Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300tdi Range Rover Classic Conversion

Total Downloaded
    Its been a while since I updated this thread. I have finally got the 300tdi installed and working.

I'm sorry for not being able to post some pics of my progress from where I last left you guys, but someone broke into my car and stole my camera with all the pictures of this build on it.

So all I can give you in the way of photos is what the end product looks like.

To give you a quick run down what I did after removing the V8.

1. Mated the 300tdi engine to the Auto Gearbox & Transfer case (I used the gearbox wiring harness from the V8 Auto which was a direct plug in to the auto box from a 96 tdi disco. I removed the speedo drive and transducer from the V8 auto and screwed it to the transfer case on the new auto box.

2. I ended up dropping the whole Engine, Gearbox & transfer case into the Rangie in one go, I used the gearbox mounts from the v8 to the new tdi gearbox, which bolted straight up. then it was a matter of positioning the engine where it needed to be and welding in the engine mounts. I used a mobile welding company called Fiddly Welds (www.fiddlywelds.com.au) who did a great job in welding the mounts into place. The one thing they I didn't do was change the engine mounts whilst the out of the car, which I had to do when the engine was in place due to originals being cracked.

3. The next thing was to empty the fuel tank of unleaded and modify the fuel pump that sits inside the fuel tank, as the 300tdi has a lift pump bolted onto the engine you don't require the electric fuel pump. I ended up removing it and modifying the pickup and return lines. Also I mounted the fuel filter to the firewall which the threaded holes were already there from the factory.

4. The last thing to do was use the existing wiring harness out for the V8 to wire up the 300tdi engine. The temp and oil sensor are the same and colour coded identically, the 12volt coil wire was extended and connected to the fuel shut off solenoid and the alternator wiring was the same on both the V8 and tdi.

So last weekend I filled up the tank with Diesel, dropped the battery back in and after a few cranks the 300tdi fired up.

All to do now is to bolt the bonnet back on and get the Blue plate (Qld engineering modification plate) and a roadworthy certificate and register it to be on the road.

Its been a great experience doing this conversion, happy to help anyone else out that is think of doing the same conversion.

Feel free to ask me any questions anytime.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Total Downloaded
    Over the weekend I drove the Rangie out of the garage for a couple of photos the end product
    Attached Images Attached Images

Total Downloaded
    That looks really sharp. Apart from the rear bumper. Any drive time yet?

Total Downloaded
    Thanks mate. Yeah I want to ditch the rear bumper but can't find a good original. I've only driven it around the block to see if everything is ok.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AULRO mobile app

Total Downloaded
    Hi great post is it blue plated yet and did you have any issues. Inter cooler radiator fitment, I'm in Townsville, and this has tickled my creative juices. Baz

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazzle218 View Post
    Hi great post is it blue plated yet and did you have any issues. Inter cooler radiator fitment, I'm in Townsville, and this has tickled my creative juices. Baz
    Thanks Baz. Blue plate is next week if I have time. Intercooler and radiator is a straight swap if you use one from a defender or discovery 1.
    Everything bolts straight up only major change is the engine mounts. Happy to talk you through if your considering a conversion, just PM me. Thanks Michael

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AULRO mobile app

Total Downloaded
    So which torque converter did you use?

I understand there are three sizes, the 300tdi and Td5 had the smallest, the 3.9 V8's got the middle size and the 4.6 the big one.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    So which torque converter did you use?

I understand there are three sizes, the 300tdi and Td5 had the smallest, the 3.9 V8's got the middle size and the 4.6 the big one.
    Hi Dougal. I just used the standard 300dti torque converter that came with the tdi auto gearbox.

Total Downloaded
    A nice looking classic now with great fuel consumption ....you gotta love that.

Dougal ....great thread would love to do it on my 2 Door Classic, but torn with keeping it original ....as there's so few 2 Dr classics around .... but it is tempting.

Cheers

Baggy

Total Downloaded
    Sorry Mykel1234,

Its late over here in Perth ...... and I get confused easily my previous post should have been directed to you not Dougal.

Baggy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12