Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Misleading Advertising?

Total Downloaded

Misleading Advertising?

Came across this real neat D4 online. Dealer claims it to be a 2012 build MY13 with 3.0L TDV6 and 8 speed. Price looks reasonable for what it claims to be. Sounds great.

Buy the CarFacts History report. Confirms the same. Brilliant.

Check VIN in TOPIx and comes up as a 2011 build MY12 with 2.7L TDV6 and 6 speed. Grrrrrr!

Cross check VIN on a VIN decoder and also prefix on engine number and TOPIx details match.

Do dealers really not have access to this same info! How can this not be considered fraudulent?

Total Downloaded
    Its easy to spot whether it has a 2.7 or 3.0 engine and the 6 or 8 speed gearbox and to read the build date - no need for the seller to have access to Topix. Decoding the VIN for model year shouldn't be a problem either.
    MY12 RRV 4.4 TDV8 AB, +LLAMS, +e-diff, +ACC stop/go. Produce LLAMS for LR/RR, Jeep GC/Dodge Ram
    VK2HFG and APRS W1 digi

Total Downloaded
    Yeah very much also the 8spd has the twist wheel instead of the gear lever so thats also another thing to look for.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Its easy to spot whether it has a 2.7 or 3.0 engine and the 6 or 8 speed gearbox and to read the build date - no need for the seller to have access to Topix. Decoding the VIN for model year shouldn't be a problem either.
    Could not agree more.

To give you an idea of the extent of the "trickery" at play here.

Dealer advertises for sale on a popular car sales website. Loads up wrong info in the advert. Does not advertise VIN but working in conjunction with website provider makes available a car facts report. Gullible buyers sees ad, may buy car facts report, does not realise the car facts report will be generated with misleading information provided by the seller. Report also includes incumbency and stolen vehicle check so looks very official. Buyer now falsely thinks they have confirmed vehicle details.

Dealer will no doubt claim genuine error made. Website will claim they have no responsibility. Car facts report company will claim no responsibility as they only generate report based on info provided by seller in this case. Seller has effectively corrupted the system with misleading info at multiple touch points.

AULRO Land Rover passionate members may not fall for this - but those not as informed could easily be mislead.

Total Downloaded
    the web site can't take responsibility for the dealer putting the ad up, nor can car facts be responsible for false ones given out. It is the dealer doing the dodgy. If you are sure they are knowingly given incorrect info to the buyers then simply contact your state's consumer affairs dept and get them to check it out. The dealer might claim genuine error (and it could be) if its only one maybe two cars, but if they're all like that, not much hope of getting away with it.
    Or advice the dealer accordingly, and if it is not changed, again it can't be in error....

...or post the web ad up here and AULRO can bomb the dealer with emails telling them to fix it....

Total Downloaded
    That would be this one.Definately not an 8 speed.
    Its the W4 D4 that gets spotted all over the show!!!!
    Traded at a Toyota dealer
    Search Results - Cars - Big Rock Toyota
    Andrew
    DISCOVERY IS TO BE DISOWNED
    Midlife Crisis.Im going to get stuck into mine early and ENJOY it.
    Snow White MY14 TDV6 D4
    Alotta Fagina MY14 CAT 12M Motor Grader
    2003 Stacer 525 Sea Master Sport
    I made the 1 millionth AULRO post

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by LandyAndy View Post
    That would be this one.Definately not an 8 speed. Its the W4 D4 that gets spotted all over the show!!!! Traded at a Toyota dealer Search Results - Cars - Big Rock Toyota Andrew
    Seen this at Gordon's home and around town.

Why on earth would he have traded it on a Toymota ? It has been setup so well.

Brett.....

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by discotwinturbo View Post
    Seen this at Gordon's home and around town.

Why on earth would he have traded it on a Toymota ? It has been setup so well.

Brett.....
    With the ks and gear on it the price is pretty good,especially if you can haggle a better deal.
    Ive spotted that one all over the place,was even parked opposite my D4 at the 4WD show,rekon I even asked you was it yours once.
    He doesnt wave so perhaps worth of owning a toyota POS.
    Andrew
    DISCOVERY IS TO BE DISOWNED
    Midlife Crisis.Im going to get stuck into mine early and ENJOY it.
    Snow White MY14 TDV6 D4
    Alotta Fagina MY14 CAT 12M Motor Grader
    2003 Stacer 525 Sea Master Sport
    I made the 1 millionth AULRO post

Total Downloaded
    I used to see this thing regularly on Canning Hwy in the South Perth / Como area on my way back to Adelaide Tce after work. It always had all the goodies bolted onto it, like a spotlessly clean set of MazTrax permanently bolted to the roof - and all the accessories that you could possibly think of - but I seriously doubt if it's ever been off the bitumen (so might indeed be a good buy).

He pulled up next to me at the Brookton Hwy lights when I was coming back into Perth from your place one weekend Andrew - just sat there looking straight ahead - no sign of acknowledgement or a wave or anything like that. Same when I used to see him on Canning Hwy - never even a sideways glance from him.

Probably not a bad thing if he's now driving a Toyota.
    Cheers .........

BMKAL

Total Downloaded
    this might be a stupid question, but is that a d3 engine in it? Don't all the d4s have a pipe running from the radiator into the engine cowling, to the right of the fan cowling?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast