Thread: Freelander 2 Central Locking problem

Total Downloaded

Question Freelander 2 Central Locking problem

I have a FreeLander 2 nearly 4 years old. When I try to lock the car using the dongle the driver's door doesn't lock. The mirrors rotate in as normal, all the other doors lock but not the driver's door. I can open it with the handle which sets off the alarm. Any suggestions to try?

Total Downloaded
    With mine, the passenger door wouldn't unlock. LR lubricated it with something under warranty so I'm not sure what it was. Mine was 4 years old at the time but I had extended warranty.

Total Downloaded
    I have the same prob with rear, right hand door. If you sit inside the car while locking it with the fob, you'll notice that the lock on the handle is not moving as it will on the other doors. I'll try some lubricant on it before calling LR.

Total Downloaded
    Any suggestions on what parts to lubricate and how to do it - assuming some graphite lubricant is the way to go. I've just discovered by accident that the drivers door is not locking when the fob is pushed once - deadlock and it's okay but normal lock you can open the door (and alarm sounds horn).

Total Downloaded
    Yes, mine also has a few electrical gremlins. :-) Good luck

Total Downloaded
    I currently have the same issue with my 2008 Freelander 2
    Its become much more of an issue seeing that someone set my alarm off last night but nothing was taken from the car..very lucky. How did you resolve this issue ?

Total Downloaded
    Update.

Seeing this was never answered I have a problem with the drivers door not locking. All other doors are fine.

This time I will let you guys know the fix. But give me a few days.
    04 L322 Vogue V8 - Work truck
    07 Freelander 2 TD4 SE - The wifes
    74 Leyland P76 Targa Florio - Aspen Green
    91 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Previous LRs = 78IIa series - 81, 93, 95 RRC - D2V8

Total Downloaded

Sorted

Ok so I've fixed the drivers door not locking issue.

I replaced the mechanism as it was so cheap it wasn't worth the effort of trying to take the old one apart to see what the problem with it was. The cheap Chinese replacement was just under $50 and was absolutely identical to the factory item.

(I don't mind using the way cheaper Chinese stuff as I think it comes form the same factories that the OEM items come from, (ie an aftermarket $120 drivers door window regulator for the Freelander 2 I bought a few years ago actually had the "Land Rover" markings roughly ground off and painted over and still works fine)).

It's not a hard job to change out the mechanism, the only thing to worry about is you don't break anything you will have to reuse.

Firstly Lower the window a few inches before you take the door card off. Remove the inner door handle cable from the interior handle by depressing the little tap under where the cable fits in. DON'T try and remove the outer door handle and cable they are fine where they are as you will probably break the taps that hold the rear piece on like I did (Sikaflex is your friend there).

Take out the speaker so you can fit your hand up into the door and release the tabs that hold the window to the regulator mechanism. Push the window up out of the way and tape it in place. Then undo the regulator and move it to the side.

Undo the 3 door lock screws so you can move the locking mechanism around some. Use a small flat blade screwdriver through the door lock hole to carefully unclip the cable from the outer door handle and twist 90 deg and remove the cable end.

Remove the locking mechanism from the door being careful not to overly twist the inner door handle cable, be gentle! Remove the cable from the locking mechanism and chuck the mechanism in the bin.

Fitting is the absolute reverse of the removal. Just be careful with the white door card clips to centre them in their holes before you push on the door card.

LR011275 Front DRIVER SIDE Right Door Lock Actuator for Land Rover Range Sport | eBay
    04 L322 Vogue V8 - Work truck
    07 Freelander 2 TD4 SE - The wifes
    74 Leyland P76 Targa Florio - Aspen Green
    91 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Previous LRs = 78IIa series - 81, 93, 95 RRC - D2V8