Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Weighbridges - Do we drive on by?

Total Downloaded
    Bear in mind that the referenced NSW site is an interpretation of the law and may not be sufficiently pedantic to fully reflect the legislation. I heard a magistrate issue a warning to the RTA that if they followed their usual practice regarding the start time of a licence suspension then the RTA would be in contempt of court as he had ruled on his interpretation of the law in this instance.
    MY12 RRV 4.4 TDV8 AB, +LLAMS, +e-diff, +ACC stop/go. Produce LLAMS for LR/RR, Jeep GC/Dodge Ram
    VK2HFG and APRS W1 digi

Total Downloaded
    As for not knowing weigh station rules, I know a person who drives a truck loaded with fireworks that's fitted with the necessary front and rear explosives hazard signs. Such vehicles are not allowed by law to enter weigh stations so he drives straight past then looks for a place to stop because RMS like clockwork chase him. He then has to get out his copy of the regulations to convince the inspectors because its news to them.
    MY12 RRV 4.4 TDV8 AB, +LLAMS, +e-diff, +ACC stop/go. Produce LLAMS for LR/RR, Jeep GC/Dodge Ram
    VK2HFG and APRS W1 digi

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by 303gunner View Post
    Brought to my attention by 2 workmates who got busted (separately, different times, different places). 1 lost his job over it at the time because his then employer had a zero tolerance policy for drivers with DUI convictions. Neither were in heavy vehicles at the time and surprised that 0.02 applied while in a car (In fact, one who lost his job was done when HV limit was 0.00% BAC). Appealed it in court, convictions upheld.

It's not very clearly spelt out, but Blood alcohol limits - Alcohol and driving - Alcohol and other drugs - Staying safe - NSW Centre for Road Safety says "drivers of vehicles over 13.9t GVM" (ie MR, HR, HC, MC licences) 0.02

"All other LICENCES" 0.05

You do not need to be IN a heavy Vehicle at the time, just be a Heavy Vehicle licence holder. The limit is applicable to the Licence Class, not the type of vehicle.

PS, It looks like interstate Heavy Vehicle drivers are allowed 0.05, presumably because they have come a long way and could murder a cold one or two by now.
    I don't know what happened in the case of your workmates, seems quite hard done by.
    This is from the most recent NSW laws available here: Road Transport Act 2013 , the past may have been a different story.

NSW Act takes a little more interpreting than the VIC one I posted earlier but the outcome is the same.

"Special category driver" is where truck drivers fall into it with respect to 0.02 BAC

(2) Meaning of ?special category driver?
    For the purposes of this Part, a person is a special category driver in respect of a motor vehicle if:
    (a) the person holds an applicable learner licence or applicable provisional licence for motor vehicles of a class that includes the motor vehicle, or

b - c deleted, irrelevant

(d) the motor vehicle is a coach, or

(e) the motor vehicle is a motor vehicle that has a GVM exceeding 13.9 tonnes, or

Again all references to the motor vehicle being driven not the licence class held

110 Presence of prescribed concentration of alcohol in person?s breath or blood

(1) Offence?novice range prescribed concentration of alcohol Learner or P licence holder
    A novice driver must not, while there is present in the driver?s breath or blood the novice range prescribed concentration of alcohol:
    (a) drive the motor vehicle, or

(b) occupy the driving seat of the motor vehicle and attempt to put the motor vehicle in motion.

(2) Offence?special range prescribed concentration of alcohol instructors or truck drivers
    A person must not, while there is present in the person?s breath or blood the special range prescribed concentration of alcohol:
    (a) if the person is a special category driver in respect of a motor vehicle?drive the motor vehicle, or

(b) if the person is a special category driver in respect of a motor vehicle?occupy the driving seat of a motor vehicle and attempt to put the motor vehicle in motion, or

(c) if the person is a special category supervisor in respect of a motor vehicle and the holder of an applicable driver licence (other than an applicable provisional licence or applicable learner licence)?occupy the seat in a motor vehicle next to a learner driver who is driving the vehicle.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by 303gunner View Post
    As Diana has pointed out above (and I'm sure these are National Regulations), you only need a log book, aka work diary, for vehicles of 12t GVM or higher, and only when over 100km from home. Perhaps stupidly, you can clock up as many hours you like in a light vehicle or close to home, and it won't apparently affect your fatigue levels when you get into a long distance heavy vehicle.

Not more widely considered, but touched on above, is alcohol limits. It doesn't matter WHAT vehicle you are driving (ie Smart Car, Unimog, Kenworth), your alcohol limit remains the same. Your mate with only a car licence can be driving his Commodore at 0.045 and be legal, but you as a "Professional" driver (presumably with slightly higher skills/experience?) get busted driving his Commodore over 0.02. It is a licence condition (MR, HR, HC, MC), and does not get waived for lighter vehicles.

I think Mick will tell you any time you drive a Commodore, you're likely to get busted.
    No, this isnt right.
    I am 99% certain that the alcohol limit applies top the class of licence you are using at the time..

eg:
    truck, heavy, bus =0.00%
    car, station wagon etc =0.05%

That is the way it is here and Im very confident nation wide...
    (as I type this I realise i havent finished reading this thread so this may have already been covered, if so..sorry )

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transpo...driver-fatigue

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transpo...sked-questions
    (REMLR 235/MVCA 9) 80" -'49.(RUST), -'50 & '52. (53-parts) 88" -57 s1, -'63 -s2a -GS x 2-"Horrie"-112-769, "Vet"-112-429(-Vietnam-PRE 1ATF '65) ('66, s2a-as UN CIVPOL), Hans '73- s3 109" '56 s1 x2 77- s3 van (gone)& '12- 110

Total Downloaded
    I emailed the SAPOL Traffic Division (SA Police) regarding the limits on alcohol and your license type, and this is their reply:

Good morning David

When driving a car on a full licence, your blood alcohol reading must be under 0.05. If you record a reading of 0.05 you are committing an offence.

When driving a truck or a bus your reading must be zero. There is no tolerance in this reading.

The following statement is incorrect - I have been told by someone that having an HR license means that I must be zero BAC even when driving a car, because the alcohol limit goes with the license type, not the vehicle you are driving.

Have a nice day

p38arover is offline Major part of the heart and soul of AULRO.com
    Administrator
    I'm here to help you!
    Gold Subscriber
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Marsh View Post
    There is a public weighbridge on the Calder at the servo near "The Thunderdome". Pay your money and weigh it there. About $20 I think.
    I recently went to a public weighbridge with the P38A. The operator asked if I needed a certificate for rego, if so, $25. Otherwise just have a look at the computer screen - free.
    Ron B.
    VK2OTC

2003 L322 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Auto
    2007 Yamaha XJR1300
    Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA

RIP Bucko - Riding on Forever

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by p38arover View Post
    I recently went to a public weighbridge with the P38A. The operator asked if I needed a certificate for rego, if so, $25. Otherwise just have a look at the computer screen - free.
    I needed weighbridge tickets to register the Perentie and the 1 Ton Cargo trailer.
    They cost me $20 each. The weighbridge at servo near The Thunderdome is self service.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234