Thread: Do I need an engineering cert for..

Total Downloaded

Do I need an engineering cert for..

Hey all, I bought a lifted disco 1. I think it's got 3' of lift and its running 33's.

Does anyone know or can point me to where I might find out what the legalities are? I dont want to spend too much on it so I'd rather not engineer if it didnt need it anyway. lol.

I'd ring local engineer but he is currently in europe. Just seeing if anyone has had any experience with 3' lifts and engineering

Total Downloaded
    To find out if you need it, speak with the registration authority and your insurance company - at the end of the day, they're the mob who will be after you if something goes wrong and the car doesn't comply.

Good luck with it.

Matt.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveB View Post
    Hey all, I bought a lifted disco 1. I think it's got 3' of lift and its running 33's.

Does anyone know or can point me to where I might find out what the legalities are? I dont want to spend too much on it so I'd rather not engineer if it didnt need it anyway. lol.

I'd ring local engineer but he is currently in europe. Just seeing if anyone has had any experience with 3' lifts and engineering
    as well as an extension ladder

Total Downloaded
    If the ACT is anything like NSW (and I've been told it is by the ACT equivalent of the RTA) then anything over a total of 2" lift requires certification. you have gone up in wheel size and increased your suspension height, so yes, you would need certification under VSB14 certification code LS8 - High Lift, as your increase in height is in the range 50-150mm.

Cheers,

Treeve

Total Downloaded
    Stock tyre size is 29" so the 33" tyres are 4" over, and contribute 2" increase in height. Some states only allow 2" increase in tyre diameter, some might allow more with an engineer's cert.

3" suspension lift plus 2" tyre lift exceeds what most states allow, usually 2" suspension plus 1" tyre is max, but some may allow more with an eng cert.

Total Downloaded
    The suspension may not require certification because the vehicle was manufactured when the rule (in NSW at least) was 1/3 metal to metal travel which will probably be somewhere around 70mm for the Discovery and then take this from the highest tolerance for ride height by Land Rover according to Land Rovers specifications - this is more than likely different to the delivered ride height and almost definitely different to any unmodified Disco1 today. So based on that, when it was done it wasn't needed and the rules are not retrospective.

Tyres.... I cant see how it would not require certification. because of speedo error and non compliance with the ADR if uncorrected.
    Cheers
    Slunnie

~ Discovery II Td5 ~ Discovery 3dr V8 ~ Series IIa 6cyl ute ~ Series II V8 ute ~

Total Downloaded
    The maximum for tyres is 7% over standard and suspension is 50mm max, anything over this requires an engineers cert.

Baz.
    Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 SE 2.7L
    1990 Perentie FFR EX Aust Army
    1967 Series IIa 109 (Farm Truck)
    2007 BMW R1200GS
    1979 BMW R80/7
    1983 BMW R100TIC Ex ACT Police
    1994 Yamaha XT225 Serow

Total Downloaded
    Should it be pointed out that a 3" lift could be changing the vehicle height by anywhere from 1-5 inches?

Some height measurements would be the best way to check.