Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ticking noise - yes i know another thread - but ive solved it

CaptainJack Guest

Ticking noise - yes i know another thread - but ive solved it

I've had a re-occurring ticking noise from the motor of my D2 V8. I originally found a small exhaust leak but that only partly fixed the noise. Replaced the tensioner pulley and that helped.

I did an engine flush using the cleanpower flushing oil concentrate. It improved it. Also changed to penrite 10w50 and again noticed it improved.
    I thought I had solved it - But after a long drive last week the ticking has returned.

It ticks when it gets warm, and only on idle - as soon as throttle is applied tick disappeared.

The noise was coming from the driver's side cylinder bank.

To me it sounded like a lifter tick, but I know about the slipped lining issued and was starting to fear the worst. But after a bit of youtube viewing on this issue in general (not just landrover) I decided to pull the valve covers (I've had a small leak anyway so I needed to replace the valve cover gaskets at some stage).

Much to my surprise, I found a LOT of sludge build up under the covers.

So, I pulled the lifter rods to clean them. And then set about with a screwdriver, brush, carbie cleaner and I spent over 9 hours cleaning out the top of both sides. Making sure all the sludge and deposits were all gone. Used my garage vac to suck up as much as I could, and compressed air to blow through everything as well.

Then I dropped the sump pan, and there was a lot of crap in there, cleaned that out.

Replaced the sump gasket, new filter, new valve cover gaskets, everything back together, then I put some 5w30 oil in, but with 1 litre of auto trans fluid as well.

Ran it on idle for 10 mins, dropped the oil and filter, and it came out black.

So decided to do exactly the same once more, and second time I dropped the oil it was perfectly clean.

Again new filter, and refilled with penrite 10w50

And what to you know, no more ticking at all, in fact its running very smooth and quiet.

I bought this car in feb with 200ks on it. Whilst overall its good nick, the service oil changes were done every 10k. I will be doing them every 5 k from now on, and I suspect its still got a lot of life left back in it now.

So about 9 hours of my time, set of gaskets, 3 cans of carby cleaner, 10 litres of cheap thin oil and 2 litres of trans fluid, a 3 oil filters and new penrite oil, no more ticking, and I know I have a clean quiet motor.

Roverlord off road spares is offline AT REST
    Major part of the heart and soul of AULRO.com
    Vendor

Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    If sludge is that bad it sounds like a neglected engine. You did say serviced every 10K, but was it? People can write all sorts of stuff in log books.
    The only slugged engines I have come across was crap oil used or neglect with lack of servicing.
    glad you are making progress
    Regards,
    Mario

CaptainJack Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverlord off road spares View Post
    If sludge is that bad it sounds like a neglected engine. You did say serviced every 10K, but was it? People can write all sorts of stuff in log books.
    The only slugged engines I have come across was crap oil used or neglect with lack of servicing.
    glad you are making progress
    Regards,
    Mario
    I can only go by the log books which were stamped by a landrover dealer every 10,000k.
    I suspect this car did a lot of short trips.
    Everything else on the car has been well maintained and a lot of money spent on it over the years keeping everything in order.
    I suspect its more related to shorter trips, and perhaps the use of poor quality oil - unless the LR dealer was not replacing the oil?

Total Downloaded
    I've heard it is not good to use automatic fluid to flush it?

Which one did you use?

CaptainJack Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chev_1973 View Post
    I've heard it is not good to use automatic fluid to flush it?

Which one did you use?

I only used 1 liter mixed in with a low viscous oil.
    Only ran the engine on idle.
    The purpose is to run a thinner oil that will get through all the places in the engine ensuing as much residue or sludge is washed out and suspended in the oil or filter.
    Doing this without putting load on the engine will not harm it for a short period.
    It certainly did the trick for me and the engine is now entirely sludge - and tick free.
    I just used some leftover castrol DEX III i had from my trans service.

lewy is offline Wizard Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    mine gets that tick when it is due for an oil change,Change the oil and it goes away for a while.I suspect it is something to do with the timing chain.
    Darwin
    03 disco 2a td5
    93 tdi disco [gone to a better home]
    2003 d2a v8 retired hurt
    1988 k100rs bmw gone
    85 county izuzu [gone to a better home]
    69 series 2a [gone to a better home]
    series 2a [gunnado]
    series 3 [gunnado]
    and the tinny

Total Downloaded
    I've got the same issue at the moment and it's getting on my tits.

It ticks when it gets warm, and up to 1200rpm and then disappears. Again the noise appears to be coming from the driver's side cylinder bank and "To me it sounded like a lifter tick, but I know about the slipped lining issued and was starting to fear the worst"

But I know it's not sludge built up as I just rebuilt the engine. I had oil pressure issue because of a dodgy set of "brand new" rockers having the oil groove machined to deep and spewing oil from the rocker shafts. Fixed that one by refitting my old rockers but no change to the ticking.

Now before I start pulling the engine yet again I thought I'd use a little science.

So I downloaded an noise spectrum analyser app for my phone to see if I could pinpoint the frequency of the tick and help determine if its at crank speed or cam speed. (liner or lifter)

Well an idle of just under 800rpm should give me a crank frequency of 13Hz and the cam half that. But the loudest noise spike was at 20Hz! 1 1/2 times crank speed. WTF. I would think if it was a slipping liner the tick would be double the frequency of the crank. (That's one tick when it hits the head and another when seats in the bottom of the block on each rotation). So if it's a liner I should have the loudest spike at 26Hz and if it's a lifter it should be around 6-7Hz.

I confirmed this with the vibration analyser I have at work. Again it showed the highest vibration spike at 18.5Hz and 5.2mms velocity. Which is not to bad for a reciprocating engine.

The engine drives fine and it's not using coolant it's just the annoying BLOODY TICK!

So still scratching my head as I get one step closer to pulling the engine.

Total Downloaded
    I have exactly the same thing.

Oil changes, I use 5w40 in my HC engine, or a good flogging can see me tick free for several months.

Or sometimes it just disappears

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJack View Post
    I can only go by the log books which were stamped by a landrover dealer every 10,000k.
    I suspect this car did a lot of short trips.
    Everything else on the car has been well maintained and a lot of money spent on it over the years keeping everything in order.
    I suspect its more related to shorter trips, and perhaps the use of poor quality oil - unless the LR dealer was not replacing the oil?
    Don't get me started on Land Rover Dealership mechanics. If it was serviced at a dealer I would put money on it not be looked after as well as you may think.

Everything the dealership mechanic touched on my D2 TD5 they stuffed up, i'm not be sarcastic.

However I'm glad you have solved the annoying ticking problem the V8 inherently has.

Total Downloaded
    Its hard to go past Penrite full zinc mineral oils. I reckon 5,000k or 6 months if doing city type runs or 10,000 or 12 months if doing highway but not towing work. Its such an easy job to change oil and filter yourself that dirt cheap insurance should be bought every 5,000k. On lpg my oil at 5000k is very clean but changing anyway is just a guarantee of long life if the other planets are aligned.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast