Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Def swerves on left braking - HELP ME PLEASE

under a rock, next to a tree, at Broadmarsh
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by bismillah View Post
    ------- Could it be the faulty sensor? it might be cause the problem? ------
    Those front sensors are prone to breaking the wire in the flexible cable going into the sensor and you can test this by uncoupling the plug at the chassis, then whilst measuring across the wires to the sensor with a multimeter set for measuring ohms, pull and push the flexible cable to see if there is any disruption to the measurement.

There is no difference between the front to the back sensors except for the length of the cable, on the Discovery series one the back cable is longer and can be used in the front if it is carefully wound up and then cable tied out of the way.

I have not done this test myself, other than tapping a sensor further in at the front hub to make it give a more consistent reading and then resetting the ECU by the paper clip method. This procedure has worked for me on my D1 with it's ABS light now staying off after it moves a few metres.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by dullbird View Post
    That's quite interesting

Although I don't see how a faulty sensor would cause the car to start drifting as you gain speed.

Perhaps the sensor is ok and the speed difference is due to something else??? I'm finding it hard to understand the part on the rear left wheel it appears the speed increases like the others on the reading from stand still (is that right?)

So if its not coherent is it reading faster or slower than the others?
    Yes, stay sill 3 wheels are at 0 and 1 at 397km/h going the speed rises with this bias: 1km/h for all 398km/h; 2km/h for all 399km/h, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by dullbird View Post
    Have you ever checked to see if there is any noticeable difference in heat in all 4 wheels and tyres after a journey where you have had to drive got a long period or use the brakes a fair bit.
    In my old discs and pads i didn't notice any difference between rear left and rear right...

Total Downloaded
    I did a test: I disconnected the ABS fuse. In this way, the ABS and TC does not work and possible problems of sensors have no effect.

The result? Great loking brakes but unfortunately always inclined to left. Damn.

A friend advised me to check

- Steering box has come loose

- Play in the steering box

- Play in the intermediate shaft on the steering column

what about?

Total Downloaded
    Hi guys!! I did the braking test on rollers. Every wheel brake good and the difference between the front is 2% and between the two rear is 3% the tollerance in 30%

So.. it is not a braking problem...

Let's look to the Steering box?

Total Downloaded
    I still say if it goes left without 'turning' the steering wheel, then it has to be axle movement.

2013 BMW R1200GS
    1990 BMW K1
    1983 BMW K100 Custom
    1954 DKW RT175

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by lt8x7 View Post
    I still say if it goes left without 'turning' the steering wheel, then it has to be axle movement.
    You are going straight... 90km/h...100km/h...110km/h.. holding the steering wheel straight perfectily straight you push the brake slowly and you see that you are going in the left lane but you are always holding the steering wheel straight!! At this speed I think it's dangerous to push harder a brake. At lower speed (like 70km/h) if you brake nearly to the ABS action always holding the steering wheel straigt you stop looking the left.

To brake straingt I have to rotate the steering wheel to the right when I brake

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by lt8x7 View Post
    So.. It's not easy to answer if the steering wheel turn or not because, as already said if you hold the steering wheel straight and you brake you go left eventhough you are always holding the steering wheel. Also if you leave the steering it doesn't move when you brake or if it moves is a coseguence of the deviation. It's also true that if I brake turning the steering wheel right I can (more or less) brake straight (at 60-70 km/h) (at 100-110 km/h never tried, you have be very brave)

JDNSW is online now RoverLord Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    The symptoms suggest it has to be either the front or rear axle moving when braking. Just about has to be the bushes at the end of the locating links front and rear, although a rusted or damaged mount that is flexing could also cause this.

John
    John

JDNSW
    1986 110 County 3.9 diesel
    1970 2a 109 2.25 petrol

under a rock, next to a tree, at Broadmarsh
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by JDNSW View Post
    The symptoms suggest it has to be either the front or rear axle moving when braking. Just about has to be the bushes at the end of the locating links front and rear, ---------
    Go through this list of parts for the back axle, check for any loose hardware, paying particular attention for any signs of wear to the swiveling parts and parts that have rubber in them.

Total Downloaded
    Hi guys, I still need some information.
    A friend pointed out that to go straight with my car it is necessary to hold the steering wheel slightly to the right, and that in any case the play from the center position of the steering wheel rotating to the right is greater than to the left. He may not have anything to do with the problem but I wanted to ask what is the procedure to center al the steering.

If I am not mistaken you must first center the steering box, then the wheels and the steering wheel at the end. That's right? How?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast