Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning New Puma Owners

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by justinc View Post
    Hi Pat, 60K as a rule. I have more concern over the transfer cases, they get Penrite Pro gear 75w90 full synthetic at 20K intervals....

I have 1 customer that has a MY2007 130 with 180K on it, trans still shifts like new and it has a good hard working life (like a 130 should ) I have been changing his at 60K intervals since new. He has had 1 transfer case, 1 front diff, 1 engine, 1 clutch and a few other bits and bobs but the transmission has been faultless.

JC

What no rear diff?

Total Downloaded
    Hi Duane!!

No, surprisingly not even a weep from the pinion seal, ever!

Had shocks, brakes, rear axles, suspension bushes, bla bla bla you name it. Even started rusting the bulkhead due to poor paint finish from new

He owns a 1988 110 V8 county, 550,000km and it doesn't leak a drop of rain inside the vehicle, and is still on its orginal transfer case and diffs.... had a 3.9 V8 and R380 fitted 15 years back...still on SU's and apart from the 1993 Vogue SE RRC with 390,000km he also has, is the most reliable car he has owned.

JC

JC
    The Isuzu 110. Solid and as dependable as a rock, coming soon with auto box😊
    The Range Rover L322 4.4.TTDV8 ....probably won't bother with the remap..😈

Total Downloaded
    Sounds like my Tdi,can't kill the thing,I might have to change over to Penrite now it's out of warranty. Pat

Total Downloaded
    We took our 110 in for backlash issues and were told it was 'Normal for a Defender'. We took it in again last week for a number of issues including the worsening backlash. Again we were told it was normal. This was after the Service Technician went for a drive with me and admitted there was an issue.

One of the other issues was the Diff-lock/High/Low shifter was not sticking in low and the diff-lock wouldn't stay on. The warranty report stated they changed a large washer for a smaller washer and the washer behind the diff-lock light on the dash was changed for a bigger washer. The selector now works perfectly and for this appears to have fixed the backlash.

They still insisted it was normal in spite of us saying that it felt like a different gearbox to my wife's new 90.

Total Downloaded
    Worsenbing backlash means it'll be flat trayed in there soon, and then they'll find the problem...

JC

Total Downloaded
    My 130 had bad back lash at 70k the boys changed out the rear axels before warranty ran out drives like new again.

Total Downloaded
    excuse my ignorance,
    but what is a backlash?

is it referring to excessive freeplay in the driveline so you will get a "knock" when take off?

Thanks
    Martin

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by tuesdayfox View Post
    excuse my ignorance,
    but what is a backlash?

is it referring to excessive freeplay in the driveline so you will get a "knock" when take off?

Thanks
    Martin
    yes

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    Ashcrofts need to work on a fix,it's no different to the timing belt on the Tdi,output shaft on the LT77 and R380,oil in the Td5 loom etc,just another fix.JC,I was told when I picked it up that LR have come up with a grease to pack them with when fitting and they are trying to find a way to fit a grease point,do you pack them when fitting?. Pat
    Hey Pat and JC, I just thought this link might interest you in regards to Landrover coming up with a solution for the dry adapter shaft splines.
    DEFENDER2.NET - View topic - Another one with worn splines!!

It get's interesting on the 3rd page, it seems that maybe there might be a fix in the works from Land Rover.
    This is of great interest to me as mine is one of the seemingly more prone 2010's. Though with non of the symptoms, yet.
    I have a friend that work's as a service manager for one of the Dealers just outside of Manchester. I haven't been in touch for awhile, but I'll give him a call tomorrow and see if he knows anything.

blackwolf; "The mod consisted of drilling the outer part of the coupling for two diametrically-opposed grease nipples, and drilling a hole in the casing to allow a grease gun to reach the nipples when the shaft is aligned correctly."

ian series 1, post's a picture of the mod;

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by ozy013 View Post
    Hey Pat and JC, I just thought this link might interest you in regards to Landrover coming up with a solution for the dry adapter shaft splines.
    DEFENDER2.NET - View topic - Another one with worn splines!!

It get's interesting on the 3rd page, it seems that maybe there might be a fix in the works from Land Rover.
    This is of great interest to me as mine is one of the seemingly more prone 2010's. Though with non of the symptoms, yet.
    I have a friend that work's as a service manager for one of the Dealers just outside of Manchester. I haven't been in touch for awhile, but I'll give him a call tomorrow and see if he knows anything.

blackwolf; "The mod consisted of drilling the outer part of the coupling for two diametrically-opposed grease nipples, and drilling a hole in the casing to allow a grease gun to reach the nipples when the shaft is aligned correctly."

ian series 1, post's a picture of the mod;
    Thanks, yes thought of something similar but was reluctant to drill into the housing, still I have another one to do shortly so might ask them if they are happy for me to drill their trans to prevent this ever happening again. I have been packing moly grease into them before assembly to date, they fling a bit out but lots will stay behind.

JC

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast