Page 41 of 71 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: D4 Electric Trailer Brake Wiring

LRD414 is online now Super Moderator Subscriber
    Total Downloaded

D4 diode position

Sniegy updated his D4 instruction to include the diode (as instructed by LR), so I believe the principal of the diode position is the same in both D3 and D4. That is, as per this sketch I've copied from the D3 thread. So as I see it, it is just the wire colour that's changed for the D4; red instead of green/purple.

But I still don't understand how the manual override can light the vehicle brake light as well as the trailer brake light using this wiring.

Regards,
    Scott

D4 TDV6 MY14 with Llams, Tuffant Wheels, Traxide DBS, APT sliders & protection plates, Prospeed Winch Mount w/ Carbon 12K, Mitch Hitch & Drifta Drawers
    Link to my D4 Build Thread
    D3 2005 V8 Petrol
    Ex '77 RRC 2 door. Long gone but not forgotten.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by LRD414 View Post
    Sniegy updated his D4 instruction to include the diode (as instructed by LR), so I believe the principal of the diode position is the same in both D3 and D4. That is, as per this sketch I've copied from the D3 thread. So as I see it, it is just the wire colour that's changed for the D4; red instead of green/purple.

But I still don't understand how the manual override can light the vehicle brake light as well as the trailer brake light using this wiring.

Regards,
    Scott

This whole EBC thing drives me nuts. First time we use the Towpro we will have 2.6T behind us, not knowing whether it's going to work properly or not.

Anyway Scott, I just ran another test and found that my test light illuminated on Pin 6 when pushing the knob on dash. Which makes sense, manual override will illuminate the trailer brake lights. But again like you I don't understand how it would illuminate the vehicle lights. Moreover, mine doesn't.

Total Downloaded
    OK I think I now understand for a D4.

The diode is fitted on the red wire between the CJB and where the Brake Light Input wire joins the Red Wire.

Then if the manual override is used on the brake controller the Brake Control will send power down through the red wire to the trailer lights. The car wont see this power due to the Diode blocking it and therefore the car brake lights will not illuminate.

There seems to be no way to make the car brake lights illuminate when using the Brake Controller override.

Anyone have any improvement on this theory? Is it legal for the car brake lights not to come on?

Peter

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverLander View Post

The diode is fitted on the red wire between the CJB and where the Brake Light Input wire joins the Red Wire.

Then if the manual override is used on the brake controller the Brake Control will send power down through the red wire to the trailer brakes. The car wont see this power due to the Diode blocking it and therefore the car brake lights will not illuminate.

There seems to be no way to make the car brake lights illuminate when using the Brake Controller override.

Anyone have any improvement on this theory? Is it legal for the car brake lights not to come on?

Peter
    Whilst I can't confirm this without pulling my vehicle into 1000 pieces, I am fairly convinced my auto elec didn't put in a diode. And my vehicle lights don't illuminate on push of knob.

And to be frank, how many auto electricians that fit these would be familiar with the Landrover technicalities around fitting the diode? I would hedge a bet that the vast majority of tow pros fitted to Disco's don't have a diode fitted.

Happy for someone to prove me wrong on that though.

LRD414 is online now Super Moderator Subscriber
    Total Downloaded

diode

Quote Originally Posted by RoverLander View Post

Then if the manual override is used on the brake controller the Brake Control will send power down through the red wire to the trailer brakes. The car won't see this power due to the Diode blocking it and therefore the car brake lights will not illuminate.

Peter, I think it's slightly different. The red wire powers the trailer lights when on manual override and is the brake signal input when in automatic mode.

It's the blue variable voltage wire to pin 5 that powers the trailer brakes.

Regarding legality, I don't know. But to my way of thinking the manual override is trailer functionality so should illuminate the trailer lights. It is not controlling the vehicle brakes. Therefore vehicle lights should be not be mandatory. I equate vehicle tail lights to the vehicle foot brake. Of course, this is just my opinion, I'm not sure on legality.

Regards,
    Scott
    D4 TDV6 MY14 with Llams, Tuffant Wheels, Traxide DBS, APT sliders & protection plates, Prospeed Winch Mount w/ Carbon 12K, Mitch Hitch & Drifta Drawers
    Link to my D4 Build Thread
    D3 2005 V8 Petrol
    Ex '77 RRC 2 door. Long gone but not forgotten.

Total Downloaded
    The diode is there for 1 purpose,IF there is a malfunction in the electric brake solenoids 12V power cannot flow backwards to the CJB which could cause a catastrophic failure of the CJB.
    With the Tow Pro when you are pressing the manual button to get brake lights is the blue "breathing" led pulsing???? IF SO,read the manual,this means the Tow Pro is in sleep mode as there is no trailer connected.
    Connect a trailer and see if you get manual break lights.You will also note the Tow Pro does not glow red like a normal EBC without a trailer connected.
    Im yet to connect an electric braked trailer up to mine to calibrate,can somebody with a trailer easy to connect up and confirm for these people,plus the one that contacted me via PM that the brake lights will operate manually when connected,plus the red LED on the knob lights with brake application.
    I was concerned when I wired mine,when I read the book of words again I wasnt too bothered,waiting to connect up and calibrate.
    Thanks
    Andrew
    DISCOVERY IS TO BE DISOWNED
    Midlife Crisis.Im going to get stuck into mine early and ENJOY it.
    Snow White MY14 TDV6 D4
    Alotta Fagina MY14 CAT 12M Motor Grader
    2003 Stacer 525 Sea Master Sport
    I made the 1 millionth AULRO post

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by LandyAndy View Post
    The diode is there for 1 purpose,IF there is a malfunction in the electric brake solenoids 12V power cannot flow backwards to the CJB which could cause a catastrophic failure of the CJB.
    With the Tow Pro when you are pressing the manual button to get brake lights is the blue "breathing" led pulsing???? IF SO,read the manual,this means the Tow Pro is in sleep mode as there is no trailer connected.
    Connect a trailer and see if you get manual break lights.You will also note the Tow Pro does not glow red like a normal EBC without a trailer connected.
    Im yet to connect an electric braked trailer up to mine to calibrate,can somebody with a trailer easy to connect up and confirm for these people,plus the one that contacted me via PM that the brake lights will operate manually when connected,plus the red LED on the knob lights with brake application.
    I was concerned when I wired mine,when I read the book of words again I wasnt too bothered,waiting to connect up and calibrate.
    Thanks
    Andrew
    Can't help you, I don't own a trailer.

Mine is also yet to be calibrated. All testing I've done so far is in 'sleep' mode.

Total Downloaded
    My D4 is out of the shed for cleaning,when I put it away tommorow I will plug it into the camper trailer to see if the lights do work manually when connected,I expect they will.Trailer is towable,BUT as its an on going project its got all sorts of junk piled up on it so too hard to get it out for calibration.
    Sniegys wiring mod is to delete the european system,before and after cutting my wires testing at the trailer plug with a multimeter confirmed the modification worked.
    Andrew
    DISCOVERY IS TO BE DISOWNED
    Midlife Crisis.Im going to get stuck into mine early and ENJOY it.
    Snow White MY14 TDV6 D4
    Alotta Fagina MY14 CAT 12M Motor Grader
    2003 Stacer 525 Sea Master Sport
    I made the 1 millionth AULRO post

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by LRD414 View Post
    Peter, I think it's slightly different. The red wire powers the trailer lights when on manual override and is the brake signal input when in automatic mode.

It's the blue variable voltage wire to pin 5 that powers the trailer brakes.

Regarding legality, I don't know. But to my way of thinking the manual override is trailer functionality so should illuminate the trailer lights. It is not controlling the vehicle brakes. Therefore vehicle lights should be not be mandatory. I equate vehicle tail lights to the vehicle foot brake. Of course, this is just my opinion, I'm not sure on legality.

Regards,
    Scott
    Hi Scott, you are right... That part of my post should have said trailer lights (not brakes). I will edit it. So we hree the car brake lights wont come on when the manual override on the EBC is used.

Peter

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by rar110 View Post
    Jon did you mount the module in the rear driver side or passenger side of the RRV?
    Driver's side. I have a Traxide dual battery system in there as well. I figured that seeing as I had power and all the trailer wiring on that side, it makes sense to put the brain box there. I mounted it off the original mounts for the fuel door latch mechanism.

Page 41 of 71 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast