Thread: Radiator fans run even with ignition off.

Total Downloaded

Radiator fans run even with ignition off.

Hi, we left the freelander l diesel running all day (idling) to try and clean the fuel system . ( with biocide and cleaner in the diesel).
    Unfortunately I was not the one to put it away , and he did not notice that the fans were running even with the ignition turned off.
    In the morning the battery was flat , I put a new battery in , and noticed the fans were still running , thought he had left the ignition on , but it was off.
    the fans still run continuously , and code has appeared on the clock .

Any Ideas what has happened.
    Everytime I checked the temp gauge was about 1/2 way up , but i Was busy through the day .

Total Downloaded
    I had that same problem on a '99 V8 Disco 2 I once owned. Would occur now & then & I would have to disconnect the battery for a minute or so & it would go away for a while again. Never worked out what was actually caused it

schuy1 Guest
    If freelanders are like the discos, and I think they are, the fan switching is controlled by the ecu in conjunction with the temp sender. You may have a faulty temp sender unit. "code" on the clock ? Do you mean the stereo unit? if so thats because you disconnected the battery and now it requires you to enter a 4 digit security code to unlock. The code should be in the cars booklet.
    Cheers Scott