Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress on My Unimog

Total Downloaded
    Tell him I look forward to seeing it.

Total Downloaded
    It's been a while since an update, so here is a brief report.

Most of the work has been on the overhead console and all the wiring. Glad to say it if finally finished.

This is it pre-upholstery.

and then after they had finished

The shape made it very difficult to get the leatherette smooth in some places, and my choice of the cover material being quite stiff did not help. I think it looks good, and every thing fits very nicely.

I also made a nice little subwoofer enclosure - just need to have the bass

Just a little 12" 2000W Eclipse SW8200. it makes a huge difference to the sound. The only things left to fit for the sound system is the two dash mounted tweeter, and the IPod extension down to the glovebox.

The wiring is almost finished, just have to tidy things up. I am going to label all the wires, it will make fault finding easier in the future. I have over sized all the wires, and have a lot of fuses in the circuits, basically one for each function. I measure the actual current draw, then go to the next available fuse size. As I have relays for nearly all the power circuits, most of the fuses in the dash are 5A, and all the wiring is 15A or heavier.

I have the winch controls and diff lock switches on the dash, I also kept the winch remote socket, should give the best of both worlds. All the switches are the Carling Contura 2 models. There is a lot of them, 24 at last count.

Despite all the wiring, only one is needed to start the truck, the rest are "luxuries"

Now working on the dash - making it higher, for better view of the instruments and to fit all the extra stuff in. I will also have a proper binnacle,- to shade the instruments as I found them difficult to read when the sun is shining directly through.

The screens in the overhead console show the various camera I have. The most important ones for me are the left and right camera.

They show if I will hit anything and vehicles in the lanes next to me. I have have high and low mounted reverse cameras. I can set it up so that the screen come on when put on the indicators, or into reverse, or run in quad screen mode. The screen dim when the headlights are on. The screen will also be used for the on-board computer, when I get around to building it.

Hoping to get some more time to work on the truck soon, my current contract does not leave me with much time to work on the truck at all, but it is coming to an end, but I have already got another offer, just have to decide what is more important at the moment

Total Downloaded
    Are you going to be around on Saturday?? we might bring the 6x6 "Bush Commander" around it is registered now.

Mrs hh
    Series Landy Rescue

Parts, welding, finger folding, Storage, Painting, Fabrication, Restorations,
    Our FB Page..
    https://www.facebook.com/SeriesLR?ref=bookmarks

'51 80", Discovery 2, Defender 130, 101 FC + 20 other Land Rover vehicles

Total Downloaded
    I should be, it will be great so see it. Give me a ring before hand, in case I'm out getting parts

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain_B View Post

I also made a nice little subwoofer enclosure - just need to have the bass

Just a little 12" 2000W Eclipse SW8200. it makes a huge difference to the sound. The only things left to fit for the sound system is the two dash mounted tweeter, and the IPod extension down to the glovebox.
    A 600watt RMS sub in the front! What are you driving it with?! You wont have kidney function left after the first 100kms if you run it hard!

slug_burner is offline TopicToaster Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Given that Bass frequencies are not very directional you maybe better off by reducing the possibility of damage by placing the woofer on an out of the way surface.

Love how it is coming along, great work.
    Quote Originally Posted by benji View Post

Maybe we're expecting too much out of what really is a smallish motor allready pushing 2 tonnes. Just because it's a v8 doesn't mean it's powerfull.

One answer REV IT BABY REV IT!!!

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by singlecell View Post
    A 600watt RMS sub in the front! What are you driving it with?! You wont have kidney function left after the first 100kms if you run it hard!
    I can't run it very hard, hurts my ears too much. Only running 80W RMS at the moment, and have to adjust that do or if overpowers everything else. The numbers are just meant to sound impressive, I had this system in my Jaguar XJ-S, and the sound was just fantastic. That was the main reason for me wanting to fit it, as no point having a great sound system in a box in the shed

Quote Originally Posted by slug_burner View Post
    Given that Bass frequencies are not very directional you maybe better off by reducing the possibility of damage by placing the woofer on an out of the way surface.

Love how it is coming along, great work.
    Thanks, the subwoofer box needs to be a minimum 25lt, with 40lt being optimum. I only managed to get it to 35llt which is a bit better. There is just not enough space inside the Unimog cab to fit it anywhere else. Despite the size of the camper, there is even less available space there, and I will only be able to fit a 10" subwoofer for that sound system. The camper system is more for sound quality than volume though, so that will be more than enough.

The subwoofer grill is all metal, and pretty strong, so hopefully will stand up to the occasional foot when climbing into the back of the camper.

slug_burner is offline TopicToaster Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    I understand that the box size is going to be difficult to accommodate in too many other places. I meant that the actual speaker cone could be placed on one of the other, preferably vertical, surfaces. That way it'll will not catch bread crumbs, spilt cups of coffee or cans of coke. You have built it now, it will probably stay that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by benji View Post

Maybe we're expecting too much out of what really is a smallish motor allready pushing 2 tonnes. Just because it's a v8 doesn't mean it's powerfull.

One answer REV IT BABY REV IT!!!

Total Downloaded
    Back to working on the truck, I have decided to fit a new motor to my truck. I have rebuilt a 170hp motor, and currently the injection pump and injectors are away getting set-up for around 200hp. The old 125hp motor is out, and I have just about finished rebuilding the new motor. I have had all the components of the motor balanced, valves re-done and the head lightly skimmed. The engine is almost completed now, just waiting on a replacement sump, as I found a crack in the one I have, and it is easier to get another one than to get this one repaired.

Here are a couple of videos of the engine rebuild.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUHQMGcD-2E[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucopjM9H8ig[/ame]

I'll compile the rest of the engine re-build over the next few days.

So far I have sent brand new 12 injector nozzles up for testing, and only one has passed. I'll be going up to the diesel shop next week, and will take some photos and video of the what a "good" injector spray pattern in like compared to the "failed" ones. 11 have gone back to the suppliers and another 11 have just arrived, hopefully we can get some decent ones in this batch, or I will just have to send them back until we get two good sets ( I want a spare set for our travels) I have a brand new injection pump, but unfortunately the RSQ governor does not fit on my new block - so I will have to make do with the RSV governor, but will fit the new pump to that governor, at least it has the boost aneroid so should make a bit less smoke.

I also have some high speed axles, the rear one is already fitted, and I'll fit the front one as soon as the engine is in. With the new axles, bigger tyres and the Claas overdrive, and the new motor, I should be able to do 100kph at 2200rpm, just nicely in the power band.

Total Downloaded
    Time for an update. I've gotten loads of work done over the past few weeks, and today was a major milestone, the new engine is in and running.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18VTpnQLgFQ[/ame]

It is really smooth, so looks like all the time and effort balancing everything was worthwhile.

Apart from getting the engine in, most of the work has been in the wiring and all the extras I've fitted to the mog.

Apart from a the air conditioning compressor, and the electric fans, all the wiring is complete. There was a huge amount of wires in this build, because of all the "extras" I have.

I ran out of space under the heater unit, so had to run the wires over the top of the unit as well.

There are a lot of extra things in the overhead console as well.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Q9i-QuDmxq...0/DSC06861.JPG

and that is all complete

The new instrument panel took a bit of sorting out, but that is all done as well

and I think it looks good.

The Range Rover Vogue seats need a bit of rewiring to get rid of some the things controlled by the "Body Control Module" but that is all done. The seat are currently sitting in plastic bags with the "Leatherique" conditioner on them, I had the foam in the seat bases renewed, and a tear in the seat fixed up. Next is to clean them up properly and re-dye them.

Should get stuck into them later this week.

The rear of the truck is now finished, with all the tail lights etc fitted and working.

I need to fit the new front axles, all the auxiliaries like the radiator, the inter cooler, bull bar, etc, then we should be on the road

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast