Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defender Steering Wheel Removal..........

under a rock, next to a tree, at Broadmarsh
    Total Downloaded

try the other way

Quote Originally Posted by numpty View Post
    Yep. Have tried that too
    Hi Numpty

When confronted with a shaft or bolt that wont budge, I do it up tighter and give it a whack to force it even tighter again, this will crack the bind.

Then undo the nut a couple of turns only and use a puller if possible, or that rocking motion mentioned before, while tapping briskly using an old half inch drive extension, a socket with a sacrificial nut on top of the original nut, ( that has only been loosened a couple of turns, ) the socket should then bottom out onto the sacrificial nut before touching the steering wheel hub.

Don't take the nut completely off and pull because if the wheel does come quick, you will be sorry, look ugly, have a broken nose and be with two black eyes.

Another trick, is to use on the shaft some freeze spray.

Total Downloaded
    The most stubborn steering wheels, I've held one side as hard as I can pulling in the off direction and flogged 180 degree side with a large rubber mallet

numpty is offline TopicToaster Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinklearthur View Post
    Hi Numpty

When confronted with a shaft or bolt that wont budge, I do it up tighter and give it a whack to force it even tighter again, this will crack the bind.

Then undo the nut a couple of turns only and use a puller if possible, or that rocking motion mentioned before, while tapping briskly using an old half inch drive extension, a socket with a sacrificial nut on top of the original nut, ( that has only been loosened a couple of turns, ) the socket should then bottom out onto the sacrificial nut before touching the steering wheel hub.

Don't take the nut completely off and pull because if the wheel does come quick, you will be sorry, look ugly, have a broken nose and be with two black eyes.

Another trick, is to use on the shaft some freeze spray.
    Have tried the first and I do have a little experience in stubborn fasteners but I will try the freeze spray

Quote Originally Posted by rovercare View Post
    The most stubborn steering wheels, I've held one side as hard as I can pulling in the off direction and flogged 180 degree side with a large rubber mallet
    Have done this too but have not necessarily been brutal enough.
    Numpty

Thomas - 1955 Series 1 107" Truck Cab
    Leon - 1957 Series 1 88" Soft Top
    Lewis - 1963 Series 11A ex Mil Gunbuggy
    Teddy5 - 2001 Ex Telstra Big Cab Td5
    ​Betsy - 1963 Series 11A ex Mil GS
    REMLR No 143

Tombie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rovercare View Post
    Similar method..

Nut almost off (but still engaged a thread or 3)
    Arms under the wheel like you're holding a tray..
    Rapid movement of arms towards your face alternating between them
    banging as hard as you can as fast as you can... (watch out for your stalks)

I've never had one not come off....

Total Downloaded
    In an attempt to not be dodgy, I went and purchased a puller.

It was crap, and I went the bolts trying to get it off. Then I put new bolts in it and stripped the thread on the thing itself.

yay!

So I've ordered an much stronger looking one from ebay..
    Hercules: 1986 110 Isuzu 3.9 (4BD1-T)
    Brutus: 1969 109 ExMil 2a FFT (loved and lost)

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by flagg View Post
    In an attempt to not be dodgy, I went and purchased a puller.

It was crap, and I went the bolts trying to get it off. Then I put new bolts in it and stripped the thread on the thing itself.

yay!

So I've ordered an much stronger looking one from ebay..
    Ok, first you've been told how it's done, without a puller, but if you'd like to use one, you need to add tension then beat the steering wheel, your trying to break a seized joint, many various pullers and depressors are ruined by thinking they do all the work

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinklearthur View Post

I know this is an old thread but I looked it up because I had the same problem as the original poster.

I REALLY wish I had read the quoted comment. Currently sitting on the couch feeling sorry for myself with a bag of half frozen peas on my face. OUCH!

JDNSW is offline RoverLord Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by archieaja View Post

I REALLY wish I had read the quoted comment. Currently sitting on the couch feeling sorry for myself with a bag of half frozen peas on my face. OUCH!
    I take it you managed to get the wheel off?

John
    John

JDNSW
    1986 110 County 3.9 diesel
    1970 2a 109 2.25 petrol

under a rock, next to a tree, at Broadmarsh
    Total Downloaded
    Oh dear!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12