Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Relocation cones

Total Downloaded
    I went for the X-Eng X-Springs which retain pressure on the ground, without dislocating anything ... seem to work a treat in rough conditions.
    Michael T
    2002 L322 Range Rover TD6, ride almost as good as a Citroen, ... luxury
    Aussie '88 RR Tdi300 (+lpg), Auto (RIP ... now body removed after A pillar, chassis extension to 130 & fire tender tray.)

Total Downloaded
    Just had a look at those X Eng units. genius Idea. Do you relocat the shocks to run them on the front?

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by rrturboD View Post
    I went for the X-Eng X-Springs which retain pressure on the ground, without dislocating anything ... seem to work a treat in rough conditions.
    Cheers mate glad you came along just done a bit of google these look the go best of both worlds only neg ppl say is they can be a bit noisy once full of crud but cones get the same rep so a little more savings and these should sit nicely in the deefa just wish exchange rate would get better... But until then I'll retain my springs

cheers Brian

Total Downloaded
    I initially bought a set for rear of my RRC, along with the raised shock mounts, which I raised further,
    (see http://www.aulro.com/afvb/modified-z...ck-mounts.html)
    and a set of poly bump stops (I cut them down) plus and long travel shocks.
    The combination works extremely well.
    (see SHOW US YOUR FLEX !!!)

I have another set for front (along with airbag RRC shock towers and diff housing), but have not yet fitted. My experience with rear means that I may want to extend the shock towers to give complete compression, using close to standard bump stops.

I'd try rear only, then check the improvement prior to doing front as well.
    Michael T
    2002 L322 Range Rover TD6, ride almost as good as a Citroen, ... luxury
    Aussie '88 RR Tdi300 (+lpg), Auto (RIP ... now body removed after A pillar, chassis extension to 130 & fire tender tray.)

Total Downloaded
    Haha was just about to ask you about what your doing with the fronts might run cones on front and these on rear and see how it goes and like you change over if I need them. Just waiting on a quote for postage now haha so much for waiting

Total Downloaded
    I agree with Isuzu Rover having changed from dislocation cones to flexi coils fully retained at the rear, together with superior flexi arms up front.

Remember the dislocation cones effectively halves your spring rate on the up (return stroke), so the back kicks up and/or rotates about the center ball pivot twice as much with cones compared to located rear springs. The improvement in ride & stability is compelling.

Locating both ends improves the ride and stability off road, forcing the front to flex more - hence the superior arms so it respond to the increase in cross axle rotation. Running 520mm progressive springs rear means no loss of real droop as the rear axle is heavy enough to pull the upper softer lighter coils down.

Choose long springs retained top and bottom for chassis balance during articulation, ride and stability

Clive

Total Downloaded
    Doesn't this all come down to compromise and what would suit a certain build plan and vehicle use...? My understanding with a soft long spring is yes great articulation and offroad ability with out the use of cones but poor road handling and load carrying ability this is fine for a soul purpose car.

I probably should have clarified what I use my 110 for thats daily work when not in my work ute, weekends gets used down the beach fishing and if the winds are no good for that its find some nice rutted tracks in the hills for a play with the odd long weekend or weeks away loaded up with camping gear getting away from it.

This is why at first i was leaning to cones but have now switched to trying the x-eng x-springs after being told about these done a bit of research and they seem to be the happy middle ground.

Cheers Brian

Total Downloaded
    What you say sounds right on paper.

But I've found that having cones & unretained springs means the whole back of the truck rolls and kicks around and/ or up and down on or off road.

When retained, as the truck rolls when changing direction the outside is tied down with captured springs and this increase in roll resistance forces the front to articulate. This increases vehicle stability over bumps and changes of direction.

I would never go back to cones, even for off road performance.

Clive

Total Downloaded
    Well well well,

This thread has turned out to be very interesting. I cant say that I had considered or even ever heard of the X-Eng setup but I think thats where my money would be for best useable flex offroad, though it does seem like the invention of a mad scientist/engineer.

Obviously nor myself or any of the guys on here who are proponents of retained springs are going to just change what we've got based entirely on what someone has said on the internet. BUT I would agree the vehicle can have some pretty jerky characteristics as weight is transferred while moving when using a dislocation kit.

However, I think that the argument for retaining the rear springs in order to force the front to work more is limited. The single best thing you can do to improve flex in the front is use superflex arms or similar, as the actual hardware is what limits the front most when compared to the rear.
    So to my mind you're always going to have a mismatch front to rear unless you go down the 3 and 4 link paths.

I wont put **** on someone else's setup but heres why I think my setup works:

My 130 came with some HD 2" springs already in it, so it can be loaded right up and the springs barely deflect, which in my books is a positive. By fitting the dislocation kit it allows me to keep those heavy springs and improve the droop in the rear and the front.
    Theres a weight difference front to rear when the ute is unladen, meaning, the front will always sit flatter than the rear when unladen, and retaining my rear spring wont change that, as the weight in half an axle housing and a tyre isnt enough to equalize it.
    So what? So I'd rather that rear wheel be in contact with the ground and not free-spinning in the air waiting to shear an axle. though if I'd seen the X-Eng springs Id have those instead of disloc cones.

Anyway, I know that the ride in my 130 is harsh and can be jumpy/bumpy and jerky offroad, but thats the way I like it, and Id rather have the solid springs than soft flexy ones with a sway bar which to me just = more bushes to replace at rego time.

Prepared to admit retained flexy coils probably work better, though I suspect mostly in RRC or Defender 90" setups than in 110 or 130 setups. Interesting to read about the different setups and ideas though, so thank you all.

Total Downloaded
    I used to have cones then I retained top and bottom. Now it flexes an extra 35mm and it makes the front flex more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast