Australian Land Rover Owners

Gallery Donate Games Arcade Calendar Markets Shop Chat Subscribe! Files Links
Go Back   Australian Land Rover Owners > The Pinnacles > Freelander > Freelander 1

Freelander 1 Chat specifically relating to Freelander (series 1)

Old 8th January 2012, 04:09 PM
Master

td4 engine knocking?

hi guys need some help with td4 freelander.
engine was stopped due to knocking sounds from timing case etc. I took the rocker cover off and cranked the engine. No sound??? ok timing chain looks good. i hooked up the injectors and to see them squirt as i rotate the engine. results are the sometimes all/sometimes some fire but only once? How do we test Camsensor and crankcase position sensor. If both the sensors were working shouldnt the injectors continue to fire as the engine is rotated? or could this be a high pressure pump issue? how do i go from here?

regards matt
Sponsored Links
Old 8th January 2012, 04:45 PM
Master

If it was starting and running before you pulled it apart the crank and cam sensors will be ok.
How are you rotating the engine with the injectors removed?
Not recommended to try to see injectors squirt, These run super high pressure and fluid injection is a real possibility.
Best way to check HP fuel pressure is to check it running with a diagnostic machine as they have a fuel rail pressure sensor.
These have 2 timing chains as well, 1 from crank to hp fuel pump and 1 from hp fuel pump to cams.
Water pumps are common to fail. check this.
Old 8th January 2012, 06:46 PM
Master

hi

the injectors are currently out of the engine attached to their pipes pointing at a downward direction out of harms way. There was a knocking sound before i removed the rocker cover and injectors etc.

Before dismantling a knocking sound was heard and the engine switched of by the driver (not me) ( i decided not to crank the engine more as to not damade possible timming components). There doesnt seem to be any coolant loss.
With the injectors out of engine there is no knocking sound...its as if the knocking was due to a non firing cylinder etc. seems fuel related. I tried to start the vehicle but wouldn't start( prior dismantling).
After removal of injectors there was no knocking? so fuel related? If an injector won't fire is there a knocking sound? the injectors do fire once in a while but to my understanding they all should take turns unless its a sensor issue or unlikely a high pressure pump problem??

what do you think guys if i unplug a sensor and they all seem fire normally=sensor issue does that make sence?
Old 8th January 2012, 08:06 PM
Master

If you unplug either the cam or crank sensor it won't fire. It needs both of these sensors to start. Once started it needs the crank sensor to continue running.

You wont get a knocking noise if the injector doesn't fire. You can if the injector fires late or the incorrect amount.

Can you hear the electric fuel pumps running if you turn the key on?

These have 3 fuel pumps. One is mounted in the fuel tank, one is mounted either in front of the RHR wheel or in the LH side of the engine bay (depends on year model) and the other is engine driven from the timing chain. You should have 29 to 35 psi fuel pressure supplied to the High pressure fuel pump. You need to make sure both electric pumps work as well, as either not working will cause problems. You wont be able to check fuel pressure from the high pressure pump as these can make up to nearly 19000 psi.
Sponsored Links
Old 8th January 2012, 10:21 PM
Master

thanks woko ill check if the pump in the tank is getting fuel could it be blocked fuel filter? i havent changed since 70k its at 140k because i could never find it what a tool of me what an excuse. it was getting fuel to pump and injectors but when you mentioned amount im starting to think filter first? ill change it. in regards to the timing, i see timing chain up top. do you need to remove anything significant to view to lower timing chain? so i know timing is not off? the engine cranks over without knocking so i think its a combustion issue. honestly it might be a filter change issue?

thanks regards matt
Old 9th January 2012, 07:06 AM
Master

You must have a 02 onwards TD4 if you can't find the fuel filter. Its located under plastic covers in front of the RHR wheel. Its well hidden.

You wont be able to check cam timing, you need the service tools. There is no marks and the chain sprockets have no key way.

There are plugs in the timing case which you need a large allen key to remove, the chain tensioners are under these, you may be able to inspect chain or at least the tension of the chain through these.