axle parts worth keeping / or what tends to go?
Just about cleaned up my Series 3 bits and at the stage of working out what is kept or what ends up as scrap. I have a complete Salisbury rear end and the front end. The Salisbury housing is very rusty and I can't imagine anyone reusing it as a bolt in. Obviously the axles out of it are worth keeping but:
1. is it only the crown wheel and pinion that normally wear or break? Are they crazy money to buy new or hard to get?
2. How hard is it to pull them out? Read something about stretching the casing or something?
3. Drums are very rusty and hydraulics i would always buy new, but are these brakes bigger and someone might use backing plates on an earlier model?
4. At the front those round swivel housings i think they are called are rusted slightly at the top. Does that make them instant throw away?, Is this a part that wears and is expensive to replace - mine currently look fine.
5. the front diff centre is easily removed by the look of things and can easily store that, although i imagine they dont wear a lot.
6. The front housing is not rusty like the rear one but are they pretty tough or is that a part that can bend over time? (asking this question having just paid 3k to Nissans to replace the front housing on an 18 month 22k km work car - not their problem, apparently one of my people must have been rough with it!!)
7. Do the front axles have a tendency to break or are they pretty tough?
8. Springs are quite rusty all round. Does that make them junk or does anyone think they could still be useful as donor parts for resetting or adding leaves to my S2 that sags?
Obviously these questions are leading to whether I should just pull the axles and scrap the rest. I don't want to store stuff that nobody is likely to ever use but I also hate chucking good stuff away and would prefer to give bits away than get a few bucks for scrap.
Any advice and experience greatly appreciated.
|The Following User Says Thank You to Craigb For This Useful Post:|
Lionelgee (20th March 2012)
1986 110 County 3.9 diesel
1970 2a 109 2.25 petrol
Cant thank you enough John, just the sort of answers from years of experience i was looking for. I could answer these questions if someone asked me for an old Mercedes, but i am relatively new to landrovers. Means i can now store away the important bits and rest off for scrap.
|Search AULRO.com ONLY! ||Search All the Web! |