Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Explorer 12v Fridge. Does anyone know how to operate them?

Total Downloaded

Explorer 12v Fridge. Does anyone know how to operate them?

Hi Folks.

I've just this morning bought a mint 12v Explorer Fridge.
    The previous owner did not know much about its operation other than it gets cold and stays cold.

I'm asking the forum because it has individual temperature controls for both the freezer and the fridge section and yet it only has one Danfross compressor.

In my limited understanding I would have thought two compressor would have been required to gain individual temperature controls. Am I missing something?
    How do you think this thing works?

Total Downloaded
    Do you not have a fridge freezer at home with two controls or a car with dual temp zones. Same deal with the fridge.

It the compressor only compresses the refrigerant, it doesn't care where it ends up or how it gets back. That is all done by valves and thermostats downstream. It merely means that the refrigerant goes to the evaporators or plates until the thermostat in that zone reaches the required temperature and then shuts off the respective valve and refrigerant no longer flows to that section. If both sections are at or below the various settings, the compressor turns off also.

Total Downloaded
    Good fridges, excellent insulation, super quiet.
    You will find the explorer requires a fair bit of finesse to set temps
    Unfortunately, changing the freezer setting will change the fridge temp. Once you have settings for a full load it will not need much altering but you will muck around a little to get it right.

I would invest in a thermometer in each compartment to allow you to finesse the settings with some level of temperatures.

s

Total Downloaded
    We have one in our slide on camper, very quite and works very well. We have 2 thermometers to regulate the temperatures in each compartment. Yes it took a while to get it right

Mrs hh
    Series Landy Rescue

Parts, welding, finger folding, Storage, Painting, Fabrication, Restorations,
    Our FB Page..
    https://www.facebook.com/SeriesLR?ref=bookmarks

'51 80", Discovery 2, Defender 130, 101 FC + 20 other Land Rover vehicles

Total Downloaded
    Do you guys find them power hungry?

I couldnt find much intormation on them but thought they would draw very little in the way of amps because of all the insulation. Having said that it seems to cycle quite a bit even inside on a mild day. To be fair, it is a 90ltr and has next to nothing in it atm

Total Downloaded
    Any fridge that also freezes will use a lot more power than fridge alone especially if mostly empty, maybe stick a slab in there.
    MY08 TDV6 SE D3- permagrin ooh yeah
    2004 Jayco Freedom tin tent
    1998 Triumph Daytona T595
    1974 VW Kombi bus
    1958 Holden FC special sedan

Total Downloaded
    That works on several fronts. Brilliant

Total Downloaded
    A full fridge is more efficient than an empty fridge, that is because it is hard to cool air and every time you open up the fridge you lose all the cold air. Even if you have water bottles filling the space in the fridge (or as has been said beer), the bottles/cans will retain their temp for the moments the fridge is open and then the compressor has less cold to recover.

Total Downloaded
    We have 120watt solar panel on the roof. longest we have been away was 6 weeks in the Kimberly, didn't plug into power once and the fridge never stoped working, all our lighting is LED's. I would say it doesn't draw much power, however, we did have it loaded the whole time. I find the freezer works brilliantly.

Mrs hh
    Series Landy Rescue

Parts, welding, finger folding, Storage, Painting, Fabrication, Restorations,
    Our FB Page..
    https://www.facebook.com/SeriesLR?ref=bookmarks

'51 80", Discovery 2, Defender 130, 101 FC + 20 other Land Rover vehicles

Total Downloaded
    Thanks Mrs Ho Har.
    How big is your explorer fridge?
    Mines a 90ltr abd cycles about 50%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast