger dia tyres if my consumption is going to shoot up.
My guess would be that it wouldn't make to much of a difference, if you do a lot of highway driving then I believe it would improve fuel economy very slightly, I can't recommend cooper discoverer at3's highly enough!!! The only and I mean only gripe I have with mine is they seem to collect an abnormally high amount of medium size pebbles/stones so you will have to get used to a clicking sound until they all fall out after sometimes up to and slightly over 50km distance not speed, after a trip down some gravel/dirt tracks but other then that exceptional tyres, RE I personally wouldn't worry to much about increased fuel consumption with such a little increase, if you we're going say 33 or 35 inch tyres I would say get ready for a shock with your fuel bill, but this is only my opinion and by no means am I saying I'm correct but in my experience its only the drastic changes that make a noticeable change, can't recommend coopers enough lol 80,000km warranty too!!! And no I don't work for coopers lol
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 21st December 2012, 05:58 PM
walker's Avatar
Wizard
 
Join Date: Jan 1970
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,890
Thanks: 70
Thanked 149 Times in 102 Posts
That's a 5% difference. It will increase fuel usage, but it won't be too bad.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 21st December 2012, 06:18 PM
Master
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sunbury
Posts: 238
Thanks: 126
Thanked 53 Times in 47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco2_dan View Post
My guess would be that it wouldn't make to much of a difference, if you do a lot of highway driving then I believe it would improve fuel economy very slightly, I can't recommend cooper discoverer at3's highly enough!!! The only and I mean only gripe I have with mine is they seem to collect an abnormally high amount of medium size pebbles/stones so you will have to get used to a clicking sound until they all fall out after sometimes up to and slightly over 50km distance not speed, after a trip down some gravel/dirt tracks but other then that exceptional tyres, RE I personally wouldn't worry to much about increased fuel consumption with such a little increase, if you we're going say 33 or 35 inch tyres I would say get ready for a shock with your fuel bill, but this is only my opinion and by no means am I saying I'm correct but in my experience its only the drastic changes that make a noticeable change, can't recommend coopers enough lol 80,000km warranty too!!! And no I don't work for coopers lol
Warranty only applicable in primarily capital cities. I had Cooper STT's fitted to a previous vehicle. Great tyres, handled wet & dry conditions well, sloppy mud great, not so sandy conditions. I lived in Cairns & had a minor problem with a tyre. No warranty, outside of warranty area,
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Collins For This Useful Post:
disco2_dan (21st December 2012)
Sponsored Links
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 21st December 2012, 06:24 PM
Slunnie's Avatar
OldBushie
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 1970
Location: Central West NSW
Posts: 9,798
Thanks: 1,651
Thanked 2,363 Times in 1,587 Posts
I found with mine, when I went from 29" to 33" that the consumption went up by 1l/100km around town and down by the same on the highway. When I changed to a more open pattern the conumption went up everywhere. At that size I'd be looking more at the tyre pattern than the size.
__________________
Cheers
Slunnie


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ Discovery II "Storm" ~ ~ Series IIa 6cyl ute ~ ~ Series II V8 ute ~



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
The Australian Discovery2 owners group with 400 members!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slunnie For This Useful Post:
disco2_dan (6th January 2013), Sharkee (24th December 2012)
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 21st December 2012, 08:02 PM
OldBushie
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 1970
Location: Avoca Beach
Posts: 7,888
Thanks: 231
Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,583 Posts
I often woder if people add the 5% increase in rolling diameter to the Kilometers on the odometer that they travel when they calculate fuel consumption.

All things like rolling diameter being equal, economy should IMPROVE slightly by having a higher gearing as the engine is turning slower for a given speed.

I found with my RRC that economy was exactly the same, as near as could be calculated with bigger tyres, after I added the 5% because the car travelled 5% further.
Regards Philip A
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhilipA For This Useful Post:
jafir (22nd December 2012)
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 22nd December 2012, 05:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: south africa
Posts: 9
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many thanks to all, I'm a bit more confident now that all will go well with the Coopers.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 22nd December 2012, 05:48 AM
debruiser's Avatar
Wizard
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mackay
Posts: 1,192
Thanks: 457
Thanked 378 Times in 244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipA View Post
I often woder if people add the 5% increase in rolling diameter to the Kilometers on the odometer that they travel when they calculate fuel consumption.

All things like rolling diameter being equal, economy should IMPROVE slightly by having a higher gearing as the engine is turning slower for a given speed.

I found with my RRC that economy was exactly the same, as near as could be calculated with bigger tyres, after I added the 5% because the car travelled 5% further.
Regards Philip A
Economy should improve with lower revs to a point. Depends on the power stats of your engine and how much you gear up. If you 'over gear' and the engine starts to labour then you will burn more fuel.... if you have an instantaneous fuel read out; drive at a slow speed in the correct gear then change up.... gives the same effect. I put the biggest legal tyres I could on my 07 ranger, around town and off the mark you could feel it was a bit more sluggish (notice it most when your towing a big load) but once it's moving it's pretty good. Hasn't really affected the fuel consumption.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 24th December 2012, 10:12 AM
schnitzel's Avatar
Fossicker
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Country Victoria
Posts: 19
Thanks: 21
Thanked 21 Times in 9 Posts
I just changed up from the Pirelli Scorpion 255/55 R18 on 18" mags to the 265/60 R18 Cooper AT3 tyres. With the old tyres I was getting 10.7 litres per 100 km. With the 5% increase with the new tyres I'm getting 11 litres per 100km. These figures are tracked off of GPS Km, not the (now incorrect) odometer in the vehicle. The only thing which might have an impact on the figures (and potentially drop it down again) is that it's been quite hot and the A/C has been used more that the figures (2 years worth of averages) used to calculate the 10.7 figure - which includes winter (no A/C) driving.

Bottom line is - I was worried that it would make a big difference, but it appears that all is well. A hell of a lot quieter too!!!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schnitzel For This Useful Post:
mr bounce (27th December 2012)
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 4th January 2013, 11:16 PM
Fossicker
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 58
Thanks: 30
Thanked 20 Times in 9 Posts
Scorpions

I have twice switched to scorpions. 1st time on my TD200 from Michellins in the UK, this time from Goodyear Wranglers on our TD5 in Aus. Kept the same profile both times and in both cases the fuel consumption dropped by 5-10%.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Search AULRO.com ONLY!
Search All the Web!

All times are GMT +10. The time now is 11:53 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Live Threads provided by AJAX Threads v1.1.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Australian Land Rover Owners
Copyright 2001 - 2014, Dave Blears Computing - DavecandoIT and aulro.com