Thread: Another freelander purchase

Total Downloaded

Another freelander purchase

Evening all,

It has been a little while since I last spent time on the forum as I have spent some time outside the muddy oval paddock, but I am planning my return!

I am looking at the freelander in the link below and just wanted people more knowledgable than I to see if there are any red flags I have missed.

I figure if it has good service history and the VCU isn't rooted, it should be a go-er? It seems that popular opinion is that the auto td4 is the pick of the bunch, but what is the expected service life of that gearbox? Can anyone confirm how far their auto box has gone?

Thanks in advance, Matt

Landrover Freelander SE 2002--Turbo diesel AUTO---VGC | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Gold Coast City - Worongary | 1060990554

Total Downloaded
    My brothers 2001 TD4 lost reverse at 190000km. It was purchased with 120000km. Tranny was stripped by a transmission service and found that the intermediate clutch drum had broken and the retaining clip for the clutch plates had fallen out. Tranny was only cleaned and clutch drum replaced (new clutch drum was a different design and strengthened in the clip area). The report on condition of box, torque converter and valve body was it was in good order.
    He sold it with 290000km on it and box was performing perfectly.

Oil was changed every 40000km from when he had it. Auto service recommended fitting one of these filters in the return line from the cooler and to change every 20000km as the auto filter inside the box is unable to be changed without stripping the box.
    Welcome to the Australian Magnefine Website
    It was either 3/8" or 1/2" required, but from memory its 1/2"

Total Downloaded
    Looks like a nice one.
    So did mine when it destroyed its engine at 60 000 ks and went from a $53000 car to $2000 worth of scrap.
    The only new car i ever owned.