Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metal sump change at 79000km

Total Downloaded
    I was advised by the auto tran shop who changed my pan and fluid to change the ATF every 20000?

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by smwilk
    I was advised by the auto tran shop who changed my pan and fluid to change the ATF every 20000?
    The more regular the service the better is has to be....but cost would be a big factor. I will change mine at 60k. That's what I have always stuck with due to very heavy towing and lots of outback touring.

Ean Austral Guest
    I think if you were to change the oil every 50000ks then you would only need to use about 5ltrs ,as dont think you would require the mega flush.

I will just keep changing mine, as I would assume that by the time I do another 50-60,000ks the oil in the drum would be RS anyway, so may as well just keep dropping it and refilling it.

Cheers Ean

Total Downloaded
    I am in the process of changing my sump this coming week.

Just a thought, if you drain the tranny and start the engine momentarily for few seconds so that Torque Converter(TC) runs wont you get more oil out from the TC and the cooler?

Won't it pump out more oil out say in 3 - 5 seconds ,surely it cant do any damage ? OR can it.

Ean Austral Guest
    Gday All,

Changed the oil again today at 79500km and the oil came out the colour similar to tea.. considering the new oil is about the same colour as cooking oil, think will do another change at 80,000 and that should do it till about 130,000ks.

Changed the transfer oil at the same time, and altho it never smelt as bad as the gearbox oil did when i first changed it , it was pretty dirty, so think will do it more regularly than the service sched recommends.

Now can start on the other jobs, like rear brake pads.

Cheers Ean

Total Downloaded

20Ltr Oil Drum

"Ean Austral", you commented that you had a 20 litre drum of oil, where did you get it and how much did you pay for it?

Did you also get the metal sump at the same time and how much was it?

I am towing a 3000kg caravan and advice tells me to change the oil 40000km's so this could be an expensive habit if I rely on the price I get from the mechanic.

Thanks.

Ean Austral Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by groveraus View Post
    "Ean Austral", you commented that you had a 20 litre drum of oil, where did you get it and how much did you pay for it?

Did you also get the metal sump at the same time and how much was it?

I am towing a 3000kg caravan and advice tells me to change the oil 40000km's so this could be an expensive habit if I rely on the price I get from the mechanic.

Thanks.
    I purchased the whole lot direct from ZF in sydney.

Got the steel pan, filter and oil, from memory it was a bit over $500.

HTH

Cheers Ean

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12