Thread: Hand brake light

crl Guest

Hand brake light

My hand brake light flashes on and off intermittently whilst driving when the hand brake is definitely off. It also illuminates correctly when the brake is on. The problem started when my front drive shaft was on its way out and started to vibrate so I will have a look at the sensor. Can someone please tell me where to find the sensor and what it looks like?

The vehicle is a 2000 D2 Auto TD5.

Thanks in advance,

crl

Total Downloaded
    Switch is at the base of the handbrake lever.

Item #1 in picture.

Probably just needs minor adjustment so that contact is properly depressed when park brake lever is in the "off" position. I had the same issue with mine when I purchased it - was about a 10 minute job to fix it.

You might find that the easiest way to access it is to lift the console. That in itself is no small exercise. If you have any other wiring / switches / accessories that you want to install in or under the console, might pay to do at the same time, as it's no fun removing and replacing the console. I took the opportunity to install extra wiring / switches for accessories (rear worklight and shu-roo) while I had mine out, and have also mounted my mobile phone kit control box under the console.
    Cheers .........

BMKAL

Total Downloaded
    Hi crl,
    the same thing is happening in my 2000 defender td5, more annoying than anything else, i'll probably get M.R Automotive to look at it when it gets serviced in a couple of hundred km's

Regards extreme
    2000 Defender 110
    1963 Series 2A 88 inch (ex military)

(Landy Leon REMLR no 320)
    SLOw 13

crl Guest
    Thanks for your tips and pic mate. I will heed your advice and wait till I need to lift the console before tackling this one I think. At least now I know where to look!

crl