Thread: Looking for info on good double din nav and entertainment for MY11 FL2

Total Downloaded

Post Looking for info on good double din nav and entertainment for MY11 FL2

Hi guys,

This is my first post so please be nice

The after market garmin nav unit sold with my FL2 has crapped its self.
    Rather than replace I am thinking about upgrading to an integrated double din DVD/nav/Bluetooth HD 7" head unit. The unti I'm hoping will replace the the garmin unit (location wise)

I'm looking for some advice about options.

Can any assist??

Thanks

Total Downloaded
    This should point you in the right direction Freel2.com - View topic - Pioneer Retrofit

Total Downloaded

Parrot asteroid smart install into freelander 2

Hi all, does anyone have experience installing a parrot asteroid smart into the top mount dash section?

The guy at atobarn tells me I need to pull the whole factory radio cd unit out. After seeing some double din installs where the built in garmin unit sit, I have my doubts.

Please advise of parts required and pics if possible???

Chris

Total Downloaded
    the top part is just a cubby hole the Garmin unit actually sits in a waffle mount that you can pull out. you could possibly fit that unit in above but you would need to make some kind of mount up.

To get at it you need to

Remove the top cover from the back (closest to windscreen) this does require quite a bit of persuading but it will come out.

then you can get at the top screws
    you will have to remove the little rubber piece out to get at another 2 screws
    I think there are 6 or so in total

From there you can pull on the whole front surround from the top it will come out as well be careful not to scratch the bottom as you pull it out. there is a connector or two that will have to come off.

That will give you a clear view of what you have to work with.

Sorry I don't have any pics of the disassembly I always forget to take photos

Personally I like the look of the factory radio unit and if/when my Garmin finally packs it in I will just replace it with something similar sized. The Hema Navigator would actually fit in there quite nice with a bracket at the back.

May not be your cup of tea but see attached pic of what mine looks like

I am not sure if all Freelanders with Garmin fitted are the same but if you follow the Garmin's wiring and remove the drivers side panel beside the radio unit mine was plugged into a cig lighter socked to i just put a splitter on to power my UHF through a plug rather than hard wiring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Total Downloaded
    Thanks. Kind of thinking illmneed a pro to do the install. I'm not the most mechanically mind bloke. That said, still keen to know if the parrot asteroid smart will fit in the cubby hole. I figure the whole console would need to come out so I can rewire the stero, blue tooth steering wheel controls. Such a pain that my garmin **** itself, I was a really happy camper till that moment.

Total Downloaded
    The couple of pros I've spoken to 12 months ago quoted about $3k for dd unit. Complicated install as oem unit has to be hidden somewhere in the car with the wiring extended to it & back so you keep the steering wheel controls & dash display info!
    There are some Chinese units that are made to fit into the cubby hole & have the connections etc to integrate into the loom look up freelander2 double din gps

Total Downloaded
    Scroll back down a few topics and you will find some pictures of my sony unit
    http://www.aulro.com/afvb/freelander...ml#post2166515

It has gps and bluetooth and works really well. Was in the car when I bought it so can't tell you much about the installation.