Thread: Suzuki Grand Vitara Problems

Total Downloaded

Suzuki Grand Vitara Problems

A friend has a H25A Powered Grand Vitara that has developed what she describes as a surge problem....intermittent of course.

Usually at cruising speeds, she says sometimes it will go away if she puts her foot down, sometimes not. Usually has to have been running for a while for the problem to show.

I havn't been able to get the thing to play up while I'm driving it.

Has new plugs, air filter and fuel filter.
    Checked all electrical connections to injectors and coils. Checked resistances to all six coil...all more or less the same.
    Starts well, idles well and runs well most of the time.
    Fuel economy seems to be what it should be.

Starting to think dying fuel pump, faulty fuel pressure reg or maybe blocked EGR valve.

Any ideas?

As this will probably end up being a love job by me (parts included), I would rather find the actual fault rather than just throw parts at it and hope.

Cheers
    Rick

Total Downloaded

Question

Hey Mate....

Have a look at the following site North Brisbane 4x4 Club. This site is a wealth of info and there a few fellas on there that have the GV that u speak of. The chap to PM if u wish goes by "Nissvit". He knows a fair bit about Zooks.....

or u could try: Auszookers
    This is another Zook Forum but more Sierras/ Vitaras, but u may be lucky with your enquires....

rob

Total Downloaded
    Cheers

Total Downloaded
    If you are talking a carby Vitara , I had the same problem .
    It would run perfectly when cold but then get a big flat spot.
    I had the carby rebuilt with no result, new plugs etc etc .
    I then got the manual , and did some research, and I am theoretically sure that it is the EGR valve sticking half open.
    The reason I say this is that I sold my house with the Vitara in the garage before I got up there to replace the valve.

So I vote for EGR valve sticking, as it is between the inlet and exhaust manifold and when sticking introduces exhaust gas all the time if stuck.
    Regards Philip A

Total Downloaded
    That's worth considering..... but all Grand Vitaras are Fuel Injected and being a 2.5ltr V6, it's bound to be a little more involved

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipA View Post
    If you are talking a carby Vitara , I had the same problem .
    It would run perfectly when cold but then get a big flat spot.
    I had the carby rebuilt with no result, new plugs etc etc .
    I then got the manual , and did some research, and I am theoretically sure that it is the EGR valve sticking half open.
    The reason I say this is that I sold my house with the Vitara in the garage before I got up there to replace the valve.

So I vote for EGR valve sticking, as it is between the inlet and exhaust manifold and when sticking introduces exhaust gas all the time if stuck.
    Regards Philip A

Total Downloaded
    I missed the word "Grand".
    Regard sPhilip A
    Having said that often a miss or surge when cruising along but say reintroducing a bit of acceleration is caused by a faulty Thottle Position Sensor. the throttle position Sensor is the first sensor to react to a load increase and if faulty can cause a momentary drop out.

Of course if the car has o2 sensors they would have to be suspect also.
    seeing it is a Grand and injected, maybe the first thing to do is read the fault codes.
    Last edited by PhilipA; 28th August 2014 at 10:24 AM. Reason: more info

Total Downloaded
    Yes it is EFI, no Its not throwing any codes. No check engine light when its happening. So kinda thinking its something out of the scope of the management system.

Threw some injector cleaner in for today......you never know.

Gunna try and swap cars with her for a few days, try test a few other things and clean EGR valve out.