Thread: Defender - repairing broken door card clips

Total Downloaded

Defender - repairing broken door card clips

If you've had your door cards off more than once or twice you will undoubtedly have a few broken clips. The black male part is easy to replace but if you have broken the yellow nipple they connect to it is a little more problematic as they are a molded part of the door card. I have seen a number of solutions using glues but they don't seem sufficiently robust to enable the card to be removed without breakage.
    My method is to remove any remaining part of the yellow nipple using a small barrel grinder (Dremel?) leaving the large yellow molded part. Mark the centre using an awl and carefully drill through the yellow button using ~2mm drill. I found that there was a void between the door card and the yellow button, take care not to drill into or through the door card itself.
    I used a cut down 6 gauge square drive Robertson type pan-head screw that I had ground its head down until it could just be attached to the black clip, replicating the broken yellow button. A square drive screw is recommended as, even though the head is thinner, the socket is still sufficient to drive the screw and cut a thread into the yellow molding with confidence.
    Reattach the black clip and the door card will attach to the door frame without gaps.

.........peter
    Attached Images Attached Images