Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hail Damaged Disco 2

Total Downloaded

Hail Damaged Disco 2

My beloved Disco 2 was out in the street and was pelted with golf ball sized hail yesterday.

So now the bonnet, Roof, and all the panels down the driver's side are dented, the roof and bonnet very badly.

So interested in what the best way to deal with insurance is?

This car is far more valuable to me than what I imagine it's agreed value to an insurer would be? but then how do I find out how they will value it.

Any other pitfalls I should worry about.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by mrapocalypse View Post
    My beloved Disco 2 was out in the street and was pelted with golf ball sized hail yesterday.

So now the bonnet, Roof, and all the panels down the driver's side are dented, the roof and bonnet very badly.

So interested in what the best way to deal with insurance is?

This car is far more valuable to me than what I imagine it's agreed value to an insurer would be? but then how do I find out how they will value it.

Any other pitfalls I should worry about.

Ring your insurance company they will have a market value that you've agreed to. The insurer will obviously almost certainly right it off and you'll just have to grab what you need from it. Sorry to hear about this.
    2006 TDV6 Disco

Total Downloaded
    My Commodore is worth more to me than the insurance company. That is why I self insure (third property only).

Fix it yourself and don't claim the insurance.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Marsh View Post
    My Commodore is worth more to me than the insurance company. That is why I self insure (third property only).

Fix it yourself and don't claim the insurance.
    This is what i'd do too, a bonnet and guard is cheap and then its just the roof and that plastic trim from the scuttle to replace.
    Much easier than chasing insurance repairer or hunting for replacement with the little amount they will give you.
    MY08 TDV6 SE D3- permagrin ooh yeah
    2004 Jayco Freedom tin tent
    1998 Triumph Daytona T595
    1974 VW Kombi bus
    1958 Holden FC special sedan

Total Downloaded
    what about one of those suction dent pullers.

Total Downloaded
    If you lodge a claim and don't agree can you withdraw it and just fix it yourself ?
    My excess is $600?..

I can easily replace a bonnet and placcy bit with that and maybe just bog and buff the worst of the rest out.

Not sure.

Insurance companies are a little snowed under in Brisbane at the moment.

My wife's 18 month old VW Polo is pretty knocked about as well but it's not part of there family like the disco. And we just spent $4k getting the engine freshened up!!!

JDNSW is online now RoverLord Silver Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    It is almost certain that the insurer will want to write it off. I am currently in dispute about damage to my 110, but I have a lot better footing than you do, as it is the other bloke's insurer, not mine.

You need to talk to them, but best of luck! Make sure that if you do submit a claim that it is possible for you to withdraw it. And check on the insurer's complaints procedure before you start.

John
    John

JDNSW
    1986 110 County 3.9 diesel
    1970 2a 109 2.25 petrol

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by JDNSW View Post
    It is almost certain that the insurer will want to write it off. I am currently in dispute about damage to my 110, but I have a lot better footing than you do, as it is the other bloke's insurer, not mine.

You need to talk to them, but best of luck! Make sure that if you do submit a claim that it is possible for you to withdraw it. And check on the insurer's complaints procedure before you start.

John
    Good advice. Thanks.

Ian.

Total Downloaded
    Definitely DIY. Even if your insurance didn't want to write it off, they'll have so much on their plate ATM that you'd be doing lots of chasing.
    Bonnet and windscreen plenum cover are easily DIY. As you say, the rest can be bogged.
    CJT has a post in his build thread (in the GCLRO members rides section) where he repaired a dent in his D pillar by drilling small holes in the panel, then placing pop rivets through the holes and pulling the dent out as best as possible with pliers on the 'stalk' of the rivet. The rest was then bogged and repainted.
    Alternatively you could try and find some replacement doors and a rear quarter panel? I know Redback on here has replaced a rear quarter panel before, it's not too tricky.
    As for the roof, you could have a go at minimising the dents yourself but you'd have to drop the roof lining. Or just bog it up, repaint and stick a roof rack on.
    Best of luck with it.
    Cheers
    Muppet
    The Phantom - Oslo Blue 2001 Td5 SE.
    Half dead but will live again!

Nina - Chawton White 2003 Td5 S
    Slowly being improved

Quote Originally Posted by Judo View Post
    You worry me sometimes Muppet!!

Total Downloaded
    I personally would buy some second hand parts and fit them myself if it was my pride and joy.
    If the insurance Co writes it (off as they most likely will) someone else will be able to pick up a perfectly good (mechanically any way) car (yours) for a song, pay a pittance to remove it from the WOVR and the only loser will be you.
    It is only a car after, all and my Fraud Ranger is still going strong even though it still shows hail damage from three years ago. Don't wash it ever again and down the line somewhere you will be able to write the hail damage off as "character marks". The car will still go the same.
    Start watching the Insurance Companies' auction sites now the storm season is upon us, there are bound to be an abundance of "Hail damaged" repairable write offs popping up. Pick one up and use it for the daily hack and you can then leisurely repair yours and return it to its once pristine self.
    Personally I wouldn't bother with an insurance company for what is really a cosmetic complaint on an older model vehicle that is as unpopular (with insurance Companies) as are aluminium bodied European models. There are other ways around it. Think outside the square.
    Best of luck
    Regards
    Glen

1962 P5 3 Ltr Coupe (Gwennie)
    1963 2a gunbuggy 112-722 (Onslow) ex 6 RAR
    1964 2a 88" SWB 113 251 (Daisy) ex JTC

REMLR 226

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast