Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: LED headlight upgrades

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Going bush, could you give me some brand names on what you have? Is this set up on your beautiful Iveco?
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamFA View Post
    You wouldn't have a link to the ones you purchased, would you?

I've been looking at the LED bulbs for a while, but have been unsure as to whether or not to take the plunge.
    The H7 LED bulbs I purchased were for my Low Beam lights in the Iveco
    photos show the packaging , the comparison with existing H7 Halogen bulb and the truck photo shows Halogen compared to LED ,

the Low beam lights are in the bumper due to ADR , the main headlights are more than 1m off the ground so they can only be used for high beams, the other lights in the bumper are fog lights, still original bulbs, Ive never turned them on.

the ebay item was 221468624250

The high beams on the truck use H1 bulbs , and I chose a different design to the above , ebay item 111305791576 , these LED bulbs have a separate control box which fits onto the main headlight enclosure nicely.

I also have HID's in the unused compartments of the Main Headlights and I find the LED lighting to be almost as good as the HID but without the dipping warm up delay of HID's and in rain or on wet roads the LED's are better, I've yet to have a car flash at me even when I'm late at dipping (not that Im in traffic much at might)

the original Halogen Low beams in the Iveco were absolutely pathetic, the H7 LEDs are about 50% better and are still only just adequate, (but they are only in tiny 4" reflectors.) However the LED H1 Highbeams are 150% better than the Halogens and as good as the Trucklights were on the Defender.

There's a few pics of bulb here that are "dipped" beam only. Are people using these in their headlights? If so, it looks as if the 3rd LED comes on for "main" beam, which won't give you a higher pattern, just more light.

I've been looking at this sort of design, which is supposed to give a true low and high beam pattern.

NEW 2X H4 30W High Beam 22W LOW Beam Cree LED Headlight Bulb FOG Light Lamp KIT | eBay
    I believe these H4 bulbs (or similar) would be OK for a Defender, low and high in the same bulb, part of the H4 specification is the distance between the mounting base and the filament , which would need to be the same on the LED bulb, providing there is room in the enclosure for the fan on the back of the bulb, should be OK, no where near as huge as the fan on the back of my H7's

Also note its perfectly legal to wire your lights so that the Low beam stays on whilst your on High beam, not a bad idea.

Total Downloaded
    There's a few pics of bulb here that are "dipped" beam only. Are people using these in their headlights? If so, it looks as if the 3rd LED comes on for "main" beam, which won't give you a higher pattern, just more light.

I've been looking at this sort of design, which is supposed to give a true low and high beam pattern.

NEW 2X H4 30W High Beam 22W LOW Beam Cree LED Headlight Bulb FOG Light Lamp KIT | eBay
    I was thinking about this too and these look like a better replacement globe.

rijidij is offline ChatterBox Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by BadCo. View Post
    I was thinking about this too and these look like a better replacement globe.
    Given that the single sided globes are supposed to be the 'new 2014 model', I thought it was strange to only make use of half the reflector in the light.
    I think the double sided ones would be my choice.

Cheers, Murray
    '88 County Isuzu 4Bd1 Turbo Intercooled, '96 Defender 130 CC VNT
    '85 Isuzu 120 Trayback, '72 SIIA SWB Diesel Soft Top
    '56 SI Ute Cab

Total Downloaded
    The configuration on that LED in question is similar to the Halogen with offset filaments ,

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456