Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Must Have camper Trailer features?

Total Downloaded

Post Must Have camper Trailer features?

I'm ready now to start turning my little trailer into a 'camper trailer'

so id like to get peoples opinions on what the 'must haves' are for a camper trailer. could be helpful for others who are looking to build there own also.

for me the 'tent' is not a must have in the camper trailer, I think a lot of people will disagree with me on that though.

for me the must have and near enough to the whole reason for my camper trailer build is to have a nice functional easy use Kitchen.

What are everyone else's 'Must haves' for a camper trailer?

The List:
    1- Water on Board
    1i- In Multiple separate/isolated containers/tanks
    2- Gas
    3- Lighting
    4- Kitchen
    4i- Must have ample preparation space
    4ii- Must be able to be screened from insects
    4iii- Protection for the cooking area from wind
    4iiii- Awning to cover the cooking area
    5- Not Cost more than 50% of Tow vehicles value
    6- On board AGM deep cycle Battery system
    7- Solar Charging for on board electrical system
    8- Fridge/Freezer
    8i- must be easy to access

Total Downloaded

Talking

Probably not what you are after, but I would say a trailer must not cost more than half of what my truck is worth...

Total Downloaded
    Id say that is a Pretty good one, though I'm sure there are members on here that are closer to truck worth half the camper 0_0
    for me the goal is closer to 10% of the LR's value tops

Leroy.

Total Downloaded
    Must have water, gas and lighting. Kitchen must be able to be screened from insects.
    Fuji white RRS L494 AB

Total Downloaded
    1. A permanently fitted good quality solar (lots) and AGM battery system to power all electrical needs that charges from the sun while your driving as well as parked.

2. Lots of water storage in separate protected tanks that can be isolated and used individually with an isolation valve for each tank.

3. Dedicated easy to get to area for permanently fitted chest fridge/freezer.

4. Good slide out kitchen area that has protection for the cooker area from wind.

5. If no sleeping tent, which I actually understand, then a awning to cover the cooking and what also might be the eating area and as Geoff said screened from insects.

6. A good easy to connect hitch like a McHitch or a DO35 etc. that does not rattle and gives good articulation.

7. A long and strong enough draw bar that you can fit not only the spare to but a stone guard and a large enough tool / storage box too, which still gives reasonable access.
    Cheers,
    Terry

D1 V8 (Gone)
    D2a HSE V8 (Gone)
    D3 HSE TDV6 (Unfortunately Gone)
    D4 V8

Total Downloaded
    Same wheels, stud pattern and track as the tow vehicle
    PaulT

REMLR 256 / SLOw 4 (P)

W/Shops/trailers & GS's
    RRs, Disco's, 110s & 109s.

Total Downloaded
    Short as practical drawbar so as trailer follows tow vehicle round sharp bends without cutting corners and damaging trailer. And so as you don't bottom drawbar and front of trailer on steep Eco drains and other obstructions, nothing low hanging at front or rear of trailer, Regards Frank.

Total Downloaded
    A bed, and some wheels would be handy. Sorry ha to do it.... I'll put a proper list together after I have a proper think about it

Total Downloaded
    I'm on the iPad so no editing tools, look for KW responses

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy_Riding View Post
    I'm ready now to start turning my little trailer into a 'camper trailer'

so id like to get peoples opinions on what the 'must haves' are for a camper trailer. could be helpful for others who are looking to build there own also.

for me the 'tent' is not a must have in the camper trailer, I think a lot of people will disagree with me on that though.
    KW- not having a tent will make it difficult to cover and screen cooking area....I went with a roof top tent so that it can be moved from camper to 110 as required......drifter kitchens no make a camper trailer, have a look at their website for ideas.

for me the must have and near enough to the whole reason for my camper trailer build is to have a nice functional easy use Kitchen.
    KW - I went drifter, yes expensive but at the time I didn't have time to build a kitchen....if you're handy with wood and have time a good kitchen could be knocked up

What are everyone else's 'Must haves' for a camper trailer?

The List:

1- Water on Board

1i- In Multiple separate/isolated containers/tanks
    KW - I run just one tank, 72L. I am considering a second tank off about the same size

2- Gas
    KW - keep this simple, don't worry about plumbing it in. I run 2 x 3kg cylinders, when one runs out you have plenty of time to have it topped up.

3- Lighting
    KW - LED is the way to go, it's tempting to go overboard. I went to the trouble of installing 2 way switches so that we can control all the lighting from either the bed or kitchen area.

4- Kitchen

4i- Must have ample preparation space KW - drifter with return gives you stacked of space.

4ii- Must be able to be screened from insects KW- have never really needed screening to date........the tentage would assist with this

4iii- Protection for the cooking area from wind

4iiii- Awning to cover the cooking area KW - tentage again would make this easy

5- Not Cost more than 50% of Tow vehicles value
    KW - mate you have a puma 50% of its value gives you plenty of dosh to set up camper

6- On board AGM deep cycle Battery system
    KW - standard

7- Solar Charging for on board electrical system
    KW - portable folding jobbie so you can park camper in shade and have a 10m lead. Fit reg at battery not a solar panel.....convert everything to Anderson plugs.

8- Fridge/Freezer

8i- must be easy to access

I have slowly added, deleted, modified as I have gone along.

From memory you have a series tub? So wheel track is the same?

I really rate the DO35

Total Downloaded
    OK I will challenge some of your needs.

Do you really need a battery in the camper?
    When do you ever use power in the camper when your car is not there so an easy plug in wire is IMHO good enough and light to boot and you don't have yet another battery to maintain when not using the camper.
    I haven't missed it in 8years.
    Awning over cooking are yeah.
    I doubt whether you can have wind free cooking in all weather conditions if the stove is outside.
    I don't have a fridge in mine. It is in the back of the car. Again weight , space etc and then no need for battery. My car is always there when we are camped, and the bonus is that the fridge has food and drinks when you are away on day trips.
    Storage boxes for all the junk you accumulate are necessary. Hoses, brooms, dustpans, lights, spares boxes, Mr filter , fire lighters, wedges for levelling . If tent poles make accessable from outside. Only problem with mine.

If no gas fridge 1x4Kg cylinder will last easily 6 weeks and you can get gas anywhere. last lot I got was the Imintji Store on GRR and the bloke weighed it so it cost no more than they wanted in Broome. LOL

I second the Mc Hitch but I intend to get another "ball" before I go away next as idiots ruined mine in Kununurra and I had to wait 5 days for a new one.
    Room for say 4 jerries if possible. I had 3 extra which got me 99% across the Nullarbor.
    Preparation space? If married you will have to have a table so this is preparation space. 2 comfortable chairs that recline and pack up small and light but also high enough for the table.
    GOOD DUST SEALING.
    If married again and going for long period 240 volt plugs in and out for heater , fan , toaster, electric jug, Aldi coffee machine if at caravan parks.

I would add a great queen size bed that gives a great night sleep and accessible from the bottom, not the side, so you don't have to crawl over each other to go to the loo.
    And my great wife and I just did a 3 month lap in our 1997 Camp'o'matic and we are still happy. With all of the above.

Regard sPhilip A

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast