Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Mileage Freelander 2

Total Downloaded
    Jon,
    A month or so ago now we have a client trade in his FL2 for a new D4
    His speedo reading was over 320K Km's.
    Few minor issues when new & carried out the recalls applicable to his vehicle, but apart from that no "major" issues whatsoever.

Having a family now means he required some more room.

Total Downloaded
    Rather than start a new thread, I though I'd bump this ancient one.

I live in a rural area and drive 100-300km most weeks. I sometimes tow a small car on a trailer or the odd load of firewood etc. I also do a little offroading but not full on rock-hopping. Muddy forest trails with the odd bog hole, dirt roads and similar. There are lots of these to explore where I live.

I don't want a huge 4x4 as we already have one of those as a family car. This car will mostly be just for when I am by myself.

Freelander 2 Diesels with a few kays on them seem to be a really good deal, on paper anyway. Cheap for what they are. Good economy, good power to weight, and they look great. While I'm a bit suspicious of the witchcraft of the "Terrain Response" system, from reading online reports it seems it will do what I need offroad. The towing capacity is also high enough to handle the towing I do.

What online reports won't tell you though, is what these cars are like when they get old.

Hence I am interested to hear from people who have put 250,000+km on a Freelander 2 2.2 Diesel. What problems have you had, how expensive were they to fix etc?

Thanks,
    Brett.

Total Downloaded
    To put it simply.

The Freelander 2 diesel, is the most reliable vehicle Land Rover has ever built. Ask anyone that works for Land Rover.

Some of the independents are biased towards the older, mechanical diesel, like the Tdi in the Discovery 1 and Defender, but they are outdated now. As far as the overall vehicle is concerned, FL2's are the most affordable Land Rover to own and run, ever.

The starter motors and door locks are the only things I've seen be a regular issue.
    $40 for a new plunger and contacts, or $1100 for a new starter...

I'd buy one (we have one at home). But I'd avoid any other modern LR like the plague, the D4 (we have one of these too) is starting to look like a bigger money pit than anything else.

Total Downloaded
    Thanks for that feedback Will. It is encouraging.

I'd love a Defender 90, but a TDI one would probably drive me nuts in a week with the noise and lack of refinement. I might as well keep the reliable-but-ratty old Surf if I want to go everywhere slow, smelly and half-deaf. Maybe I am getting old.

My budget certainly won't stretch to the asking price of a Puma 90. I have been looking at TD5 Discovery II's, but I really don't want something that big. Hence considering the Freelander 2.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by bnicho View Post
    I have been looking at TD5 Discovery II's, but I really don't want something that big. Hence considering the Freelander 2.
    Probably find they are similar sizes.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
    Probably find they are similar sizes.
    The FL2 is actually wider!

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by MR LR View Post
    The FL2 is actually wider!
    FL2 is shorter, lower in the roof line and lighter. But the wider part does concern me. Not sure if they are both measured with mirrors fully extended though!

Total Downloaded
    Well, I bought it. Now just waiting on RWC before I collect it. Then the fun of arranging a towbar.

Total Downloaded
    Hayman Reese- about $800 wired. That's without the reverse sensor cut out.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by russ55 View Post
    Hayman Reese- about $800 wired. That's without the reverse sensor cut out.
    I can live without the cutout if there is a switch to kill them. Not sure if my purchase has one or not. I didn't check.

It's a UK private import GS TD4.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12