Thread: Freelander 2 Towing

Total Downloaded

Freelander 2 Towing

Whether it is wishful thinking or not but I am contemplating buying a trailer boat. I am pretty sure my Freelander SD4 has a towing capacity of 2000kg however I have been looking at a 6m boat which supposed to have a weight of 1650kg. The boat physically dwarfs the Freelander and am worried that although it meets the weight limits the size may be a problem. I guess it is smaller than a normal size caravan but seek advise from the forum members as to their experience in what they have towed without problem. The boat by the way is a Whittley 2080.

Total Downloaded
    Tow a camper caravan that maxes at 1.6t - don't even know it's there.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Meken View Post
    Tow a camper caravan that maxes at 1.6t - don't even know it's there.
    Is your's an SD4?
    L322 tdv8 poverty pack - wow
    Perentie 110 wagon ARN 49-107 (probably selling) turbo, p/steer, RFSV front axle/trutrack, HF, gullwing windows, double jerrys etc.
    Perentie 110 wagon ARN 48-699 another project
    Track Trailer ARN 200-117
    REMLR # 137

Total Downloaded
    2008 hse td4 (110kw 380Nm)

Total Downloaded

Weight Distribution Hitch

Hi, I have a 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 and a small 2014 Jayco Journey. The Journey gets to wobbles at around 95km/h. I know that LR Aust frown on WDHs but the Freelander has coil suspension so I don't see why there's a problem with the hitches. The Journey's ATM is 1700kg and the tow bar is a genuine LR kit.

Does anyone have any comments/suggestions about a WDH?

Cheers

Homestar is offline Super Moderator & CA manager Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Although I don't own one, I have driven a couple, and their power output is much greater than than the old petrol X-Trail we own - that easily tows our 16' Franklin Arrow - which dwarfs the car as it's an old full height van - with a 5" lift in it, and which is 7'6" wide. It comes in at 1,400Kg and the X-Trail can easily tow it at 100.

You'll be fine.
    If you need to contact me please email homestarrunnerau@gmail.com - thanks - Gav.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by bacicat View Post
    Although I don't own one, I have driven a couple, and their power output is much greater than than the old petrol X-Trail we own - that easily tows our 16' Franklin Arrow - which dwarfs the car as it's an old full height van - with a 5" lift in it, and which is 7'6" wide. It comes in at 1,400Kg and the X-Trail can easily tow it at 100.

You'll be fine.
    Thanks bacicat,

The Journey tows easily, the only problem I have is it starts to sway just under 100km/h so I thought my Camac WDH might stop the swaying.

Cheers

Homestar is offline Super Moderator & CA manager Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    A WDH will help with swaying, but it will only mask the underlying problems you have with your setup. A well set up van shouldn't sway so my guess is you have other issues. How is the nose weight - got enough/too much? Where is the centre of mass? Too much weight too far behind the axle will also cause this. If you have spare tyres, jerry cans, bikes, etc hanging off the back of the van, remove theses and take it for a spin and see if you still have issues.

The other issue could be the geometry of the van. Has the axle moved at all on the spring pack? The distance between the centre point of each wheel to the pivot of the hitch needs to be identical. If something isn't in line, this can cause swaying at high speed too.

A bit of investigation and changes on how you load the van may be all that is needed.
    If you need to contact me please email homestarrunnerau@gmail.com - thanks - Gav.